1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/20 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

This is the old pre citrus stuff that one drop makes enough fumes to destroy your eyes.  

9/9/20 1:18 p.m.

3 more hours (12 total)

hmmmm $1000 headers or free Camaro manifolds?  Seeing as how I've made 489hp through them on a 5.3, they should be perfect for this 400ish hp 5.7.  

Nowhere in the ad for the trans crossmember did it say welding is required, but the first step in the instructions is prep frame to weld some brackets.  Not today.  Maybe not for a while, i'll get a big ratchet strap under the transmission for now.  Goal was engine/trans in car so they're not on the floor.  That's accomplished.

speedway motors clone of the holley 302-1 pan went on. Had a "glad this didn't die" moment when i pulled the old pickup tube and there was a torn new blue o ring stacked on the dry original one.  I got the engine from someone who got it from someone who ran it in not a camaro so who knows how many hands were on it.  I know it has a full comp cams cam and valvetrain setup.  Speedway's chinese clone isn't bad but the pickup tube bracket needed some work to not squish the windage tray

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/20 1:34 p.m.

As someone who hates header gasket leaks, or the tinny ringy sound they have underhood, I heartily approve of exhaust manifolds.  Especially when they aren't really hurtful to use.

You shamed me into crawling under the new truck with the pressure washer over lunch.  Thanks. 

I know ill appreciate it later. And it will be way more pleasant to work on. but....

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
9/9/20 3:07 p.m.

This is going to be sweet. 

I'm interested to watch a thread like this on GRM where I know none of the typical "old car guy" bullE36 M3 will come into play. 

Are you going to use the stock column shifter with the 4l65e?

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/9/20 3:58 p.m.

Dang, moving right along!

9/9/20 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Yep the new detent and shift linkage is on the shelf by the car.  Unless it's physically impossible with the exhaust, but the camaro manifold looks to be clearing everything.  

also i hate old car guy bullE36 M3.  If I didn't have this ls1 without a home i was going to put an rb25det in it

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/9/20 5:55 p.m.

Thank you for NO rb25det in this iconic sled boss....carry on....looking way good so far

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/9/20 7:05 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

I will admit to being more than slightly disappointed that there were homeless LS engnes kicking around.  I'm all for purism most of the time but sometimes you just gotta have fun.

9/16/20 8:25 a.m.

Shall keep the rb dream alive for the skyline i plan to buy in a few years.  I've had $2248 in parts sales the last month and a half so the skyline fund is building.  

i spent $51 on a gas pedal and it makes me happy.  I still don't have a legit pedal option for the Wartburg, so it's thrilling to be able to say "send me a bolt in cable throttle pedal and take my damn money" and smash the easy button.  

billet?  Ugh, they ALL are.  Going to spray the pedal itself with bedliner to make it black and grippy.  

11/2/20 3:41 p.m.

Abby and i ran to menards with the new trailer to pick up some stuff for the house and there's a package greeting us at the door.  I hope it's what i think it is

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/2/20 3:55 p.m.

I hope it is what I think it is too

11/2/20 4:41 p.m.

INDEED!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/2/20 4:54 p.m.

Coilovers!!!!

11/2/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I fought one stock spring and between the rust and that I would have to cut them due to the weight difference between iron 6 cylinder and iron powerglide vs aluminum ls1 and 4l60e I just wasn't having any of that BS.  I had some $ in PayPal from selling the wheel horse so I smashed the easy button.  Had to buy shocks anyway.  

left side together, need to disassemble the right drum brakes off the spindle so I can clean everything.  Time to get my disc brake brackets out of the basement and see if I'm using the old stuff off the chevelle or buying new.  

11/4/20 5:54 p.m.

Bolt ons work sometimes 

according to the destructions i need 72 chevelle front rotors and bearings - check since I'm sitting right next to a 72 chevelle that got all new stuff so the rotors are available.  Calipers are run of the mill metric gm stuff, have to check the shelf but I believe there's a spare pair kicking around as well as some new pads somewhere

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/4/20 6:04 p.m.

This is fun! Nice work.

11/4/20 6:23 p.m.

Found one caliper and sprayed it with silver rally wheel paint.  If i found one then i have a pair because that's how stuff works around here and I remember buying 4 from the guy.  2 are on back of the Wartburg.  Might need to grab a couple metric banjo bolts but also have to check because i think I bought 4 last time on purpose.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/4/20 7:10 p.m.

...JUST realized that you've got tubular arms instead of the OE riveted together nightmares.

well, i am sure they worked fine, but doing balljoints on them was less than fun.  2/3rds of fun to be precise.

11/4/21 4:03 p.m.

A year to the day I bolted the spindle back on the driver's side, I finally had time to put the rotor on.  Have been working on the house and myself for almost a year now, time for some garage time

11/8/21 5:39 p.m.

ROLLER ALERT

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/8/21 5:58 p.m.

Oh my!!!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/8/21 6:06 p.m.

nice, congrats!

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc New Reader
11/9/21 8:07 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Well, thankfully i'm just a really lucky mere mortal.  I'm not throwing numbers around, but after selling the original engine and trans the starting point is only 3 digits

surprise

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/21 8:52 a.m.

Excited to see the process! What a cool car this will be.

Unrelated, where is Mazdeuce these days?

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R8UZ4krtQrhmO45ThXG4lNT2vGPgbzN6vGRD6ETiPwuiUni48jpTyFbEKeg9kL9B