The
The HalfDork
6/16/14 7:54 a.m.

time and money are not a issue, i want to take a white 2 door e36 m3, strip it down to the shell, and here is the question REMOVE the wiring harness and replace it with a painless type harness for just the track needed circuits, fuel pump, brake light, engine and a after market guage/data logger set up....replace hood, doors, sunroof, decklid, fenders bumper covers with fiberglass or carbon, replace suspension with coil over, big brake kit,lexan glass,i figure it would take a year to do what i could do, the wiring is the part that worries me.....any input???

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/16/14 7:57 a.m.

What you'd want to do is do that for the chassis/body harness ONLY, unless you were also swapping the ECU out.

And it's very doable for a parts swapper.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
6/16/14 3:50 p.m.

Standalone ECU kind of goes hand in hand with an aftermarket datalogger dash. If that's how you want to do it, it's not an insane proposition, and there also plenty of services out there that will build you a custom plug and play harness to drop right in.

Wiring E36s sucks, as I know from firsthand experience. E92s aren't much better. E46s, bizarrely, are a piece of cake and everything you'd want to remove just unplugs.

The
The HalfDork
6/18/14 5:10 a.m.

OK, here it is, Max I hope you are right, more to come, get it on the lift and start gutting the interior.....it's not the white e36 i wanted but the prices were so close together i had to go for it......

The
The HalfDork
7/2/14 10:51 a.m.

Ordered the BendPak BL3500 QuickJack to get it off the ground, also ordered a carbon fiber roof.......thats going to be fun, need to know what size spot weld drill bit i need to remove the oem roof 96 spot welds, will remove front and rear glass at same time...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/14 11:19 a.m.

I'm not sure what's going on here but I think I like it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/14 12:33 p.m.

Whoa did you just win the lottery!?

I seriously think that's what happened.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
7/2/14 9:55 p.m.

Well that escalated quickly! Gutted e46 m3 with standalone should be a rocket.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
7/3/14 8:23 a.m.

Wait,,,what? Whoa!

The
The HalfDork
7/7/14 6:59 a.m.

no i did not win the lotto, just got to the point where i can put something nice together even if it takes two years, the car can sit on the lift and i will work on it a little each day, i ordered the csl carbon roof so that will be a fun install, i will post some pics as that plays out

The
The HalfDork
7/7/14 7:00 a.m.

i got these forgeline single nut wheels in silver

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/14 7:18 a.m.

Ooh shiny..

burdickjp
burdickjp GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/7/14 12:30 p.m.

Instead of a painless harness, look into ISO 280 compatible hardware, such as these: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/waytek/catalog227/#/118/OnePage

I use one of those Cooper Bussmann boxes at the top on almost all of my builds. You can get flashers, fuses, relays, diodes, resistors, etc. all in that form factor. It allows you a LOT of flexibility in wiring.

The
The HalfDork
7/7/14 3:20 p.m.

thanks burdickjp, i will check it,this is the only area that worries me...

The
The HalfDork
7/9/14 6:32 a.m.

got this spliter.......i am going to start this build in a week or so i hope, the parts are piling up, gonna order the ground control double adjustable coil overs....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dBLQzXSHTaUoQ7lUJOsrFj4M23wGLUHWYj8d9ZSLYYd6sO7r2g36qInfTF0eL4pz