1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/20/18 1:15 p.m.

I've been to that gas station but because of the trailer I used the pump on the other side of you. So glad you're liking the Miata. Drive safe. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/20/18 1:55 p.m.

Decided to check shock settings while I was checking the oil. Full soft. Not particularly soft. I am using/leaking oil so I'll need to grab some. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/20/18 4:36 p.m.

32.8mpg on the first tank. Nice.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/18 4:49 p.m.

Silence of my phone is a good thing.  BTW i saw that thing we talked about and made an offer.  She’s going to run it by her dad and try and convince him to take it if he thinks it should be higher.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/20/18 4:58 p.m.

Go seth!

mazdeuce - Seth
10/20/18 10:22 p.m.

Maybe not the worlds best road trip car. The wind noise got a ton better when the constant 30mph head wind let up after dark. It's not quiet, but I can listen to podcasts with just my phone speaker, so it's not too bad. About half way home and nestled in at a hotel only slightly cheaper and slightly less safe than sleeping in the car at an unlit rest area. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/21/18 12:01 a.m.

If it's still using oil on high rpm highway drives, replace PCV valve.

Shock popping may be soft springs combined with lack of slip washers or whatever they are called. If that is the case.  NA spring perches are flat and so the spring can rotate a little sometimes and make poppy noises doing so.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/18 5:38 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Swing by the Nola autox on your way through tomorrow. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/21/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Didn't notice this until it would have been backtracking a bit. Sorry about that. 

Getting used to the car. It doesn't feel small unless I get next to something like a Versa and I notice how much bigger a modern compact is. 

Patrick
10/21/18 6:28 p.m.

Seth is home safe yes

mazdeuce - Seth
10/21/18 6:46 p.m.

I am. Rolled in just as Mrs. Deuce was getting left over enchiladas out. Sent Patrick a message and sat down to good food. 

I have a list of things that need to be dealt with, but the car just drove 1200 miles without a hiccup. It's a good car. 

Patrick
10/21/18 7:16 p.m.

I’m genuinely missing looking out the kitchen window at it.  I’m not going to complain because now I’m looking at my WRX in the same spot, but I really do miss it.  It was a welcome visitor/distraction at just the right time to keep my mind off missing the challenge this year.  

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
10/22/18 3:36 a.m.

Ah-ha, so this is why I haven't seen progress on your other projects.  wink  Let me know if you need a hand hooning - err, practicing - in it.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/22/18 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

I consider a 1200 mile fly and drive to be great progress on the project of a life well lived. Mrs. Deuce would rather have me make great progress on the kitchen.  With that in mind, here is a short list of things that I already know need attention on the car. 

1. Drivers side window. It only rolls down about an inch before it gets stuck. Until I get the window working I can't even autocross. Not being able to autocross a Miata is unacceptable. 

2. Clean. It's a rallycross car. It's dirty. That's fine and as expected but I need it cleaner so I can evaluate some things. 

3. Suspension clunks/pops. I think they're spring/swaybar/tophat related. 

4. Noise. Before we left Patrick and I put a strip of duct tape over the hardtop seam. 

This worked great and wind noise wasn't an issue after the super head wind calmed down. I'll replicate this with more style in black vinyl. On most surfaces road noise overpowers wind noise. The real issue is with clunks and squeaks. The gauge binnacle is loose or broken. The soft top bangs over moderate bumps. I'm going to address these noises one by one. 

5. Hard top. Seals need to be replaced. Certainly at the rear window where it has shrunk enough to pop out but also the front seal and maybe window seals while I'm in there. Anyone sell a kit with all of them? I also need to deal with the plastidip or whatever it is on the top. Flat black isn't an acceptable roof in Texas. 

6  AC. That needs to work. Again, Texas. 

7. Roll bar/seat/harness. Not worth owning a Miata if I can't track it. If I want to run with the PCA I need two seats and harnesses because they require equal accommodations for driver/instructor. 

Patrick
10/22/18 8:08 a.m.

I <assisted> the window down and it never failed to go back up nice and quick.  My first move would be pull door panel and clean/lube everything because i bet the same amount of dirt that’s in the trunk is in the doors.  It was on the list of things I’d have done for you had I had time.

also cameras make me look fat.  My chin doesn’t help either 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/18 8:54 a.m.

Lubing the window tracks on mine helped significantly. The plastic guide rollers are most likely also missing from yours. They’re cheap & can be replaced while the door panel is off. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/22/18 10:30 a.m.

I am very excited to drive it. 

https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/csu-29101s/overview/?cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-corbeau-seats-usa

I'm thinking these seats for it. The old Black 91 STS car has one for the driver seat and it was very comfortable on long trips and also was supportive for autocross shenanigans. 

Anyone got another fat guy friendly seat that isn't a Kirkey beaten with a hammer? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/22/18 10:30 a.m.

If it doesn't have windows, its lighter and you dont have to worry about how well they work.

Also, you're in texas. Window tint.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/22/18 10:51 a.m.

If the window is stiff/cocked sideways in its travel, see comments on rollers and slide lube etc above.  But if it goes down an inch and then stops fast, and always comes up fine, that is usually because it's catching on its own cables inside the door on the way down only.  They just need to be zip tied to the right thing to keep them out of the way, the factory zip tie falls off eventually.  Pop the door panel off (it's quick) and observe what happens when you try to lower it. 

Alternatively you can lower the window while in a steady state corner in the right direction such that the cables are hanging out of the way  laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/22/18 12:27 p.m.

Thanks for the window info. That will be dealt with shortly. I already spent too much time playing with the car. 

Things were dirty. 

Now they're cleaner. 

Anyone know what springs these are? 

The trunk is big enough to get groceries. Barely. 

And we may have some sealing issues with the hard top. This is right at the drivers left shoulder. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/22/18 12:35 p.m.

I need to get you to north Carolina to detail my duster. And challenge car. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/18 12:50 p.m.

Part number that starts with SUM - sounds like Summit Racing. Looks like it's a generic 2.5" race spring. 9", 2.5", 350 lbs. Part number decoded. Rears are 220. Those are pretty close to FM spring rates.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-92-5350

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/18 12:53 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Things were dirty. 

The trunk is big enough to get groceries. Barely. 

Re:Dirty

We've all seen that AMMONYC video about detailing the 10year in the woods Eclipse, right?

Re:TrunkGroceries

that's what the pax floor board/seat is for

Patrick
10/22/18 12:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Part number that starts with SUM - sounds like Summit Racing. Looks like it's a generic 2.5" race spring. 9", 2.5", 350 lbs. Part number decoded. Rears are 220. Those are pretty close to FM spring rates.

Keith is right, any SUM-xxxxxx is summit racing house branded stuff.  

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/22/18 1:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Good I did remember the rates correctly.

From the for sale ad.

Koni shocks with Koni coilover perches with 9" summit racing springs. I think F350/R220 rates but I would have to double check to confirm.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ef7JAYLfNWQft5dbuwp3xzjZHnP7MiwpViOCVctZ7YKt3td85TFBB30yLCaiuRgG