Alan Cesar Associate Editor
Aug. 15, 2012 10:14 a.m.

It seems like most people in the office have had a white Miata at one point or another. Here's the current active one. It has 260,000 miles or so, with an engine rebuild around 250k.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/fun-firm/

Tim Baxter PowerDork
Aug. 15, 2012 10:23 a.m.

even GRMers outside of the office have had a white miata. I thought it was required

Aug. 15, 2012 10:44 a.m.

My white Miata is still a work in progress. Running, driving, needing only a new rear window and some minor body work.

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Aug. 15, 2012 11:27 a.m.

My white Miata is a '92, so it's totally different.

Greg Voth Dork
Aug. 15, 2012 11:47 a.m.

I guess thats why I dont work there anymore.

Never had a white Miata. There was the black V8 one for the 2010 Challenge but that was after I left.

Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
Aug. 15, 2012 1:34 p.m.

I have never owned a Miata.

Apexcarver UberDork
Aug. 15, 2012 1:38 p.m.

How many miata owners we got on this board anyhow??

Aug. 15, 2012 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Nice.

Tom Suddard Intern
Aug. 15, 2012 2:08 p.m.

I have a Miata!

Aug. 15, 2012 3:23 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I have a Miata!

Only because you liked mine so much.

Greg Voth Dork
Aug. 15, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I should add that I sold the black V8 one right after the challenge because it still wasn't manly enough.

I am not sure how Tommy is going to handle his new yellow Corky Romano Edition Miata.

All kidding aside I like Miatas but just have no real desire to own one.

Oct. 3, 2012 10:38 a.m.

Details on those wheels.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/hot-wheels-track-days/

Winston Reader
Oct. 3, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Those look good! I've been considering getting some of Diamond's wheels for the Spitfire/Miata. You list the backspacing as 5", which would equate to +1" of offset on an 8" wheel, or about 25mm. Stock Miata offset is 40mm-45mm depending on wheel size, correct? So at each corner this pushes the wheel out 15mm-20mm due to the lower offset, and 25mm due to the additional wheel width, for a total of 40-45mm or 1.6-1.8 inches. Does that sound about right? It's hard to tell via the pics.

N Sperlo PowerDork
Oct. 3, 2012 1:05 p.m.

I wouldn't mind a miata, but my 90 lb blonde ex has one and it kind of ruins it for me.

Oct. 3, 2012 1:27 p.m.
Winston wrote: Those look good! I've been considering getting some of Diamond's wheels for the Spitfire/Miata. You list the backspacing as 5", which would equate to +1" of offset on an 8" wheel, or about 25mm. Stock Miata offset is 40mm-45mm depending on wheel size, correct? So at each corner this pushes the wheel out 15mm-20mm due to the lower offset, and 25mm due to the additional wheel width, for a total of 40-45mm or 1.6-1.8 inches. Does that sound about right? It's hard to tell via the pics.

Without looking it all up, it sounds like you're on the right track. These tires are at least an inch shorter in overall diameter than stock. With appropriately tall tires (on 15-inch wheels), this car could be herrafrush, y0. Here's a visual for you:

Winston Reader
Oct. 3, 2012 2:00 p.m.

Excellent. Thanks for that pic, that's what I wanted to see.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
Oct. 8, 2012 10:18 p.m.

You can buy 15x8s that weigh less and only cost $19 more each and can fit the NB Sport brakes if you ever wanted to.

I guess the lighter tire makes up for it, but still don't really see the point.

Oct. 31, 2012 10:24 a.m.

But I don't want to fit NB Sport brakes. These little brakes are good enough for Spec Miatas, then they're good enough for me. These wheels look damn good anyway.

The cooling system doesn't look damn good, though. Here's a long-awaited update wherein I replaced a bunch of hoses and junk. After about a quarter-million miles, a Miata's hoses start to let go.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/spurt-spurt-spurt/

belteshazzar UltraDork
Nov. 5, 2012 11:17 a.m.

an engine rebuild at 250k, but the hoses were original?!

Nov. 5, 2012 12:12 p.m.

When the rebuild happens on a garage floor 2 days before the car has to be put back together to drive to Florida to start a new job, the parts that aren't immediately failing and aren't available locally get filed under, "good enough for now." There were lots of surprise actually-broken things that needed immediate replacing, and I spent a lot of time and money getting those. Hoses were low on the list of things needing attention.

Relevant post:
http://www.sentimentalmechanic.com/2011/07/engine-rebuild-and-swap.html

Dec. 19, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Seems like the lifespan of a Miata radiator is about 90,000 miles.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1991-mazda-mx-5-miata/more-cooling-system-woes/

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Dec. 19, 2012 12:29 p.m.

...or 22 years.

Dec. 19, 2012 12:59 p.m.

Three and a half, actually. This blown-up one is the second radiator I've put in this car. The first one was at my second autocross, just a few months after I bought the car.

DaveEstey SuperDork
Dec. 19, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Mine made it 130k miles, but only 16 years.

Happened right before a sharp corner and a narrow bridge crossing at the Ascutney Hillclimb. Completely washed my windshield and gave me a serious pucker moment.

Changed it with a new (old bent up pre-crashed Spec Miata) radiator at the top of the mountain and kept racing for the rest of the weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

2 days ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

Shark Bite: Back in 1997, Hyundai Was Into Rally

2 days ago in Articles

A Hyundai Tiburon as a rally car?

You Need This: Mazda RX-7 Turbo II Roller

2 days ago in News

What would you do with an empty RX-7 tub?

From the GRM Vault: Our First Drive of the Original BMW M3

2 days ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Great Moments in $2000 Challenge History: Minor Gasser

2 days ago in Articles

Here's what happens when you put a Chevy 350 in a Morris Minor.

What’s the Soonest That You Have Raced Your New Purchase?

3 days ago in News

This BMW M3 was wearing numbers 24 hours after getting registered.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

3 days ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

4 days ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

4 days ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

4 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

5 days ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
egJy5hnKLZfg0arZTJv8YjBH9c61fVH8