1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 109
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/23/20 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Bill Mesker :

iPhone app purchases go with you to a new phone just fine. You can even run them on multiple devices as long as the devices are all signed into the same iCloud / App Store account. 

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
1/23/20 10:49 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Ah. That's good to know.

mke
mke HalfDork
1/24/20 6:05 a.m.

In reply to Bill Mesker :

not that any self-respecting person would own an ianything ;)  That was the only option at my last work...it mostly sat in the the desk drawer, hated everything about it.

Here's the concern....its a free download so neither apple or google have any control over the money, that appears to get charged by the vendor directly so its linked to an account with them not with the the phone.  I have had several software purchases setup this way vanish with HW replacement over the years

mke
mke HalfDork
1/24/20 6:10 a.m.
Eurotrash_Ranch said:

My understanding is that this is identical to dealer service software, if not the actual software.

The install instructions certain have that "Im cracked software" feel about them so I'd believe it IS the dealer software

Out of all of the tools in the suite, I have only really used INPA to pull and clear codes. Once you start to use it, it gets pretty intuitive.

Thanks, I'll finish the install and give it a try.

mke
mke HalfDork
1/24/20 9:03 a.m.
mke said:
Eurotrash_Ranch said:

Out of all of the tools in the suite, I have only really used INPA to pull and clear codes. Once you start to use it, it gets pretty intuitive.

Thanks, I'll finish the install and give it a try.

It installed ok but doesn't work with the obdlink sx cable which as I said is nearly worthless so I'll return it I guess.  For ford, GM and a few others they have more stuff so its probably ok but on the bmw its really not ok.  Ordered the bimmergeeks cable.

A lot of waiting and lost time on this project as trying to do 1 thing leads to the need to fix something else nd more waiting for parts or tools.  yesterday the ball joints came but I stripped a torx bolt head and my driver....waiting fo both now along with the axle nut to be sure it screws on and I don't need an new axle before I assemble ...I've been not wanting to put apart the rear while the front is in bits but I guess I need to to keep moving.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
1/24/20 9:10 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I gotcha. I didn't know if you were using it on a smartphone hence my comment haha. And it was the same with me. Worked for a former Sears store in my area and iOS was the only thing we really used. It was just odd because I've only used Android and briefly BlackBerry way before they decided that they would use the Android OS. I guess when you get stuck in your ways of using one platform, anything else feels weird.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
2/6/20 6:00 p.m.

Wow.  Speechless on this one!

Storz
Storz SuperDork
2/6/20 6:03 p.m.
NorseDave said:
jdogg said:

Absolute mad man. My favorite build thread on GRM right now

I feel like calling this a "build thread" is like calling the moon the "big piece of cheese in the sky."  I don't know what to call this, other than insanity.  Carry on.

seriously, this is just an entire level of insanity and I love it

mke
mke HalfDork
2/7/20 6:55 a.m.

The progress I was making more than slowed as I decided I had to do something on the BWM and then it happened......the bill for the new shop came fully due.  I thought, naively I must admit, that between the patio rebuild and pretty serious restructuring to allow a wall removal I'd paid the shop construction bill......but no.  Back when the fire happened the HVAC got filled with smoke/soot and while the insurance company cleaned and sealed it the main trunks are fiber board and forever black which Lana sees as forever dirty.  That was just a  bomb waiting to explode and when she found an "AMAZING DEAL!!!!" on air hockey and foosball tables the fuse was lit and now a finished basement with new ducts, nice walls ceiling, floor, more windows, something with the stairs, about 50 new lights, and I think includes a lot of new furniture where the shop used to be is required to "fix the ducts". E36 M3.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
2/7/20 9:07 a.m.

Well, for what it's worth I'm a lot more excited about basement reno updates than iPhone vs Android discussions. laugh

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
2/13/20 6:15 p.m.

Regarding the BMW cam position faults:

Check the oil filter cap center core/drainback plug assembly, if it was discarded during an oil service you will get 2A98 ​​​​​ 2A82  2A99 2A87 cam position + correlation faults as a result of low oil pressure. The oil pressure may not be low enough to trigger a low pressure warning but the vanos cannot operate correctly.

If that center schmeckle is missing you've found the problem.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-oil-filter-housing-cap-11421744000?ads_cmpid=1586640911&ads_adid=59893888775&ads_matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=298302526031&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-327620319311&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=CjwKCAiAhJTyBRAvEiwAln2qBwGZsdqu5lt4Cp9Ob9pPD4v5TYMyiz-msEAVzVwZCXr4_IzCldPgqBoCbFoQAvD_BwE

R56fanatic
R56fanatic New Reader
2/13/20 6:22 p.m.
mke said:

The progress I was making more than slowed as I decided I had to do something on the BWM and then it happened......the bill for the new shop came fully due.  I thought, naively I must admit, that between the patio rebuild and pretty serious restructuring to allow a wall removal I'd paid the shop construction bill......but no.  Back when the fire happened the HVAC got filled with smoke/soot and while the insurance company cleaned and sealed it the main trunks are fiber board and forever black which Lana sees as forever dirty.  That was just a  bomb waiting to explode and when she found an "AMAZING DEAL!!!!" on air hockey and foosball tables the fuse was lit and now a finished basement with new ducts, nice walls ceiling, floor, more windows, something with the stairs, about 50 new lights, and I think includes a lot of new furniture where the shop used to be is required to "fix the ducts". E36 M3.

What's the "grosh" equivalent for "basement"? 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/21/20 5:58 p.m.

Damn. 

that is all. Just...... 

damn

mke
mke HalfDork
2/24/20 6:35 a.m.

Still waiting on cylinders, still wishing the bmw would at least stop getting new faults, just going to drive it until the tires are shot then throw it out I guess.  

The real news in the basement work has started with an unplanned item.  Talking it just seemed such a shame to waste the​​​​​​ natural light available from a southern exposure and how hard could it be to remove a foundation wall and replace it with the glass doors that are only $528 each at homedepot?

The answer of course it hard but the doors are in and just need molding a stucco repair....and yes it will need a patio.....with a retaining wall....and I'm told a fireplace (still haven't won the death star battle :(  ).

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/24/20 6:40 a.m.

In reply to mke :

Wow... that's quite a change to the basement facade.

And there's a reason why I used to call the ex's '97 M3 "The Christmas Tree" - because it was great and dash lights were constantly flashing.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
2/24/20 10:22 a.m.

Holy damn this thread delivers. Come for the V12 hacking, stay for the Parallam.

The scope and quality of the work you're doing at home and in the shop remind me of Gregor Halenda.

Eurotrash_Ranch
Eurotrash_Ranch New Reader
2/24/20 11:25 a.m.

Any luck with the Bimmergeeks cable and the software for diagnosing the BMW?

I'm impressed with the basement doors you added, that is a lot of work. 

You going to do the stucco repair yourself?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
2/24/20 7:25 p.m.

Using the engine hoist to support the jackhammer is some seriously next level grassroots thinking.  I love all of it!

mke
mke HalfDork
2/25/20 4:59 a.m.
Eurotrash_Ranch said:

Any luck with the Bimmergeeks cable and the software for diagnosing the BMW?

I got the adapter from them but haven't gotten to try it....working on rear wheel bearings and shocks.  The plan in my head is to just make sure nothing important is going to fall off and drive it another 20k miles until the current tires are tired...then buy a subaru that has steel wheels, uses cheap tires,  and runs on regular gas, a proper commuter car.  I'll be sad its slow and ugly but there are just better places for me to spent time and money than repairing my DD.

I'm impressed with the basement doors you added, that is a lot of work. 

You going to do the stucco repair yourself?

I think is a couple weeks once Ive semi-forgetten the pain, the light the new doors let in will make it worth the effort.  It is much brighter now.  Yes, I'll do the stucco, I got quite a lot of practice on patio wall and found a pre-mix color that is a pretty good match to the faded house....just need it to get warm enough so I'm sure it won't freeze at night.

mke
mke HalfDork
2/25/20 5:10 a.m.

In reply to ansonivan :

I found something online that said check the filter and everything looked right.  Last week I replaced the vanos return valves?, one looked fine the one the screen was jut covered with gick and not just sludge, some of it felt hard/gritty.  I think the only way to fix it is to ter the engine apart which ain't just happening. It seems to not have tolerated my really poor maintainable schedule very well.

mke
mke HalfDork
2/25/20 5:58 a.m.
golfduke said:

Using the engine hoist to support the jackhammer is some seriously next level grassroots thinking.  I love all of it!

Using the engine hoist makes it seem like progress on the car :)

...plus the jackhmmer is frikin heavy.  Its 30lb plus the bit, so maybe 35 total and I had it a week.  When I returned it the guy at the rental counter was "I'll bet you're glad to see this go" as he did the paparwork then the guy at the rental loading dock made the exact same comment as he checked it back in.  Jackhammering a wall is just a horrible job, even with the hoist helping out.....I'll think twice before trying that again.  I guess the right way to do it is rent a skidsteer with jack hammer and a bucket to  clean up the rubble....but that would be around $500/day plus delivery vs. the handleheld was $235 for the week and I have a mower with a cart so with "free" labor it made sense I guess.

The 16" demo saw I rented for  day was also 30lbs...what a beast.

mke
mke HalfDork
2/25/20 6:26 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to mke :

Wow... that's quite a change to the basement facade.

And Lana said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And Lana saw that the light was good.....

.....of course it took me a week of really frikin hard work to make it happen :)

mke
mke HalfDork
2/26/20 7:07 a.m.

It was above freezing last night so I braved morning drizzle to finish the molding, flashing and prep for stucco in the afternoon when the get the base coat on so now it's at water tight. Now just wait until its warm enough for the top coat so it can be done 

mke
mke HalfDork
2/27/20 7:13 a.m.

Put the BWM back together yesterday and pulled it out of the shop....I've decided to just accept that its terminal and I'll drive it, avoiding towns where I know they routinely sit looking at inspection stickers as you drive past, until the newish tires are worn out...maybe in the summer/fall time frame.  While I was working on it I got an email telling me the ferrari cylinders were done and will ship today.  Good timing that the shop is now empty of unwanted projects.

The one hitch is that the new ductwork I ordered should arrive any day and I'll need to install that.  This is to replace the fiber ducts that are all still all soot inside from the ferrari fire...the cleaners sprayed an acrylic sealer in them but if you touch then your hand comes out covered with soot so clearly not effective solution and Lana says they need to go.  

I'll also be adding a 5th run to add heat to the basement.  I'd prefer infloor heat but that would be like $10k-15k (that I don't have) in materials vs maybe $1000 to just tie in to the more efficient geo forced air.  I set the new doors an inch up so if in the future there is budget for the floor heat its possible and we'll probably want the ducts for AC anyway so nothing wasted.  

The new duct I'm going with steel with can be cleaned should it even be required and they are only 8" tall vs 10" for the fiber so 2" more basement ceiling height.  With 5 runs (the return for 1st and basement will be common with zoning dampers on the feeds)  going the length of the house on 1 side of the main steel beam there isn't a lot of space left for lights so I need to have the lighting plan sorted soon.  Also I'm hoping to avoid boxing around them with framing....I think I can rip some 2x10s to like 8 or 8.25" tall and screw them to the joists along the ducts so I can drywall basically right to the bottom of the ducts and save another 1.5" of ceiling height....its not really low at around 8ft but its such a big. long space I'm just afraid it will look low and keeping it as tall as possible is more planning but not any more work or cost so it seems worth thinking about.

...but the engine is up right after the ducts :)

mke
mke HalfDork
2/29/20 8:59 a.m.

Thursday I got the tracking on the cylinders!.... Friday my release date changed :(

1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MuqQuzmitpkrOXXnER2KgIji0uJxjkLbeISo58QYpi49nGyLutNsZOPfL25vNvHW