Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/20/18 4:10 p.m.

If you need someone to go get the big block, give me a call 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I left you a voice mail. 

BTW, I got a giggle out of your message. “Leave a message and I MAY call you back”. You sure know how to inspire confidence!!  Haha!

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
12/20/18 7:01 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

So what's the plan for the fab shop? you asked for ideas, now the curious want to know what you decided. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/20/18 7:32 p.m.

So, when the great white North thaws out, ive volunteered to be the delivery guy for the big block. 

As i told paul, "its time to take a long walk".

But 5/7 dropped Silverado don't do snow/ice. Well, COULD, but won't. 

Im all about a big block el Camino. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 7:48 p.m.
Fladiver64 said:

In reply to SVreX :

So what's the plan for the fab shop? you asked for ideas, now the curious want to know what you decided. 

Decisions aren’t made. Still open to ideas. 

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
12/20/18 7:50 p.m.

Yeah, big blocks and El Caminos are a great combination!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 8:37 p.m.
Fladiver64 said:

In reply to SVreX :

Believe it or not, I'm stuck between these two:

I know they are both almost complete opposites, but they both turn me on.  I love the Impala trim, but also like the de-chromed look.  I will be discussing with the fab shop the practical pros and cons of each, considering the condition of the car as it sits.

The car will be bagged, so the ride height is not an important decision right now.

I will play with the rear axle location and wheel arch, but I am very hesitant to do any cutting that can't be reversed.  

The bed is almost completely gone, it will be full custom.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/20/18 8:57 p.m.

Bottom one with chrome bumper, 17-18 inch body color steelies and poverty caps on bags would be awesome. But leave chrome door handles, black out the bodywork above the base of the windshield, and tint.more of a metallic od green color.

Comfortable bench seat, good stereo, ridiculously oversized hvac, massive sound deadening and insulation, cruise, tilt, power steering and brakes. 

Drive it. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/18 9:07 p.m.

That’s close. 

Those wheels are definitely too big, and I think it was a mistake to remove the jets from the side. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/21/18 6:05 p.m.

Is the leaf spring the same length fore and aft of the axle? Many are longer to the rear. Maybe just swap front/rear on the springs to relocate the axle rearward. It would look better.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/21/18 6:52 p.m.

But But BUT what about The Truck Arms and Coil Overs

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/21/18 9:15 p.m.

Shows what I know about Chevy. Are these coil cars originally?

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
12/21/18 9:22 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yeah, they have a 3 link rear stock. Panhard rod is a bit short and they can tear the upper arm out with lots of hp and sticky tires. Considering changing to truck arms on mine at some point.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/18 8:27 a.m.

Top one without a doubt. It's just my opinion but I can't stand the de-chromed and big-rimmed look on such a unique model like the 1st gen Elky. They already stand out, no help needed. And that paint color...yessssss.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
12/22/18 10:12 a.m.

Top one, paint the bumpers and lose the rocker trim. Move the rear tire back, leave the sheet metal alone. Wheels and tires are a very personal descision, but I agree in the bottom picture they are too big.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
12/22/18 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

Pretty much what I'd choose too. I'd also loose the El Camino badge off the fender and tuck the tailpipes up better. 15" original style American mags or maybe Cragars.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
12/22/18 1:11 p.m.

Looking at things a little closer, and without seeing the car in detail, not sure how to pull this off. Remove the door handles and incorporate them in the trim just above, kind of like a kindig design flat door handle. There looks like there are four pieces of trim or side markers on the front fender above and below the chrome divider trim. Removing those and leaving the chrome piece would really leave a clean side view with enough detail to accent the body lines.

It is always fun to spend other people's time and money. There are a lot of good ideas on this thread, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
12/22/18 1:40 p.m.

Top one- bottom one looks like a boiled sweet (might be hard candy in American) that has been sucked for a while then spat out. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/22/18 4:43 p.m.

I'm more of a fan of the top stock-ish picture.  The pro street styling of the lower one pretty much went out of fashion in the early 1990s.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/22/18 4:49 p.m.

I prefer the lower one but with smaller wheels. I'm not a huge chrome guy but that with some 15 inch aluminum wheels in a big and little tire set up would be it for me

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/22/18 5:15 p.m.

Top one by a mile. I love stock cars that are not.

Pete

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/22/18 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 :

Those 4 trim pieces on the front fender don’t actually belong. They are from an Impala.  And it’s not a chrome piece between them. It’s a hard fold in the body line. 

The jet on the side is also borrowed from an Impala. The Elky one does not extend onto the door (but I like the way the Impala one extends onto the door)

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/22/18 5:38 p.m.

So, Did You Say Black With Red SS like bucket's/ Consol Interior ?  Sorta Stock ish.

Or What ?.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/22/18 7:02 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

We’ll work on the interior later....

...(but I like it) wink

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/23/18 12:16 p.m.

If You Want to go C4 in the Rear, Umm I got A Couple,  

Looking For A 31 spline 9"/Posi or locker rear, 70's PU truck w/ BB had them