1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CaprockFabShop
CaprockFabShop New Reader
2/9/18 9:16 p.m.

Awesome work so far! Makes me want to get another MX5!

~Peter

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
2/12/18 8:58 a.m.

Damn! How did I miss it! I've been waiting for this update and it escaped me! 

Love it, excellent choice on the wheels. Very appropriate, much JDM. Wow. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/12/18 9:35 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

Damn! How did I miss it! I've been waiting for this update and it escaped me! 

Love it, excellent choice on the wheels. Very appropriate, much JDM. Wow. 

Gratitude. Many happiness. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
2/12/18 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

Are those Drag/Rota's or are they the real deal (actual brand escapes me)?

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/12/18 10:12 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

Are those Drag/Rota's or are they the real deal (actual brand escapes me)?

They are replicas of the Work Equip 03 wheels. I very nearly bought the real thing, and had saved the money, but buying and having them delivered made my stomach burn. It seems like it's the norm to wait for months for them to be built. Then you have international delivery to contend with. And hope with fingers firmly crossed that everything works out well and you don't have to deal with any problems coupled with the language barrier with the Japanese manufacturer.

This route was the easy button in that the seller is a US company, the wheels were in stock, and UPS delivered them promptly.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
2/12/18 10:47 a.m.

Smart move. I always daydream of authentic wheels but really have a hard time with the cost, especially since they'll generally be destined for something less valuable then they are. I also would be almost immediately furious if I dropped $X,XXX dollars on wheels and had to wait an inordinate amount of time to get them. 

The easy button prevails, and looks amazing. Also that soft top looks luxurious! 

car39
car39 HalfDork
2/12/18 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Looks like New Departure in Bristol CT.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/12/18 4:59 p.m.

I just ordered my next shipment of parts from Japan. Hopefully they will deliver reasonably quickly. 

I'll update when they arrive.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
2/14/18 1:14 p.m.

Remember earlier in this thread where I mentioned that some of my parts came from Adam at Revlimiter ? That's where I got my center cap emblems too. It's very simple. You choose an artwork and tell him what diameter they need to be. He makes them and ships them quickly.

Note, they have dust on them in the pictures. The decals themselves are flawless.

Excuse the dirty wheels. I drove the car to work yesterday and it spent 24 hours sitting out in the weather in the station parking lot. 

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/14/18 3:32 p.m.

That is really looking great. Love the dash and the wheels as well as the color.  I want another one........

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/1/18 12:33 p.m.

Japanese swank.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/1/18 2:16 p.m.

Also picked these up. Service manual, wiring diagram, TSB's and Service Highlights. I must admit, I have a fetish for having full paper service manuals on all my stuff.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/4/18 12:18 p.m.

Mirrors installed. Waiting on the glass guy to come replace the pitted original windshield.

Next phase of the project I move underhood and get serious with detail and a few small mods.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
3/4/18 6:02 p.m.

That is one clean Miata! The attention to detail is insane

davefla
davefla New Reader
3/8/18 7:53 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

I must admit, I have a fetish for having full paper service manuals on all my stuff.

You're not alone.

Congratulations on this project, it looks more like "$30k new roadster" than "sub-$4k, over 100k, and 22 years old"!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/8/18 8:16 a.m.

How have I not seen this thing around town. I swear I look around for it everywhere when I'm out and about lol

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
3/8/18 10:06 a.m.

Love the mirrors. This is so great. Definitely a motivator for my 'currently languishing until spring' VW Golf revival project. 

Keep up the good work! 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/10/18 10:16 a.m.

This week I had ordered several molded vacuum hoses from Mazda and a roll of bulk vacuum hose from Amazon.

So I spent this morning changing all of the vacuum hoses on the engine and in the engine compartment and disassembled, cleaned, and di-electric grease sealed all electrical connections.

I have several nice parts for the engine compartment on order so the next phase will be engine and engine bay beautification along with any mechanical deficiencies that I turn up in the process. I'll send the injectors out to be cleaned and serviced at the same time too.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
3/10/18 10:23 a.m.

looks good!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/10/18 10:27 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

looks good!

Thank you. Wait till I bust out the powder coat for the big stuff and drop all of the small widgets and hardware off to be re zinc plated.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
3/11/18 6:24 p.m.

I started slinging powder today.

That always put me in a good mood when I can get my OCD freak on.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
3/11/18 8:05 p.m.

Very nice work!  I really some of your touches and they're giving me some great ideas for my Cougar build.  Specifically the dash board and door panels. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
3/12/18 10:34 a.m.

You are a sick man, and in the best way possible. The engine bay already looks clean enough to eat off of! 

I'm excited for the next phase. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
3/12/18 11:06 a.m.
wawazat said:

Very nice work!  I really some of your touches and they're giving me some great ideas for my Cougar build.  Specifically the dash board and door panels. 

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
3/12/18 11:08 a.m.
Gunchsta said:

You are a sick man, and in the best way possible. The engine bay already looks clean enough to eat off of! 

I'm excited for the next phase. 

I’m really considering just pulling the engine so I can detail the entire engine and compartment at a serious level. If I don’t do it soon, I will come winter when I quit driving the car as much. I know when I do that I’m looking at a couple of months downtime for the project. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2WEEFM2GI0etupX8ddi2P1b7JzFIbbM21Af6RCdQ5Xnet6ySvz0JiQY0E1a0ShGr