1 2 3 4 5
The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/4/18 11:10 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I haven't seen the entire specs on it yet, they're promising them eventually, but Damond Motorsports has an 11 second MS6 on the K04 Turbo with a stock block.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/5/18 8:34 a.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I haven't seen the entire specs on it yet, they're promising them eventually, but Damond Motorsports has an 11 second MS6 on the K04 Turbo with a stock block.

Too sweet.....what a Qship that would be.....nuthin' but taillights yes!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/5/18 8:52 a.m.
MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/5/18 9:10 a.m.

meh tough to tell. I definitely wouldn't run an intake on one w/out a tune. I won't be doing anything to mine until I get an accessport. Then I'll probably just stack parts until I can do it all at once. Talked to corksport yesterday & they have zero spare parts laying around for that fmic/ram air intake anymore with no plans on making it again. lame. On the plus side, these share an engine with the cx7 too so if you can do the work yourself, a spare engine isn't impossible to find. I am curious about the CX fmic kit though. Its waaaay cheaper than all the others but I'd be iffy about the quality/fitment because of that. I imagine there is less testing, more of a "ok it fits, sell it!" type approach at that price.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/5/18 2:23 p.m.
MazdaFace said:

meh tough to tell. I definitely wouldn't run an intake on one w/out a tune. I won't be doing anything to mine until I get an accessport. Then I'll probably just stack parts until I can do it all at once.

That's what I did with my MS3, of course it was easier for me because I was in Afghanistan ordering parts to pile up when I was specing out what I wanted. (Side note coming home to a 6' x 5' pile of parts is the best Christmas in July).

The Cobb Accessport gets you decent maps but they're all setup for the stock sized 2.6" intake so if you have higher power levels in mind and want a 3" or 3.5" you'll need a basic flash tune from another vendor. Cobbs OTS maps leave quite a bit on the table too.

Stratified Automotive Controls will put a flash tune together the JBR 3" intake for 50 dollars and calibrate it to handle some supporting modifications outside of swapping the turbo. Their custom tune though.... Man I have nothing except good things to say about what they did with mine. They were great to work with since I'd disappear for months for work and they were always ready to pick back up where we left off. It's absolutely astonishing how much of a difference it made from flash to full custom.

Bonus points for them because if I swap something they'll help me out with retuning the car for less than another full tune.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/5/18 2:27 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Depends on the engine noise I guess. The DISI engine can be a little loud in general, it's possible there's some problems with the fueling and that intake without a tune with that many miles though. On the flip side the shell and interior still look pretty good. Last I saw long blocks were in the 2k neighborhood from the wreckers so if the motor is a write off you're still right around 5k and your time. Too bad that's so far from me or I'd offer to go look at it.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/5/18 2:34 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I'm planning on going with either cobb or corksports equivalent intake so nothing to crazy. Really not looking for huge numbers with this thing, just want a bit more power than I have now. So leaving a lot on the table for the sake of reliability is perfectly ok with me.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/5/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

I ended up going with the 3" intake because my goal was around 350hp and 350 tq at the wheels on a stock block. Made it so I'm trying not to go too much further over the edge. Stratified recommends a 3" or larger intake if you're going to go to a larger turbo. Since that was the end goal, I bought it so I didn't have to buy a second intake.

I will note though that, while turbo noises are fun, the stock BPV with a 3" intake is loud as hell. It was fun for a little while but it didn't take long to get over it. The CS BPV quieted things down enough that I can have clients along with me in the car and still act like an adult, sort of anyway.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/5/18 3:13 p.m.

I have a turbosmart dual port on it now (literally the only modification I've made to it) and love it. It gives me the ricer pshh I was craving but without the stumbling & cel's I would get with a BOV that doesn't recirc at all. That Stratified article was a good read thanks for that link! I suppose since I'm doing it all at once the 3" intake is probably the better route to go. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/8/18 2:07 p.m.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/FMIgD"><a href="//imgur.com/FMIgD"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hopefully that works. Fog lights are yellow now but no pictures of that yet. Next project is going to start attempting a roof rack install. Apparently the factory mounting points are under the rain gutters, so you just have to figure out where they are and drill in the gutters accordingly. Going to try to use my Thule rack from the e46 but will most likely just use the Yakima setup everyone seems to use online.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/8/18 2:15 p.m.

With Imgur you want to right click and use "Copy image location" so it picks up the extension and the i.imgur.com/something.jpeg or just copy the direct link text after you upload then stuff it into the boards photo link.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/8/18 2:23 p.m.

Thanks for posting that for me! That slab is now a building that I need to wire for power/lights. Lift is getting ordered for it later this week. It will be nice to be able to haul my bikes around once I get a rack on it. Would be amazing if I could use the Thule rack I already have but I am rarely that lucky when it comes to modifying cars 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/16/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Damond Motorsports Released what they did to get an 11 second stock turbo MS6. 

They're current goal is sub-9 which would make it the fastest Duratec car in existence.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/17/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Pretty impressive stuff. surprise

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/19/18 12:10 p.m.

Well the mazdaface has forced my hand as far as mods go. Next payday hopefully ordering the juggernaut/dreadnaught combo from SURE motorsports. Bit of a clunk shifting from 3rd-4th under boost in the rear. 11 year old car, I'd say its not that much of a stretch to say pretty much anything rubber needs replaced. Might as well start at the back & work my way up to the front. Luckily I'll have access to a lift to do this with devil 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/19/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

I don't know if SU's quality have improved or not but the Mazdaspeed community sure likes to E36 M3 on them due to a problem with broken RMM's and refusal to make it right. But FYI the Corksport one is like 20 bucks cheaper wink

I use CP-E engine mounts on my MS3. They're damn near indestructible and actually aren't that bad in terms of NVH. Edge has the CP-E one for 266.  I have to admit the welds looks a little heinous on it.

Edit: That's weird the link overwrote for Edgeautosport on both. I'll chalk it up to my phone.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/18 2:50 p.m.

I had a '06 Speed6 and even did open track events with it for 2 seasons.  

Bottom line is that I had just about everything in the Corksport catalog including their rear diff. mount and early edition (corrected) fuel pump internals.  

I ran the stock Accessport 93 octane tune all the time (hottest stock tune I believe).  

I had zero problems and the car was a blast.  Maybe a bit of goofy balance suspension wise, but that might have been my Koni's and Eibach springs.  It was a fun car and wild good in Michigan snow.  My car was Black Cherry Mica and it was a total sleeper.  

For intercooler, I had found a Corksport top mount locally for $150 but really didn't notice any difference for the money spent.  I'd upgrade there last.  

I'd start with the CS rear diff mount and engine sway mount (I had a SURE mount go bad, so don't go there).  Next I'd do HPFP internals, then an Accessport.  Don't forget a braded clutch line as the old rubber ones will fail.  

Sold my car about 2 years ago and it's still a solid running car according to the last FB post & pic.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/19/18 2:54 p.m.

The tmic upgrade is worthless. Go straight to front mount. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
1/19/18 2:57 p.m.
Mndsm said:

The tmic upgrade is worthless. Go straight to front mount. 

Yea for the MS6 especially. Mazda learned a bunch with the MS6 and applied it to the first Gen MS3 (though there's a reason the second gen MS3 has a scoop.) MS6 never got get the aero tricks used duct air from the front of the MS3 from the aftermarket. FMIC is really the way to go if you're going to build any power.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/19/18 4:05 p.m.

FMIC is definitely on my list of things to do down the line, but the TMIC isn't currently broken so it's not very high up on the daily driver priority list. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/19/18 4:08 p.m.

Looked into the corksport mount & thats definitely the route I'll be going. Looks like a solid piece & it has pretty good reviews as well.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/28/18 5:28 p.m.

Corksports bypass hose showed up yesterday. JBR boost tubes should be here tomorrow. Trying to cover all my bases as far as replacing old rubber hoses and clamps that don't seem to tighten right anymore. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/30/18 5:19 a.m.

JBR boost tubes are here. Installing next Sunday (my next day off). Also sent a little oil change sticker. Pretty neat. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
1/31/18 12:59 p.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

I saw this on another vendors website, but I do business with EdgeAutosport. If you're seriously looking for a FMIC Treadstone kits are still available.

I think you can just get the piping kit still if you don't want to cut or change out your crashbar by running a TR6 core instead of the TR8.

JBR and CS kits are NLA, CP-E really only sells the Atmosphere kits, and CX Racing is always a mixed bag. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/31/18 2:31 p.m.

No front mount anytime soon for me. I did order the corksport rear diff mount today though. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18oKXMPk69ahMtsG2P9ROTe4tLY4NLuOvuqHQ9YK38yLsD5nQmgafSOUqfzNSbTz