1 ... 3 4 5
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/19/17 9:11 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: patgizz Sorry bout the bullet. While you're doing open heart check these cats out https://threepedals.com/ They created an entire business by putting t56's in 94-96 impalas. They also have a DIY kit for those so inclined. following along here boss

My knees enjoy automatics in cruiser cars. My buddy has a t56 swapped 95 9c1. I have the wrx and the poor mans 454ss to row gears in. Belair is coming out when they're done repaving the road, until then i'm stuck. There is a build thread on the Belair somewhere but not sure if any of the pics work. I have everything to do a full rust repair resto on it but really don't want to. It's my first car and i think I couldn't care less if it looks like a 15 year old did the bodywork, it is perfect the way it is.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/19/17 10:53 a.m.

Get with Cuz'n E about recreating patina should you decide to pull the trigger on the B'aire......sorry bout your knees

patgizz
5/19/17 8:59 p.m.

My steering wheel adapter came so i can ditch the non functioning airbag wheel. Hello new old stock Izumi wood rimmed 3 spoke wheel! I don't care if it's worth a small fortune, i'm bolting that sucker on...

Hopefully the next update is me posting a picture of the LS1 i'm going to pick up tomorrow. Not sure what aluminum block is going to do to ride height but it was perfect before. Kinda don't want to put the black wheels back on either but i'm low on car funds right now and need to sell some more stuff to build that back up.

patgizz
5/20/17 9:46 p.m.

There is an LS1 in the garage. With a comp cams camshaft/lifters/pushrods/valve springs/timing set. I've got to pull the balancer and put on the truck one to work with the accessories in the impala so i'll pop the timing cover off and see which part number the cam is. There are claims of port work on the heads, will pull intake off to check that since it's easier to put the engine in with the intake off. block is 1998 and heads are 99-00 so it's conceivable someone swapped on some ported heads. Got everything except power steering pump.

Going to drop in a higher stall torque converter since the engine is coming out.

photo B54D28F5-48B1-4004-8D97-CA8B4EFDD5CF_zpsvadkyrlz.jpg

patgizz
5/22/17 8:32 p.m.

This happened after work

photo 79B28FFB-FF12-4E9A-996D-B8C3AF7970EC_zpsyb6qilw2.jpg

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/22/17 8:53 p.m.

Patgizz there's a cruise in listed in shoptalk in avon lake oh on june10th sponsored by DEI.....possible that the 'pala will be roadworthy for that?

patgizz
5/22/17 9:38 p.m.

I'm planning to have it back running by this weekend.

patgizz
5/23/17 8:52 p.m.

Found the problem with the 5.3

photo 5AC9137D-07FD-4507-AB82-6730D2BC9C6A_zpsracilghp.jpg

Oh look aluminum block

photo 4829BC22-A27E-4E52-B01C-2B2C2E2F37E8_zpsthpvv6rz.jpg

Hi guys I'm covered up to sleep

photo B694256D-158F-4059-BCFB-E114937EB77E_zpsgdjtm0pz.jpg

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/23/17 9:16 p.m.

I've forgoten how cold it can get there in NE OH ....left when the snowuricane in 1977came swooping down from Canada....101mph winds, lowest barometric press (28 something)I've ever seen living here on the gulf coast and 8-12' drifts....don't miss it at all.

patgizz
5/23/17 10:15 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: I've forgoten how cold it can get there in NE OH ....left when the snowuricane in 1977came swooping down from Canada....101mph winds, lowest barometric press (28 something)I've ever seen living here on the gulf coast and 8-12' drifts....don't miss it at all.

A couple winters ago we had a string of several days at -15. My garage isn't heated. Apparently I wasn't careful enough with my mixing. I'm going 60/40 this time and mixing before i dump it in instead of dumping some coolant in, some water, etc.

The sad part of all this is wayyyy back when i paid $1200 for the 5.3. It was 4 years old with 43k miles. Saturday I paid $1100 for the ls1.

I pulled the front cover and found the cam part number is on the back of the cam . However it was good that I did because the cam gear bolts were not installed with loctite. So i did that and put it together. Pulling the balancer with the correct tool was downright simple.

I'm going to strip the 5.3 the rest of the way and keep everything except the block, and when I sell a few things Summit Racing has brand new blocks on sale for $299. I'll be able to build a pretty mean engine with the stuff I have laying around. Kinda want to LS the Belair when everything else is out of project status, so if I have an engine on the stand and build a harness I could swap it in a weekend. I'm literally in an LS swap the everything state of mind.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/24/17 7:22 a.m.

PatG, INYO when I become flush with $$$$ again, which bullet should I pursue for my '91 extcab 1/2t 5spd.....rebuild the LO5 or go the LS route....LS has me squeamish with the necessary electrical pulse delivery system.....

patgizz
5/27/17 8:58 p.m.

Its not terribly hard.

Today:

Intake on

LH coils/plugs/header in

Trans crossmember back in

Upper rad hose purchased

Shift cable hooked back up

Working on LH side, then RH side, then will do the underneath bits(o2 sensors, exhaust clamps, driveshaft, trans plugs, starter). Once all those bits are done i can wrap up the front end and accessory drive. I had to order a new throttle cable today because i swiped it for something else a couple years ago. I had a lokar universal cable and didn't care for it anyway, ordered a new gm cable for an ls1 camaro. Same with the obd2 port, i snipped it off and borrowed it. It's interesting to see the choices i had to make putting a swap together years ago before there were aftermarket oil pans and headers to fit any chassis. I had to go camaro pan and headers and notch/box the front crossmember. It still works.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/28/17 2:48 p.m.

Will I end up piggy backing my OBD1 with some sort of OBD2 to get the LS to respond?

patgizz
5/28/17 3:23 p.m.

that's how i did this one. the factory pcm controls pretty much just the gauge cluster and the ls pcm controls the engine/trans. i have the impala sensors on the engine to feed the stock one, and the speed sensor output goes to both. it works well together. i could have done it just with the LS computer by melding the two engine harnesses but at the time i did this car i didn't know what i was doing, so i bought a stand alone speartech harness for the engine/trans. if i were to do it again, and i have, i would modify a factory harness to do what is needed like i did in the datsun.

didnt do anything today, had to go pick up a load of $free challenge fabrication material(aka scrap), then Knurled called from the rest stop a few miles away having issues with his rx7, so he gimped it over here and pretty much ruled it as msd box failure by testing a bunch of stuff, and then dropped the trailer and gimped it to his garage from here. so i have his tire trailer and rallycross tires here.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/28/17 3:53 p.m.

thanks PG

patgizz
6/1/17 9:24 p.m.

Well. Even if i am pretty much just humoring myself here, it ran for a couple seconds tonight. Fuel pump is dead from 3 years of sitting, so i shot some starting fluid into it. Fired immediately. So my computer and stuff is still good. Have to order a few more bits so will just have to move it out from in front of the garage for saturday's challenge related shenanigans

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/1/17 11:00 p.m.

Woo-hoo!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
6/2/17 9:00 a.m.

What are the hp/ftlb #'s on that LS?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/17 3:37 p.m.

I know photobutt broke all my pics. I'm going to get some up on photoberkit

I can say that today i put my registration sticker on(that expires in a few weeks) and just rolled through a cruise night rumbling, and heading to MIL's house for her birthday. In the Impala

Patrick
7/8/17 3:38 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: What are the hp/ftlb #'s on that LS?

Dunno, should be right near 400hp with the cam and longtube headers. Feels like way more than the 5.3 that calculated right at 330hp based on ET/weight

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/17/17 10:07 p.m.

P, been awhile on this ......life get in the way?

Patrick
8/18/17 7:19 a.m.

Life gets in way of posting pics, but I've been driving the car for a month. I have to fudge with the idle numbers when warm because of the big cam. When hot, and only in the city of Medina, it has stalled a couple times. Nowhere else oddly enough. There is a patch of road under the turnpike bridge that's been dedicated to making as many elevenses as possible trying to wear down the 10 year old tires. They're not budging.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/18/17 8:32 a.m.

Elevenses......BWaHahahaaaa cracks me up.....there's a swanky subdivision up the hill from me with a gated entrance and lo and behold there's a giant doughnut showing which side to go thru!!! What's your sixty foot?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/18/17 8:39 a.m.

Elevens are fun, between the weight of the car and power it makes im not sure how you havnt killed the tires. The only tires ive seen take long to die are old polyglass.

Patrick
8/18/17 4:32 p.m.

These are 10+ year old NT555. They're bricks. I'm going to replace in spring probably but may run 15's for a while because why not. Intend to bolt on the hoosier quick time pros and put skinnies on the front and take it to the strip with the laptop and hptuners but i also am concentrating on challenge car right now.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n4Rau7zRrctymCFlBwq8bg9PLsNtEG0WUepZ9pNKtwMMsrCg5ES8hHMuQ6mz2rG5