Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/14/13 9:29 p.m.

I picked up a used hoist from a body shop that was moving. The only issue was it's 3 phase 230v and I only have single phase 230v in my shop. Changing the motors was an option but not a very cheap or practical one so I ended up building a rotary phase convertor. Works like a charm and cost me $145 due to some GRM style scrounging.

The toggle switch on the left starts a 1/4hp single phase motor that in turn spins a 15hp 3ph 230v motor up to speed. Once the 15hp motor is close to running speed you throw the next switch which is a 200a single phase disconnect from my old pool heater. This gets the 15hp 3ph motor running in single phase. The spinning motor induces a voltage into the 3rd phase. The next box is just a splitter that contains the wiring terminal blocks.The last switch is a 3ph disconnect fused at 30a that feeds the hoist.

Pretty straight forward and as a bonus I can look at picking up used instrustrial tools that require 3 phase power. They go cheap because people can't run them on household power.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/14/13 10:23 p.m.

<== jealous.

Congrads. Clever, saves money, and you have a kick butt looking shop

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/13 6:14 a.m.
Wayslow wrote:

GRM bonus points for putting capless Miata Daisies on a Europa.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/13 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

+1 And you notice how huge the 14" wheels look on there???

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/15/13 5:47 p.m.

Needs more frankenstein switches

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/13 6:12 p.m.

Doesn't everything?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPqiyBD1MIdTfvteFTuX8GXKuMSwsxUl2h3WKPBzHqgAOq7m0XEPE155P04hD4BK