1 2 3
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/11/20 1:11 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Great car. Saw it when it was for sale. 

Question, since you are saying this will be the cars SECOND trans rebuild! How many miles does this thing have? Are these glass trannys like Honda V6 ones from back in the day?

Nah not Honda bad. This is a high mile car. I think it's darn near 200k miles. These cars make a lot of power and very violently

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/12/20 9:50 a.m.

Is the diff making any noises? Has it been replaced?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/12/20 11:46 a.m.

Diff is quiet, no noises, no idea if it has been replaced, at least nothing obvious to show that it has.

Also, it has a temp sensor and the trans temp never went over 190 degrees, give or take a few degrees. Surprising with how bad that clutch pack was.

9/17/20 2:22 p.m.

Yo, how are we coming along ?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/25/20 9:41 p.m.

Coming along slowing, did get the parts in, so hopefully Sunday I can make some headway with assembly. I did get the pump together, so that is ready. 

Case is empty, picture before it was cleaned out. Inside the voodoo slushbox, rarely seen by humans. Hopefully I won't have to see it for a long time after this. 

Received new drum to replace leaky one, good one on left, bad on right. Went aftermarket on the drum, since the failed one was a GM drum, not tempting fate twice.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/29/20 10:01 p.m.

Got some work done on the trans, main case is back together, just have to go through the valve body and put it on, then it will be ready to go back in. A few shots of the progress, not too many, didn't want to have to keep washing my hands to take photos, trans fluid is slippery crap.

Got the big arse snap ring back in, didn't have to buy the $170 snap ring pliers, but they would make it easier. Looking at intermediate support here.

Drums are in, just have forward planetary/turbine shaft and 1-4/3-5-R drum to go.

Main case is back together (told ya I didn't take a lot of pictures). Valve body is last part to finish. Heavy transmission for sure, had to use engine hoist to put it on the toolbox.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/29/20 10:05 p.m.

Box of used parts from the rebuild. There are a lot of good clutches and steels in there. All because of the one failed drum that burned up the 3-5-R clutch pack.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/4/20 8:20 p.m.

Well, the transmission is back in the car, took about 4 hours today. I still have some stuff to put on like the exhaust, but the transmission and driveshaft is in. Sorry not many pictures, just worked at it and then realized after putting the lift back down that I didn't take any photos. Just this one taken on the ground. I will say that if you have to remove or install a transmission in a CTS-V, make sure you can get the converters off the exhaust manifolds, it would be much easier. I wasn't able to get them unbolted so it was a bit of a fight to get the transmission back in. Really hard to get a good angle on the nuts for the cats, and they are tough to break loose.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/5/20 12:19 a.m.

Shoot  I was hoping for a little more adventurous manual swap. Still taking apart the auto is even more than I want to do. Good job now hope it works good for you.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/11/20 3:22 p.m.

The manual swap for a V is quite involved and expensive, with the necessary parts hard to find. With 2 motorcycles, my Silverado and MGB all being manuals, I get enough shifting, sometimes a automatic is nice change.

The V is back on the ground, and even took a short drive around the area. It is working like it should now, shifts are good and solid. Still want to have it and the engine tuned, to make it a little better. A good tuner can set it up to help the transmission live a longer life, so that's what I want to go for. 

Of course you never get through a major job like this without something going wrong, at least I don't. Nothing major though, just the extension housing seal is leaking a bit, enough that I can't just ignore it. New seal is ordered and will be in tomorrow. If that is all that gives me a problem, I will call it a success. 

10/11/20 6:21 p.m.

Great news on the tranny.....now you're an egg'spert wink...tell me more about the "B" you have my email.....oh and I'm headin' to G'ville with a trailer full the week of the 20th .....the rims are yours just sayin'............late

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/11/20 6:27 p.m.

It's just a 75 B, that I am working on doing a V6 swap. Sold the engine and transmission last year. Been sitting around as other projects keep pushing it back. 

Week of the 20th, hmm. I'll let you know.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/18/20 10:42 a.m.

Rear seal is changed, no leaks now. Drove the car around yesterday for a while, putting some miles on it. So far the shifting is good and best of all no slipping issues.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/27/20 9:32 p.m.

Took the V out for a Sunday drive, nothing too wild. Picture here: https://autox.pxlwonder.com/p790330659/hf048a48e#hf048a48e

Performed quite well, although with remnants of rain that night, much past half throttle just lit the rear tires up. Couple spots it was dry enough to put down some power, was fun to drive for a 4-door sedan.

There was a newer ATS4 coupe there, made me wish I had AWD, that car moves rather quickly. The ATS4: https://autox.pxlwonder.com/p790330659/hf048a541#hf048a541

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/20 8:49 a.m.

I can't wait for this to be my next hand-me-down.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/28/20 7:53 p.m.

You gonna be waiting a while there,  

or maybe not, who knows. cheeky 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/29/20 5:27 p.m.

Well, the fun keeps coming. After our Points 10 event, on the way home, I got a "Battery Saver Active" alert, which I noticed cause the A/C system turned off. Volts were down to 11.2 while in traffic. Volts would come up with rpms, so I was able to make it home, but took the back roads in case Atlanta traffic was jammed like usual. Turns out the alternator is going out, new one is on the way. The one in it is a new GM/Delco one Poopshovel had done in Jan 2019. It is whining like a power steering pump and has a lovely hot electrical component aroma to it. Hopefully the new one will last a bit longer. I went with a new not GM one, since this one didn't last all that long. After it is out, I will see if I can tell what is wrong. I might have a local rebuilder take a look at it.

While the car was sitting in the garage, I found coolant underneath the front. I first thought it was from the intercooler, but it wasn't. A tee in the steam line setup cracked, but the tee isn't replaceable so I had to get a new steam line, from amazon for $137. Thanks GM for such wonderful designs. 

Tee crack

wider view of tee location. It runs from the radiator to the surge tank, with 2 tees for each of the steam lines from the heads. The line going past the throttle body is for the passengers side head steam line.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
11/29/20 9:07 p.m.

I would sure as hell cut those hoses and clamp a metal tee in there.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
11/29/20 11:23 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

The hoses are on the old side, so it will be new now. Later on I might make up an AN setup for more durability.

I wouldn't doubt GM makes a lot on parts for the car. If you look at the second picture, you can see the alternator pulley way down there. Should be fun getting it out, and it does come out through the top, subframe is blocking access from underneath.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
11/30/20 2:22 a.m.

It's crazy the amount of work it takes to get a car like that to 200k.  I am used to older and more boring cars that even 300K just takes mostly normal maintaince.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/20 6:56 a.m.

100 series Land Cruisers were famous for those heater T's cracking

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
12/5/20 4:09 p.m.

Was able to swap out the alternator today, turns out it had a reman in there. For what the dealer charged for it, I would have expected new. It has a new one now. 

Had to take just about everything off it seems to get the alternator out. I hope the engineers who designed this car spend eternity having to work on them.

Here is all the stuff taken off to get the alternator out.

Here is a surprise I found, belt tensioner was broken, surprised it stayed in place like this.

And as usual, I ended up dropping tools which ended up down there where it was very difficult to get them out. Surprised I didn't find a 10 mm socket down there.

12/5/20 6:28 p.m.

And not a single busted knuckle.......good on you  wink 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
12/6/20 9:28 a.m.

Maybe not a busted knuckle, but a few scratches here and there.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/20/21 11:18 a.m.

Haven't I been here before? Not again!

Yep, the new alternator only made it 1-1/2 months before failing, good thing it had a 1 year warranty. Sent it back for refund, ordered a Delco one, hopefully it lasts, has a 2 year warranty. I did have the alternator and battery bench tested to be sure, alternator was dead, no output at all. I hope this isn't a repeating thing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DLTh0Bxbbnu4QS2XUqksyEmzgz0SuxKYb4Ve52OUZOyzDoeuP8KtXxA2ol9xPdpP