1 2 3 ... 7
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/17 7:55 a.m.

Hopefully this will be more of an ownership log, though there will definitely be a few projects at the start. 

To follow up from this thread, I picked up an '92 2wd 1/2-ton Suburban last night with 153k on it for $1600. Despite the 22" wheels on it, it's a 2-owner truck that's had pretty good upkeep over the years, including a rebuilt trans, new fuel pump, thermostat, tune up, serpentine belt, etc. 

Here are a couple fresh pics from this morning. 

What the ad pics(linked in the other thread) don't show is how faded the paint on top is.

It's apparently a Silverado-trim truck.

The hood is a bit sprung on the side, but seems to open & close fine.

The engine is pretty clean for 25-years old.

There is some oil on the intake on the driver's side - valve cover gasket, or intake manifold???

I probably won't have time to really tear into it until this weekend, but I'll try to give a better assessment of what it needs by then.  

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/14/17 8:01 a.m.

Flipped air cleaner lid for maximum intake noises! Oil leak looks like valvecover from hundreds of miles away! Good luck..

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
11/14/17 8:12 a.m.

Yep, it's a SBC.  The valve covers will leak.  My wife's Camaro just started a VCL (Valve Cover Leak - it happens so frequently on these it needs it's own initialism).  Plan on getting a decent set of gaskets- not just the plain cork ones.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/14/17 8:54 a.m.

In which Pete finds out that he loves rebuilding small block Chevys.........

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Well I figure it probably shares at least 25% of its parts with the Vette, which really makes a pretty good backup plan for a tow-pig/racecar combo. :-D

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 9:09 a.m.

I could tell last night that the dash was cracked & rattling - as if the carpeted dash cover wasn't a giveaway - but this thing is destroyed. 

Coincidentally, grandpa's 88 Scottsdale that I sold 4(?) years ago because it was rusted out had a perfect dash this same color. 

I think the Beastie Boys would approve:

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/17 9:17 a.m.

Good luck with new purchase.  Valve cover gaskets are common.  So are upper plenum gaskets.  Make sure you check all he brake hard lines, especially the rear ones.  They are prone to rust.  Also check the front brake lines and the crossover line in front, that one can rust too.  It's not throwing any codes, I hope.  Hoods are fairly common for these.  Or clamp some 2x4's top and bottom to straighten it out, might work.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/14/17 9:20 a.m.

I'm pretty sure you can flock right over that.

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 9:25 a.m.

I pulled the RPO codes. I'll have to look them up & see what I have. 

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 9:55 a.m.

Oh, one other thing - I took it for about a 25-minute test-drive on the highway before purchase last night. Due to my bank being closed I went with the seller to a place that would cash my check for him, that took about an hour total. When I left there were no puddles/drips/stains on the driveway where the Suburban had been parked. 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
11/14/17 10:52 a.m.

will be following.  I really want a suburban.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/17 11:10 a.m.

I miss my 92 Suburban. Nothing says I have right away better than a big ass Suburban. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/17 11:13 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I pulled the RPO codes. I'll have to look them up & see what I have. 

350(duh) 3.42 open diff.  

Dash shell removal is a B, otherwise i’d pull one for you.   Have a hood too.  

Too bad you already have 22’s, or I could sell you some.  I’ve actually got a set of the 73-87 15x8 truck rallys with caps if you aren’t into the 22” rough riders

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/17 11:15 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Yep, it's a SBC.  The valve covers will leak.  My wife's Camaro just started a VCL (Valve Cover Leak - it happens so frequently on these it needs it's own initialism).  Plan on getting a decent set of gaskets- not just the plain cork ones.  

This engine has rubber gaskets.  They dry out and shrink in center because of egr crossover passage heat. 

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

How much for the rally wheels? 

In reply to Stampie : 

The Suburban is only 2" longer than our T&C, but it's an inch narrower. Weight is within 50lbs. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/14/17 12:59 p.m.

Do yourself a favor and clean/grease all your fuses and relays. 

Electrical issues with these are not really any better than your Vette.

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Haha, why does that not surprise me?

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
11/14/17 1:23 p.m.

As much as I loved my GMT400's, there's no way I could go back. The 800's are just sooooooo much better. 

But from what I remember on the ones I had, keep a spare ignition module around the garage, it will die. Find yourself a 454 throttle body and injectors and get a prom for it. Valve stem seals sucked, it'll need some. oil pressure switch will eventually leak and is under the distributor so it makes a huge mess. Replace the dist cap and rotor every 30k because they like to corrode. don't cheap out on plug wires and get yhourself some CR43TS plugs. 

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Bobcougarzillameister :

Thanks Bob! I really wanted to find a GMT800 truck, but just wasn't ready to spend ~$3k for one, knowing it would still need another grand or so thrown at it just like this one likely will.

I'll double-check, but I wonder if the ignition module for this is the same as the Vette? I do have a spare one of those, as well as cap & rotor.

barefootskater
barefootskater New Reader
11/14/17 4:11 p.m.

I don't have the words to properly describe my feelings about these trucks. I can't think of anything else as cheap, simple, capable and all around awesome. And able to take a beating and just keep going. All I can say is I approve.

Bobcougarzillameister
11/14/17 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Did you go to a small cap HEI? If so, possibly. I think there were still two types, vette TPI and everything else. In all fairness it has been 20 years since I played with that stuff on a daily basis. 

Bobcougarzillameister
11/14/17 4:33 p.m.

ALSO... I agree with the 800 comment. I've been driving dad's spare 02. While its a fantastic beast for its mileage and the way previous owners abused it, a grand would go a long way to make it much better. (shocks, speakers, ball joints and steering pieces). 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
11/14/17 4:47 p.m.

Looks like a ‘92 rather than ‘02. Congratulations on the purchase. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/14/17 6:22 p.m.

No, they aren't the same. The TBI/TPI modules are like a 7 pin vs the 5 pin in the carb dizzy.

The TBI/TPI modules are used to reference crank position (which is why they have a special procedure to get timing) and also have variable timing iirc. 

Ironically, I just bought more dielectric grease because I'm chasing Gremlins in mine. LOL

On edit: If you still have the TPI dizzy from the Vette, that one "might" cross reference. Look them both up on Rock Auto and see if they're the same. 

Pete Gossett
11/14/17 7:15 p.m.
conesare2seconds said:

Looks like a ‘92 rather than ‘02. Congratulations on the purchase. 

Oops, that's what I get for fat-fingering it and not proof reading...

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BdaBNvf0zHYNnjb9TkCWHTa6jAnXp5M1zNqUK0f5uJZEzhTR7OuoPWfFQ4XJ6UCe