1 2 3 4 5
GTXVette
GTXVette New Reader
7/23/15 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

Mines an 84, If it didn't go out in the Scrap pile you can have this one,I will look tomorrow I am just between Canton And Jasper along 575. so you are Close

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/24/15 6:35 p.m.

The Dexcool system residue - can be flushed out with water/vinegar mix. Give it 2-3 flushes until it's clear

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/1/15 3:44 p.m.

I've been rounding up missing or damaged parts..I'm down to the ecm bracket, new windshield and driver's side front top wheel well liner.

Here's the take so far with prices...some of this I will have to figure out if it's ignored in the challenge budget:

1) 1992 Corvette - $1600

2) Hood cables - $20

3) Airbag with cover - $45

4) Cruise control servo - $27

5) Battery - $81

6) Window and Door trim $10

7) Hood rubber seals $2

Estimate I will need the following to complete the makeover:

1) windshield

2) ecm bracket

3) wheel well liner

4) tires

5) Optispark

6) water pump

7) paint

8) leather and carpet dye

Current projection has total cost under $2700 with a bit over $700 exempt from Challenge budget...tires and windshield for example. It won't be the nicest but I'm aiming for the cheapest nicest example.

Edit: windshield is not exempt, but the 700 included new retail tires, optispark which work but is throwing some codes, and a water pump which is also working fine but if the opti needs to be changed its recommended as well.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/1/15 8:32 p.m.

One I love your c4. I've always loved Vettes since the high school drug dealer bought his 82 all black one.

I got excited when I saw you say that the windshield was budget exempt as I need to replace mine. I looked but I can't find that anywhere.

Stampie

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/1/15 9:29 p.m.
Stampie wrote: One I love your c4. I've always loved Vettes since the high school drug dealer bought his 82 all black one. I got excited when I saw you say that the windshield was budget exempt as I need to replace mine. I looked but I can't find that anywhere. Stampie

Since this will be street driven and I'm not shedding weight going to polycarbonate but sticking with glass, there is no performance gain and its a matter of safety. That doesn't mean I'm paying for a pro install job with brand new glass, I'm going used and doing it myself.

Edit- I misunderstood the exemption clause.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/1/15 10:59 p.m.

OK cool. I like common sense. In my case I was so excited to find a cheap Challenge car that I didn't even notice the windshield until after I had handed over the cash.

Looking forward to reading more of your build and seeing you there.

Stampie

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/2/15 7:58 a.m.

Why would the windshield be exempt from the Challenge budget?

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/2/15 8:37 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Why would the windshield be exempt from the Challenge budget?

You're right, I'm wrong, windshield not exempt, guess I'll have to get creative...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/2/15 12:50 p.m.

I had a similar issue on the MINI Cooper S I took 2 years ago. I installed a Lexan windshield for the Challenge (in budget), then removed it and installed a proper glass one after the event.

Regarding the rest of your list- I don't really see anything there that would be exempt from the budget, but I also don't see much that is necessary to enter it in the Challenge:

• Hood cables - Unnecessary

• Airbag with cover - Unnecessary

• Cruise control servo - Unnecessary

• Battery - Only a little necessary- could jump start, etc.

• Window and Door trim - Unnecessary

• Hood rubber seals- Unnecessary

• Windshield- Lexan is cheaper

• Ecm bracket- Zip ties should work

• Wheel well liner- Unnecessary

• Tires- Not in budget

• Optispark- Consider options

• Water pump- Necessary

• Paint- Unnecessary

• Leather and carpet dye- Unnecessary

You could buy the parts you want, and install them after the Challenge.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/2/15 3:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I had a similar issue on the MINI Cooper S I took 2 years ago. I installed a Lexan windshield for the Challenge (in budget), then removed it and installed a proper glass one after the event. Regarding the rest of your list- I don't really see anything there that would be exempt from the budget, but I also don't see much that is necessary to enter it in the Challenge: - Hood cables - Unnecessary - Airbag with cover - Unnecessary - Cruise control servo - Unnecessary - Battery - Only a little necessary- could jump start, etc. - Window and Door trim - Unnecessary - Hood rubber seals- Unnecessary - Windshield- Lexan is cheaper - Ecm bracket- Zip ties should work - Wheel well liner- Unnecessary - Tires- Not in budget - Optispark- Consider options - Water pump- Necessary - Paint- Unnecessary - Leather and carpet dye- Unnecessary You could buy the parts you want, and install them after the Challenge.

You're right on...I'm going to keep this build 100% transparent...and since my goal with the car is twofold...able to get me to work for fun and as a challenge car I'm going to have to figure out parts and pricing so I can remove the bits that would put me over in the challenge.

I'm also putting it all back together so I can figure out everything that really needs fixing... and have it streetable.

As for the budget... the tires, opti or equivalent, and water pump were built in with new retail parts...I should have elaborated that the car runs fine and water pump is good but it has some opti codes...though given the electrical I'm not convinced they're actually valid, another reason for the cruise control servo...I'm trying to sort the gremlins first.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/2/15 6:18 p.m.

I'm watching closely, these are getting to be a good option for cheap speed for autocross and track days.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/6/15 9:24 p.m.

Small update, hood latch cable installed, airbag in. Unfortunately, the wire is missing so I guess it's for looks right now but that's ok:

Before:

After:

I also checked codes and they're clear but that's because the battery was unhooked, oh well.

I also found the wiper fuse was blown (need to dig through my fuse bucket for a 25) and the airbag fuse is out - guess I won't be putting that back in.

I found out a few more things, the under hood lights were disconnected but turned on when they were connected. In fact, EVERY light in the car works, power door locks work, rear hatch, power driver seat, every button on the dash works. the non working electrical list looks like:

1) Blower Motor (Fuse?)

2) Power Windows (I hear the driver's try but nothing happens, passenger is silent but the switch is spliced in and might be junk)

3) Power Antenna

This is getting better by the minute...

Raze
Raze UltraDork
8/10/15 9:53 p.m.

Had a couple of hours to kill - so continues the teardown, I have decided I'm cursed, seriously, I believe my lot in life is to repair E36 M3 show electrical jobs of former goobers:

Removed the 'wire' running from the radiator fan to the wiper circuit which had a blown fuse, replaced 25 amp fuse, wipers inop, could be a relay, or wiring, or the motor.

Took the passenger door and driver's doors apart since the switches were just 'hanging out'. Found out the passenger door is original - has the LT1 with stripes on the glass, the driver's side door is an earlier year door, also has cutout for a speaker when the car has a Bose system with the frame rail mounted units.

The passenger door had some strange stuff in it, looks like some relays and what's this? Speaker wire used as power wires:

But wait there's more, clipped and improperly terminated wires!

Also have a couple of wires just hanging out, as if the were 'ripped' from somewhere under the dash and pulled back into the door:

I pulled lots of interior panels out and I'll be pulling all the carpet and dash next so I can access all the electrical.

The GOOD news, I fired it up and ran the car for 10 minutes and then tried to pull codes, all clear, the only lights that stayed lit were the Inf Res which I'll have to pull the bulb since the airbag is not hooked up, nor will it be, and the Change Oil light - guess I owe the car fluid change, probably do a full tune up soon:

Video of the codes

Raze
Raze UltraDork
9/29/15 8:53 p.m.

Opened my November issue of GRM to this

Raze
Raze UltraDork
9/29/15 8:55 p.m.

Finally got most of the interior out

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
9/29/15 9:03 p.m.

Looking good!

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/12/15 10:13 p.m.

Time for an update...

Next up...body dismantle, bodywork and paint, electrical, transgo shift kit...more to come

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
12/13/15 1:06 p.m.

Great project !

I caught Corvette Fever earlier this year. For a "get to work" ride, how can you beat it? For a Challenge Car even better. Drive it there, drive it back home.

Been through a TON of cars, don't know why I didn't cave in sooner.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/15 10:19 a.m.

I sometimes wonder what people think with electrical. I mean, you can't even put some tape on the end of those things? Just try a little bit.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/14/15 6:25 p.m.
Harvey wrote: I sometimes wonder what people think with electrical. I mean, you can't even put some tape on the end of those things? Just try a little bit.

Like I said I'm cursed...the Merkur was rerouted, reused so the schematics were worthless...the Fiat was a melted down mess with bad grounds everywhere...and this...well...if I could get the Windows and radiator fan working I'd call that victory

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
12/15/15 12:37 p.m.

They had to cut the wires, couldn't just unplug the connector?

Nice work so far! Thanks for sharing.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/15/15 7:39 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: They had to cut the wires, couldn't just unplug the connector? Nice work so far! Thanks for sharing.

Already did...it's the clipped upstream wires that I can't access until the doors come off...which is soon, none of it's hard to fix

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/21/16 6:19 p.m.

The exovette begins:

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
2/21/16 7:01 p.m.
Raze wrote: The exovette begins:

You mean like Vette Kart . . . ala "Roadkill"? That's the best car they've done. I love the direction this build is taking !

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf Reader
2/21/16 7:22 p.m.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KzAMkPKxxhuTuJ86KLHc8FZfK9SnYEjhxumJ0NRYRZFInBCPo1VqPVDI1xWcRTgA