1 2 3
Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
2/12/20 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

The guy I bought it from says Charleston Performance Solutions. Who knows how true that is. This is the one thing I'd like to get receipts for. 

In reply to jfryjfry :

Electrical gremlins seem to be sorted. I really just need to take care of a few small things, get it registered, and start driving it more. I have an e30 as well I need to decide what to do with. The Corvette kind of kicked it out of the garage, but I'm attached to the old German box. They're also getting more and more expensive.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

You could be right. I remember him talking about the issue and want to say it had heads, cam, lifters, pushrods, and trunion bearings done to it. 

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
3/2/20 2:04 p.m.

A little update. I started poking around the front of the car to see why things like the horn, foglights, and side markers didn't work. Turns out they weren't there. As in, the wiring to them had been ripped off in the accident. The person that "fixed" the car simply slapped the bumper back on without really connecting anything. There were loose bolts, missing clips, crash foam not attached, total amateur hour under there. Luckily the frame and metalwork seem to be fine. My guess is that he farmed that out to someone competent.

So a quick trip to the local JY and I alleviated several GM vehicles of their horns, 9006 connectors, and an old pontiac of about 4' of wire harness. Then I fired up the soldering iron and got to making extensions. Now I have a working horn and lights. Which also let me do the TPMS Pairing process and turn off the TPMS light. Unfortunately I'm waiting on a few small brackets to put the front bumper back on. But I did get my ZR1 lip installed. Now nothing taller than two inches will escape me.

Seatbelt pretensioners go out to be fixed tomorrow and that will be the last of the "real" problems.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/2/20 2:49 p.m.

Nice work!  A hell of a car.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/20 11:35 a.m.

Nice work.

If I were you I'd think about getting the sump tank redone by Lingenfelter. It adds 3 quarts to the capacity. A lot of issues with the cars seem to be around oiling and some people have tested oil pressures on track with data logging and the later cars with the higher capacity sump have fewer issues on track.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
3/5/20 11:57 a.m.

there is also a baffle that goes in the tank to help with starvation.   Nice to do at the same time as having the tank enlarged.  I forget what years, but the small tanks are pre 08 or something like that.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
3/13/20 10:37 a.m.

So I've finally put everything back together. Completely stripped the front end and assembled it correctly with the correct hardware. Replaced a few components and got all of the lights working and the horn. I sent out the buckle pretensioners and had them rebuilt. So now the SRS light is off. Zr1 front lip is on. I also put air in the tires.... So the TPMS light is off. Now I can finally take it to have it inspected and get registration. Then I'll inevitably have to fight them as they'll want to tax it as a $35k vehicle instead of half that. Now I can move onto fun, future, stuff. I'm probably not going to do anything with the oiling system as this car will never see the track of autocross. 

- Paint the headlight housings black and put new lenses on. 

- Possibly a mild cam. 

- Clean it up and fix some of the small stuff. 

BasinMotorsports
BasinMotorsports New Reader
3/13/20 12:04 p.m.

I have often thought about getting out of my older cars (I have 2 Foxbody Mustangs) and into something a touch more reliable like a Corvette.  I have racer dreams, but little time to really get out there.  A nice touring car would be fun, even if it's just because it is far more reliable than my current stable.  There was a C5 on Copart that ended up selling for $3k a few months ago and I'd thought about picking it up for a new project.  Perhaps once my current Mustang project is gone I'll keep an eye out for something to rebuild in the future.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
4/13/20 10:25 a.m.

I finally got around to changing the oil this past weekend. Two things I brought away.

There was A LOT of metal on the drain plugs. I pulled some oil and plan on sending it to blackstone. I have no interest in rebuilding an LS7 if it's on it's way out. 

Whomever owned the car before me has taken car of the oil capacity problems. The prescribed 8-8.5 qts of oil barely registered on the dipstick. After about 10-10.5 qts I'm about 3/4 of the way up the hatch area. So I either have a larger oil tank or pan or something. Other than that I've just been driving it. It needs some tweeks on the hood alignment and an interior cleaning, but I'm fairly happy with the way it is.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
4/29/20 2:43 p.m.

Lab results are back. Lots of copper! Not really sure what to do at this point. I think I'll run it for another oil change and see how it looks. Thoughts?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d74LM63VZFr9YNkflSplvIS3a7uUUGVSCCLaFXdHXQhsx4VxBsv9EJqwCaKPBqgh