1 2 3 4
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 6:41 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That TB isn't really gross from an LS standpoint. I think they look like that 100 miles after cleaning them. 

Also, I'm giggling about you not having a code reader. I don't know why. It just seems like that absolute most basic tool for working on that sort of engine I suppose. 

I know, right? Seems like a required tool. But I really am just a hack of a shade tree mechanic. Because our state doesn't do smog or vehicle inspections, if the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, but the car is drivable (although barely functional), I usually just roll with it.  Thus the reason I haven't bought my own code reader yet.  That's about to change though, this project is requiring me to up my game wink

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

If you’re at a junkyard it’s the same connector as the crank position sensor to ignition module connector on every 60*v6 fwd gm from the mpfi 2.8 at least through the 3400.  There are billions of those connectors out there.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/19 8:02 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That TB isn't really gross from an LS standpoint. I think they look like that 100 miles after cleaning them. 

Also, I'm giggling about you not having a code reader. I don't know why. It just seems like that absolute most basic tool for working on that sort of engine I suppose. 

I know, right? Seems like a required tool. But I really am just a hack of a shade tree mechanic. Because our state doesn't do smog or vehicle inspections, if the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, but the car is drivable (although barely functional), I usually just roll with it.  Thus the reason I haven't bought my own code reader yet.  That's about to change though, this project is requiring me to up my game wink

There's probably more than a few of us on here that have multiples... I technically have 2 but I do use them both regularly. I could mail you one but honestly you are probably better off spending the $15 in shipping on just buying one!

Something like this guy plus $5 for the torque pro app on your phone gets you code reading and all kinds of extra gauges you didn't know you needed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550152808&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+obd2

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/14/19 8:57 a.m.

This is mine. I think it was 20 bucks or so from newegg.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 7:31 p.m.

I got a new connector scabbed into the coolant temperature circuit.  Started it up, No improvement.  bummer. 

Scanned and now I'm getting a new code: P0336, something about a crank position sensor.  Any tips?

Patrick
2/14/19 7:57 p.m.

Seeing your coolant temp sensor wiring, i would inspect the rest of the harness.  The crank sensor is down on block side, passenger, right above starter.  Black sensor, 3 wire plug. 

Whatever is causing your p0336 is likely your culprit of how it runs

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Try a new sensor? Or is there another route?

Patrick
2/14/19 8:24 p.m.

its likely to not be the sensor, butI would pull it out(1 bolt) and inspect it for damage.  Generally speaking a bad sensor will cause a no run, not what you’re experiencing.  I know chasing wires doesn’t sound fun, but the budget dictates the situations we get ourselves into.  

This is the kind of code that is set by improperly installed of damaged sensor wheel on the crank(highly unlikely here) or a chafed/chewed wire.  Mice love wire insulation 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Possibly related, the crankcase was severely overfilled with oil. I've never seen it so high on a dipstick and I drained 11 quarts out. Recommended capacity is 6, and I drove it home that way. Did I berk a something up?

Here are some pics of the underside:

Patrick
2/14/19 9:15 p.m.

What the eff tears a hole in a truck frame like that?  Wow

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
2/14/19 9:15 p.m.

Is the 11 qts all oil, or is it milkshake=  oil+ antifreeze? 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Looks like a flat bed tow truck tie-down berkeley up.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/14/19 9:31 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Is the 11 qts all oil, or is it milkshake=  oil+ antifreeze? 

No milk shake. It's as if someone went to change the oil, but skipped the "drain the old out" step of the process.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/15/19 8:54 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

2) The extended wheel base version of this series Envoy looks like it got a Hump-Back

The Envoy XUV (with the retractable roof, extendable partition between the cargo area and rear seat, and dual-swing tailgate) have even more of a humpbacked appearance. They are extremely rare though, and the roof NEVER works anymore

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 9:43 a.m.
NickD said:
Indy-Guy said:

2) The extended wheel base version of this series Envoy looks like it got a Hump-Back

The Envoy XUV (with the retractable roof, extendable partition between the cargo area and rear seat, and dual-swing tailgate) have even more of a humpbacked appearance. They are extremely rare though, and the roof NEVER works anymore

These were available with Quadrasteer too, for even more obscure currently nonfunctional options, correct?

Robbie
2/15/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Those wheels are SICK though. Obviously GMC kidnapped the Saab 9-7 wheel designer and tortured her with an awful corporate hubcap. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/15/19 10:15 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
NickD said:
Indy-Guy said:

These were available with Quadrasteer too, for even more obscure currently nonfunctional options, correct?

No, Quadrasteer was never an option on Envoy/Trailblazers. It was on the 1500/2500 trucks. But they were available concurrently, as well as the wacky Webasto 5-panel panoramic sunroofs on the G6. All three options vanished from the option sheets quickly, and none of them ever worked right. 

I've seen roughly 15 Quadrasteer trucks, and only one of them was still operating, until the unobtanium control module died. I've seen about 5 Envoy XUVs, none of them ever worked properly. One came in for a recall and a curious coworker who had never seen one and didn't know any better retracted the roof panel, which then refused to close due to some failed sensor or something. We ended up removing trim pieces to get access to the motor and jumpering it to power to force it shut. And I've never seen the Webasto sunroof, but a coworker said that right off the truck you had to retime all the panels and there was a very tolerance and if you got it wrong all 5 panes crashed into each other and broke

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/15/19 11:19 a.m.

Barf.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/16/19 11:08 a.m.

It's a real E36 M3 show to remove this little gem berkeleyer. But finally got it out...... So, how do you test a crank position sensor?

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/16/19 11:40 a.m.

I didn't realize these came with the aluminium 5.3, nor did I know they're so cheap used.

Did a quick search and found a lot of V8 specimens locally... Now I'm wondering about tow vehicle utility for 4k lbs.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.  Any word on relative quality/crappiness of these vs the Tahoe line?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/16/19 2:16 p.m.

Berk it. Loading the parts cannon.

I'll keep all the old stuff and put it back in (for zero budget hit) until I find the problem. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/16/19 3:06 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

It's a real E36 M3 show to remove this little gem berkeleyer. But finally got it out...... So, how do you test a crank position sensor?

It certainly isn't by shoving it down the front of your pants. BTDT.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/19/19 6:41 p.m.

Well the parts cannon has failed to produce any results.  I've got this thing all berkeleyed up. It won't even start now.

Pretty frustrated if I'm honest. 

Tracing back my steps, I think I went wrong when I had a moment of operator error: I cleared the codes while the engine was running. I haven't been able to get it to start since. Any suggestions?  BTW, no active codes to read.

Robbie
2/19/19 7:08 p.m.

Hmm. I don't think clearing the codes with the engine running would do anything, although I wonder if you also reset the long term trims and the engine needed those to start in it's current state of disrepair.

Back to basics. Will it run on starting fluid? Is it out of gas? 

Start checking that components have power and ground. Ecu, coils, injectors, sensors, etc.

Good news is now with a no start you have a problem that is really clear when it is solved! Unlike a misfire or intermittent issue.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/19/19 7:26 p.m.

I'll follow this one because a few months back I bought a similar driving-engine-donor.  Mine's a 2001 Tahoe.  The wife has been using it like a side-by-side while I wait for a suitable project to come along to swap the 5.3 into.  Or a cool body to scab onto the Tahoe ;)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nGAKTXmJmba1Ct6RvxS1x4YNrgAYTd7tHJiM7HVXJYkdY8skyrlYtfCVU7Oo3e3I