1 ... 4 5 6
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/9/16 3:53 p.m.

Sourced the Calipers and hangers I needed to work with the disc brake conversion I received for Christmas. To those of you whom drive 3/4 ton / 1 ton trucks, you have my sympathies on cost of parts.

I paid the salvage yard $25 per side for these. basically the guys core charge. New economy is over $100 per side. I recall my S10 was $15 for brand new calipers.

But these brakes I'll feel comfortable stopping with vs the 80 years design Huck Brakes. (non self adjusting)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/9/16 3:57 p.m.

For reference, the old front brake. same wheel

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/16/16 2:28 p.m.

Not much today, old carb is with a friend that can weld cast iron. Spent some time reattaching fuel lines, oil filter connections and some of the ignition parts (thanks to Patgizz for some new tuneup parts). Probably won't be in the garage next week with single digit temperatures expected.

Need to get the kick and floorboards put back in soon as well.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/21/16 11:13 a.m.

Carb is back and in the truck. Gotta love having friends that can weld the impossible.

Carb base on this is cast iron and fell off the truck when I was pulling the original engine.

http://i.imgur.com/EnzXO6q.jpg

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/16 2:08 p.m.

WOW! Nice break!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/30/16 4:47 p.m.

New plug wires made up from universal kit. Cut and terminated to length. New battery purchased and set in truck. Might be able to try cranking it soon, just need to sort out a few wires in the loom.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/28/16 7:29 a.m.

Hooked the battery up last night, climbed in the cab.

Turned the key....

Stomped the starter...

and....

whrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Crap..starter not engaging the flywheel.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
2/28/16 11:37 a.m.

Push start it!

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
2/28/16 12:59 p.m.

Isn't the stompy bit supposed to mechanically engage the starter gear with the flywheel when you stomp it?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/28/16 5:04 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Isn't the stompy bit supposed to mechanically engage the starter gear with the flywheel when you stomp it?

Not on this one. It just makes an electrical contact.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/28/16 5:15 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: Isn't the stompy bit supposed to mechanically engage the starter gear with the flywheel when you stomp it?
Not on this one. It just makes an electrical contact.

Ahhh, progress!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/13/16 4:39 p.m.

Thank to the warmer weather, working in the garage has been more tolerable.

• Front clip is back where it belongs
  • New rear wheel cylinders ordered and installed
  • Yanked the old master cylinder today and this weeks task is to find a new unit that will work with the new front disks and OE rear drums
  • Radiator is out of the shed and sitting in the truck again as well
  • Made the mistake today of starting to clean/polish the old chrome. So much for patina there.

Oh...it rolled in the the driveway yesterday with little effect. Finally was able to sweep out the grudge.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/13/16 4:45 p.m.

I really need to pound those dents out.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/8/16 2:19 p.m.

While I save up money to have the original seat reupholstered, I sourced a rear seat from a Mazda tribute. Not quite the look I want, but will do the job for $20. Tomorrow I'll try to work on brackets and mounts.

Why this seat? Cool trick feature shown here:

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/8/16 4:12 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I really need to pound those dents out.

Please resist the urge to pound the dents out. If you do, you are going to stretch the metal and make things harder.

If you can figure out how to push the dents out with a press and blocks of wood, you will have a better result. Do a Google search for "First in, last out, dent repair"

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/1/16 4:07 p.m.

New battery cables make a world of difference and we have starter action. But, starter doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel. I'm really not looking forward to dropping the driveshafts again if the flywheel isn't compatible for some reason.

But, it's original to the engine & starter, just not the bellhousing that it's mounted to.

Also let the smoke out of the momentary push button leads and need to source something heavier there as well.

using a screwdriver to start the beast every time doesn't sound super appealing.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
5/1/16 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

Did this have the floor mounted foot starter button? If so I may have one Laying around.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/1/16 4:37 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: In reply to Grtechguy: Did this have the floor mounted foot starter button? If so I may have one Laying around.

I had mechanical stomp starter, but that wasn't engaging either. So I went down a path of using the solenoid based started that came with my donor engine. The button I was using was a cheap ebay option. If you have a period correct (or close) actual stomp button, I might be interested.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/9/16 10:35 a.m.

.....and I'm an idiot. It was cranking. I just didn't notice as I was watching the fan blades.

the fan blades that don't have a belt attached to them.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
5/9/16 10:44 a.m.

Well that is good news. Always funny how much time can be wasted thinking you have a problem.

Stephenrc
Stephenrc
1/6/19 8:27 p.m.

I am new to this website and page I have a 46 gmc ec152 I just bought the drum to disc conversion kit and was wandering if you had found a master cylinder and booster kit that worked? Thank you for your time.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/20/19 5:11 p.m.

Stephen,   I have a 7" dual setup.   As much as I want to mount it under the floorboards as the OEM,  I think it will be mounted to the firewall.

Sadly, I haven't had much time to work on this old beast as my kids take my free time lately with robotics and soccer practices.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/21/19 10:27 a.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
1/21/19 12:02 p.m.

For people not from Michigan taking advantage of this unseasonably warm weather means that it is hoovering right around freezing give or take a few degrees.  

This is the fourth Michigander to say this.

As of yesterday reality has struck and progress will slow for those of us without heated work spaces.  -7 degrees this morning.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MKxDUC7K1RKqCHCCvZAP9RiWPwxg3BFOPKyfuUmfVnDzfsZgwMkZAsqesvzGCp3t