1 2 3 4 5
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/19/09 12:08 p.m.

I've heard about people sandblasting a line into glass, and they just keep blasting until it erodes away the glass. Effective, but it takes forever, and sure seems like a PITA. I've never tried it, but I have to think that a garden hose dribbling water over the cut area + a 4.5" grinder with abrasive wheels would make short work of the cut without messing it up, as long as you went slow and let the weight of the grinder do the work.

Hell - I was impressed with how clean a cut it made when I was cutting out a roof and accidentally went into the windshield. It splintered for ~1/8" from the cut, but that was it.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
8/19/09 12:41 p.m.

I have seen this done with side windows and it works well. Not sure on the logistics of a front window though.

You need 2 identical pieces of glass (2 left sides, 2 right sides ect)

a Piece of lexan

and an oven

Heat the lexan at 150 for about 7-10 min.. until it's plyable.

Pull it out and put it on the 1 piece of glass, roll out the shape quickly with a small wall paper roller.

before it cools put the other piece of glass ontop and clamp it

let it sit until cool

pull out your ultra cool racer side window.

the only place I know with ovens that big with control are Powdercoat guys

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
8/19/09 5:36 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Speaking of, I showed you mine...

Thought about it.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
8/25/09 2:06 p.m.

Am I the only one that wants to put the powertrain from a SHO taurus in the back seat of one of these?

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
8/25/09 2:09 p.m.
4eyes wrote: Am I the only one that wants to put the powertrain from a SHO taurus in the back seat of one of these?

It's been done before at a Challenge. So not really new.

E

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/25/09 4:03 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Thought about it.

Honestly, I prefer the anticipation. I've never been one to sneak around looking for Christmas presents in the closet. "Dude, have you seen the what the Nelsons brought?" is one of my favorite parts of the big dance.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
8/25/09 4:19 p.m.

"Dude, have you seen the what the Nelsons would never in their right mind would have thought of bringing ?" Thats my favorite part of the big dance

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/09 11:23 a.m.

SHO powertrain in back has been done by Ford. Called the "Shogun" it was a show car only. Some aftermarket company started doing them (i think...)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
8/26/09 11:41 a.m.
AutoXR wrote: I have seen this done with side windows and it works well. Not sure on the logistics of a front window though. You need 2 identical pieces of glass (2 left sides, 2 right sides ect) a Piece of lexan and an oven Heat the lexan at 150 for about 7-10 min.. until it's plyable. Pull it out and put it on the 1 piece of glass, roll out the shape quickly with a small wall paper roller. before it cools put the other piece of glass ontop and clamp it let it sit until cool pull out your ultra cool racer side window. the only place I know with ovens that big with control are Powdercoat guys

Genius!!!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
8/26/09 12:48 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
Thought about it.
Honestly, I prefer the anticipation. I've never been one to sneak around looking for Christmas presents in the closet. "Dude, have you seen the what the Nelsons brought?" is one of my favorite parts of the big dance.

Done

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
8/26/09 1:12 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: SHO powertrain in back has been done by Ford. Called the "Shogun" it was a show car only. Some aftermarket company started doing them (i think...)

Bill Gowalt did it for <$2000. That's what I meant.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/26/09 1:15 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/fastiva/

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
8/26/09 1:22 p.m.

Couldn't you just cut a piece of lexan to size for the windshield?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/26/09 1:41 p.m.

Yes.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/29/09 11:53 p.m.

I have nothing to offer to the build. I remeber you talking about it once. That looks awesome, thanks for updating this thread. I can't make it this year, but I am looking forward to seeing this thing

poopshovel wrote: Honestly, I prefer the anticipation. I've never been one to sneak around looking for Christmas presents in the closet. "Dude, have you seen the what the Nelsons brought?" is one of my favorite parts of the big dance.

Ad me to that chorus. Plus he's always so gracious and open about the whole thing; "Look what we did here, that was my wife's idea..." etc.

alfadriver wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: SHO powertrain in back has been done by Ford. Called the "Shogun" it was a show car only. Some aftermarket company started doing them (i think...)

Gotwalt did it for less than $2k and built a V-8 914 the same year for less than $2K

akamcfly
akamcfly New Reader
8/30/09 9:08 a.m.

Chuck Beck of "Beck Spyder" fame. They made a few - less than ten I think. Of course jay Leno has one...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/30/09 9:10 a.m.
Mental wrote: I have nothing to offer to the build. I remeber you talking about it once. That looks awesome, thanks for updating this thread. I can't make it this year, but I am looking forward to seeing this thing
poopshovel wrote: Honestly, I prefer the anticipation. I've never been one to sneak around looking for Christmas presents in the closet. "Dude, have you seen the what the Nelsons brought?" is one of my favorite parts of the big dance.
Ad me to that chorus. Plus he's always so gracious and open about the whole thing; "Look what we did here, that was my wife's idea..." etc.
alfadriver wrote:
Gotwalt did it for less than $2k and built a V-8 914 the same year for less than $2K

Gotwalt did a helluva job on those cars. It was a shame to lose that man.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/9/09 9:18 p.m.

I knew about the Shogun concept car but not about the others. This place has a encyclopedic knowledge base on autos, thanks.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
9/10/09 8:14 a.m.

We had a local in our club that ran one for a while, it has changed hands a few times.. Neat car.. Last time it sold it was for 12K or so. Yellow, dual supertrapps out the back and nice BBS wheels.

This thread needs update pics.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/10/09 8:18 a.m.

Good news: We'll be at the Challenge.

Bad news: It'll either be in a V6 Dodge Shadow convertible that Wayne stole from a messican, or I'll be trying to break my own record for most whiskey consumed in a 48 hour period (this requires 'breakfast shots'.)

Looking forward to it either way, but even with a projected "all-in" budget of $500 - $1000 for the Rusteevah, I can't justify spending a single penny on car stuff right now. Yes, we could slap the 1.8 and a fuel pump in and call it "done," but I'd rather bring it next year when it's done "right."

But if Andy Nelson asks, tell him we're bringing a 9-second monster with show quality paint and body work.

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
9/10/09 8:46 a.m.

Oh come on just bring it...I'm sick of you guys bringing "done" cars. I wanted to bring a "done car" too this year...no way that is going to happen in the next three weeks!

I'll do what we did in '06 and '07, bring a decently competitive car the first year then improve it for the second year. I want to see the Rusteevah in person!

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/10/09 9:01 a.m.
4eyes wrote: This place has a encyclopedic knowledge base on autos, thanks.

I think that this is the most accurate statement ever made about our board members.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
9/10/09 9:55 a.m.

Good to see I'm not the only one bringing a crapola to the challenge.

I've been meaning to come to the challenge for years. This years objection was just to make it with a running car.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
9/10/09 10:00 a.m.

At least you guys can make it. The $1,500 I just dropped on my grille (not the one on my Rabbit, the one on my face) pretty much depleted the fun stuff fund. Stupid teeth.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/10/09 10:41 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: At least you guys can make it. The $1,500 I just dropped on my grille (not the one on my Rabbit, the one on my face) pretty much depleted the fun stuff fund. Stupid teeth.

At least tell me there was platinum and diamonds that read "P-I-M-P" involved....and tell me you're paying your $50 for a meal ticket and finding a way down so we can get hammered in the hot tub. Floor space/rollaway available in our room.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5RIALgrBjYsNSv1n6sxHBdEQnKEARCn63kAcjGf0rk1S7dTMIw9CGiAm5PLX8ekP