1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 7:39 a.m.
914Driver said:

That's a nice car!

Thank you. 

Those pics are a few years old. It’s not in that condition anymore. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

I really like that Viper engine!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 7:42 a.m.
NOHOME said:

When you get to the subject of the bodywork, can we talk about moving the rear axle back so the car does not look so close-coupled?

Absolutely. 

When we we get to the subject of the bodywork, I am open to all suggestions. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/7/18 8:53 a.m.

With a 6L truck LS motor you could get 4 of the Ebay Weber ICT carbs and some chunks of aluminum and build your own multi carb setup. All the look the ITBs are trying to get,  but old school appropriate for the truck.   Add an MSD box for spark and an electric fuel pump and trade efi wiring issues for linkage and carb syncing issues. 

Or just get the dual quad manifold and a pair of Edelbrocks...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/18 9:47 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Good.... cause that opens up the option of putting an engine in the bed!

Audi V8 in the back of a Renault 5

Pete

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
12/7/18 10:22 a.m.

Not clear to me how a BB454 with a mild to spicy cam is not the obvious answer, given your constraints?

damen

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/7/18 10:32 a.m.
badwaytolive said:

Not clear to me how a BB454 with a mild to spicy cam is not the obvious answer, given your constraints?

damen

I'm not sure if he saw it or not, but I posted a nice cheap 454 build that made what he wanted, and then with a pair of budget turbos would make 700ish at 9psi of boost.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/7/18 10:38 a.m.

Please don't cut up the body too much. I'm no purist, but I am an El Camino lover, especially this generation. They're already unique enough.

454 or 427 crate would be easy and fun. Big blocks just work for this type of car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 11:10 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Don’t worry. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 11:29 a.m.
NickD said:
badwaytolive said:

damen

I'm not sure if he saw it or not, but I posted a nice cheap 454 build that made what he wanted, and then with a pair of budget turbos would make 700ish at 9psi of boost.

I did see it. Thank you. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/7/18 12:05 p.m.
SVreX said:
NickD said:
badwaytolive said:

damen

I did see it. Thank you. 

Okay, cool. I saw it was the last post on the bottom of the page, which I know sometimes gets overlooked.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
12/7/18 12:19 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yep, I saw it. I was just seconding your motion.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/18 12:43 p.m.
SVreX said:

- My son is pushing me to do something weirder. Like a 2JZ single turbo with a GSR trans.. He may just want to piss off all the traditional hot rodders.  I love quirky, but not sure this will hit my reliability needs. 

2JZ would be cool. 

1.5JZ I've heard is even a little more affordable potentially, especially if you go with an automatic, but that's not as fun.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/7/18 2:57 p.m.

A N D IF you Want You Can Put a 454 Crank In A W Block Pretty Darn Easy.................REALLY!

Do It And I'll Give you a Crank.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/7/18 3:21 p.m.

Nice cruck Paul!  My wife isn't a fan and coined that term for El Camino/Ranchero's a long time ago.  I like them however!

EZ button is Pat's 454 with AL heads, cam, and new induction/injection.

I recently picked up my first LS/LT engine in a 2017 Yukon (6.2L).  I'm impressed how it moves this big beast (~6k lbs) so I would imagine in something lighter it would be great. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/7/18 3:53 p.m.
SVreX said:

Is originally a 6 cylinder, but now has a 327.  Great little engine that loves to rev. Unfortunately, it lacks the torque needed to motivate 4000 lbs of iron. 

Why are we three pages in and still discussing target HP levels?  What's your target torque and how low do you want it?  

That's my way of saying you need a Cadillac 472/500. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
12/7/18 3:58 p.m.
Stampie said:
SVreX said:

Is originally a 6 cylinder, but now has a 327.  Great little engine that loves to rev. Unfortunately, it lacks the torque needed to motivate 4000 lbs of iron. 

Why are we three pages in and still discussing target HP levels?  What's your target torque and how low do you want it?  

That's my way of saying you need a Cadillac 472/500. 

Pretty sure it's settled on 454, judging by the classified posts. But, yeah, I'm ashamed to have not thought of Cad 500. Just don't want more than 3500rpm. Buick 455 is also bulldozer torque levels.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 4:31 p.m.

Decision has been made. She’s getting a big block. Pat and I are working out the details. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/7/18 4:51 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I’ve owned diesel trucks for 20 years. I’ve had a hot rod for 25.

There is absolutely nothing about a Diesel engine that is suitable for a hot rod in my opinion. 

No thanks. 

Curious ....what does the term hot rod bring forth(images etc.) in your world?

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/7/18 5:04 p.m.
SVreX said:

Decision has been made. She’s getting a big block. Pat and I are working out the details. 

Woo Hoo!

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
12/7/18 5:36 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Bummer, I was rooting for the v10

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/7/18 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

Doesn’t mean I can’t do that sometime in the future!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/7/18 6:01 p.m.

I’m all in with the guys saying modern TB EFI system on the engine of your choice (383 or 454).  After lots of research I’ve decided any engine swap project I try (miata, 944, whatever), I’d power this way. It’s easy, efficient and reliable.

I’ll let you in on an early secret too.  My 2019 CAM challenge Mustang will lose the factory EFI after the challenge and go Holley sniper.  Then I’m going to throw a Cobra IRS system, strong trans and 363 cubes of SBF at it....  then I’m going to see how many faster more expensive cars I can leave wondering what happened.....

Go Holley or FAST and bigger engine.  Easy power goals no wiring or fitting nightmares, reliable, better mileage....  and it’s affordable these days.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/18 12:19 p.m.

Looks like Patrick's 454 comes with a nice carb, intake, and ignition setup. I'd just run that. I've never thought my El Camino was any less reliable than it needs to be with a carb'd 350 and HEI. 12 years and 50k miles on an Edelbrock carb, intake and Summit brand HEI, which finally needed a new cap/rotor/coil this year, but otherwise starts up every time. I maybe tune the carb once a year or if I'm bored, whichever comes first.

If my 350 wasn't so solid, I'd be awfully interested in that big-block deal for my own '72.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
12/8/18 2:24 p.m.

If you want reliable, I’d steer away from turboing it - especially if it is not an oem turbo setup. 

I completely understand the idea that it is  a well-beaten path leading to an ls or 454 swap. So you might not be unique  

But you have your reliability and power goals met in a quicker- and likely easier-to-build package. 

To stand out a bit, make some awesome bundle of snakes 180 headers for it!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gGBzHWnvYW5nXCvwAP5aSFq5iLHV1p0kWY78RVz9mrdh9IlDRSXqzW1UY4QsutO8