1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/26/20 1:03 p.m.

I had a few minutes during my lunch break today to knock out a couple #CoronaCars projects, and one of them involved the Power Wagon. I wanted to replace the defroster duct on the passenger side. On these old trucks, they used a reinforced paper/fiber tube, and after 40+ years of use, parts of it have turned to dust. Here in New England, having a defroster is essential in the colder months, so I wanted to fix it.

After reading a few posts of other people's repairs, I decided to pick up a dryer duct and modify it to work.

Deflecto Ducto, cuz!

Here's the duct compared to the skeletal remains:

As you can see, the 4" duct is a bit larger and longer.

I cut the duct in half and cut the duct at each end to taper the diameter. Then I used duct tape to seal up the slit. Probably the only time I've used duct tape to actually tape a duct in my lifetime.

I used zip ties to secure it in place on each end, and it fits just fine. It's a bit ugly, but it works great. You won't see it at all with the glove box installed, so as long as it works, I'm good with that.

I also ran the truck for about 5-10 minutes since I haven't driven it anywhere in a few weeks. Fired right up no problem and still runs well.

Next up: fix the coolant temperature gauge.

robot
robot New Reader
4/14/20 12:23 p.m.

Wow, Tony, this is great.  I just started my build thread for a '78 W150.  I've read all of this thread and seen so many familiar things.  Thanks for the inspiration and I will be watching your build!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/20 1:39 p.m.

In reply to robot :

Glad my thread helped someone! These are cool trucks, and I'm glad to see other people are saving them. Keep wrenching!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/20 1:40 p.m.

Not much in the realm of updates lately, but I've been driving the truck at least once a week, even if it's just around the block. And since there's currently a pandemic, I have to make sure everyone in my family is protected, including Mr. Ram:

Stay safe out there!

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
4/18/20 12:06 a.m.

Love the picture! Nice work on the duct tube.

My timing chain/cover will be done tomorrow. Seeing your thread always makes me jealous because I can't wait to put some miles on the Dodge!

George

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/5/20 1:57 p.m.

Not much has changed in Power Wagon Land since the last post. I've been driving it more than my daily driver, since gas is cheap and I have been staying close to home if and when I go out. The state inspection was up in April, but we got an extension due to the pandemic, so it needs to pass next month. One thing that has been still bothering me is the non-working speedometer. After looking around locally and coming up with nothing, I found another early one on Ebay cheap.

The seller said this one is fully working, and the speedometer looks like it's in perfect shape. Actually, all of the gauges look better than anything I have now. I'll have to carefully piece together the cluster with my later style cage and pop it in soon.

Only thing that bothers me about this is the odometer. I want to keep it close to what I currently have, but I have learned my lesson on taking them apart from the two broken speedometers I have now. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to fix that.

Chuck the cable in a corded drill. Ziptie drill trigger down. Spin until it matches. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/5/20 2:43 p.m.

Good Looking truck.

You are doing all the typical stuff.

My Defrost Tubes are still in one piece amazingly on my 77 (no AC Truck)

Greg

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/5/20 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

You know, that's not a bad idea. And I even have a speedo cable that doesn't fit the truck that I can use.

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/5/20 5:35 p.m.

Glad you found a speedo. That would drive me nuts too.

I've been driving mine a lot too, just did a beach trip today with it. Even have the AC working! Lol 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/5/20 6:11 p.m.
Georges1991 said:

Glad you found a speedo. That would drive me nuts too.

I've been driving mine a lot too, just did a beach trip today with it. Even have the AC working! Lol 

Beaches in Illinois/ Michigan/ Ohio are the best... I refuse to vacation on the right side beaches.

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/5/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I think the Great Lakes have the BEST beaches in the country. Hands down. Clean, beautiful water, and easily accessible.

We went to Indiana today. 88 degrees and just gorgeous 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/5/20 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Georges1991 :

I really wish this truck had A/C. That's the one thing I really wish it had. I'd like to do one of those under-the-dash Vintage Air-style ones, since this one has no dash vents, but they don't make a turnkey kit for these trucks. Not even sure what to use to make that happen, but it's something that needs to happen at some point.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/5/20 8:56 p.m.

I pulled an entire Dash, Heater Box and all the AC stuff from a Parts Truck on CL for My 77..I don't know if I will ever get around to putting the AC in My truck... but I have the parts to begin doing so if Needed.

The Dash was even the correct color... Powder Blue Like yours.

Greg

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
6/5/20 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I agree Tony. I grew up with non-AC cars, and "can handle it" but man, freezing your nads off sitting in 90 degree bumper to bumper traffic is just heaven on earth.

Plus since my 2 year old frantically requests we take the truck EVERYWHERE, its nice for her too.

Like Greg said, a parts truck would probably be a good option if you can find one. Im sure Cooter would be able to assist. Modifying a vintage air unit doesn't seem like it would be too hard either, making it work.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
6/6/20 7:42 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to Georges1991 :

I really wish this truck had A/C. That's the one thing I really wish it had. I'd like to do one of those under-the-dash Vintage Air-style ones, since this one has no dash vents, but they don't make a turnkey kit for these trucks. Not even sure what to use to make that happen, but it's something that needs to happen at some point.

My 74 REPU has the dealer option A/C. It's fully installed aside from the compressor (which I have), but I've never got around to getting it working. Not sure why, or if I ever will. It's such a small truck I'm not sure it really needs it. What with the footwell vents, and vent windows. I imagine a complete A/C system for a rare short run truck might be worth something?

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/6/20 8:56 a.m.

Is repu a lil red express?

Those were only produced in 78 and 79.

Greg

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/6/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

A REPU is a Mazda truck with a rotary engine.

His is freaking awesome, too. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/6/20 8:22 p.m.

So I had an interesting day. 

I got up to do my Saturday errands in the truck, which led me to the gas station. I noticed it was running funny, doing the "low idle thing" that it;s been doing lately, but worse. It stalled pulling into the gas station. Ugh... Last time it did this, the charging system was to blame. So, I limped home and popped the hood. Everything looked fine, until I gave it some gas. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something leaking, and then I smelled it: FUEL.

The top of the pump was shooting lots of fuel out. Not really what you want in a fuel pump. That had to go. 

It was all sorts of cracked and berked up. Pretty sure this one was the original pump. 

Only parts store with the pump in stock was 45min away, so off I went. 

Somehow, the original feed line came out without issue. I cleaned it up and re-used it. 

After a rain delay, in it went, mostly without issue. 

After firing it up, I checked for leaks, and took it out for a ride. It's still doing the weird low idle thing, but it doesn't stall and it drives smoother than it did before. Not shooting raw fuel everywhere all over hot engine things is an added bonus. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/6/20 9:04 p.m.

Cool. I Learn new stuff every day!

Greg

Thought of this thread last week but forgot to post. Saw this at Waffle House in Toledo OH:

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/7/20 5:10 p.m.

Forget the waffle house... Looks like they are ready for thr 'sippi hole.

Greg

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/20 6:59 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

The wheels are horrendous, but the rest of that... YOWZA. Before this thing showed up, I looked for years for a 1975-80 Ramcharger/Trailduster. I almost got one from a family member about 10 years ago, but it would have broken in half if I tried moving it. 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/7/20 7:07 p.m.

Then I consider myself lucky:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMRvJLL

Greg

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/20 7:15 p.m.

I had to do some "truck stuff" today, so I took the Power Wagon. Vehicles run a whole lot better when they are getting consistent fuel, who would have thought ? laugh 

I drove it about 30 miles, and it ran stronger than it ever has. Off idle tip-in was a problem before, and it would make a real bad clunk from up front somewhere when the throttle engaged, especially at low speeds. That's mostly gone now, and throttle is nice and smooth across the power band. I even took it on the highway, and get this: I PASSED SOMEONE. That was a tall order before but it just did it without a fuss, you know, like a normal vehicle. 

I did notice this when I was under it yesterday:

Not sure why that's leaking again, but yeah... Going to try tightening the pan bolts and hope it stops. A new oil pan is in its future anyway, so I'm not too concerned. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HBxoWvNpPSipRhr3elHd9DzgMsKQX41N2nHeotxqmjFvhrUlypDXBKPuH29Uehuc