1 2
wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/16 5:36 p.m.
MrRobogoat wrote: The '00-'02 EZ30Ds seem to be at a sweet spot for swaps; the OEM ECU and wiring can be fooled into working with a manual, and the radiator, engine mounts, and clutch all bolt up. The downside is that the ECUs are just not tunable

Super cool project. I quoted you so as to find this info more readily later. Thanks for paving the way.

MrRobogoat
MrRobogoat GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/27/16 10:15 p.m.
MrRobogoat wrote: I'm thinking of snagging a Group N mount off Ebay. I know I don't want a completely solid mount (which I could weld up in a few hours with steel I have right now), and the time / opportunity cost of building a mount with bushings adds up to more than buying a Group N mount. I ruled out the stock mount quickly, because it would wear out in maybe a year with the extra power and is a pain to change (and could take the engine mounts with it). Also should probably replace the trans crossmember bushings while I'm at it.

I ended up ordering the Group N mount the other night; I realized the opportunity + materials cost of making my own was too high. Didn't order crossmember bushings, as they do not appear to do anything but control NVH (something the $20 semi-solid bushings I was consider would have increased anyway). VSS should be here Monday; mount should be here Wednesday, then the transmission will go in the car.

Also, I managed to get the AC bracket off the engine the other night; unfortunately, it involved drilling out one of the bolts such that the nut-welding trick won't work. Womp womp. I'm thinking of using a screw extractor, since I think I already have about the right sized hole started. Today I did pick up a pair of nuts to use on the other two studs though; hopefully things go well and I won't be using extractors on those as well...

MrRobogoat
9/8/16 12:54 p.m.

Haven't been as good about taking pictures recently... Next big update I'll drop on you guys is when the trans is in.

About that... I've been cleaning and repainting the transmission cross members recently (I'm thinking of painting them a bright yellow over POR 15). I also snuffed out some rust on the trans tunnel (presumably caused by the transmission slopping about and gauging through the rust proofing) and on the bottom of the car. It needs some more, but not as urgently as what I dealt with. Trans mount arrived and is on the transmission... It's pretty much ready to go into the car, I need clutch part grease and then I could probably through the engine in, but I'm going to take my time and see if I can score enough WRX parts to make pulling the subframe spacers reasonable (while I clean up the EZ30 a bit, paint crossmembers... etc).

MrRobogoat
8/3/17 6:37 p.m.

Quick-ish update: This project is still underway. I have been tackling things bit by bit, on and off, and have forgotten to update here. The main achievement is that the engine is in now. I ended up replacing the valve covers and spark plugs just to be sure (which was a good call, there's no way either can be serviced without pulling the engine in my opinion). The intake manifold gasket also got replaced, as well as the EGR valve -- all part of the adventure that was replacing the bolts I snapped off mistakenly while removing the AC. I ended up making an embarrassing kluge of a fix, but the engine is reassembled with several new bits on it. I also have acquired some aluminum to make a custom idler puller to replace the AC, as that seems the 'right' way to delete it (I could get a shorter belt and grind of some of the head of a bolt, but that solution leaves only a 90 degree wrap on the alternator). Since the engine got installed, I ordered a fuel pump, a pair of universal fans for the front of the radiator, a new clutch line, and a slave cylinder (might also end up doing the master, we'll see). Also, I have started taking the dash apart, taking care to label and bag screws and connectors. I am debating on trying to remove the entire harness, or do merge with most of it in situ. I will come back to this with pictures and updates on how I solve all the peripheral problems of this as they happen; aided by funds from my new job, I have a real hope of driving this before the snow flies (again).

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/3/17 6:58 p.m.
MrRobogoat wrote: Back to the transmission; here's a noob question: how bad is it to reuse clutch parts? Specifically, the flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, throwout and pilot bearings? I have been thinking since the flywheel and clutch aren't being replaced the pilot bearing should be okay; the throwout bearing I can go either way on, and the bolts I feel the answer is "NO". Is that about right?

I don't know if you've already gotten to this but your answer is sort of backwards. I've always reused clutch pressure plate and flywheel bolts but NEVER pilot or throwout bearings.

Pilot and TO bearings might still be good to outlast one clutch but never the second one. There is a reason every clutch kit comes with a new pilot and TO bearings and not new bolts.

Side note, Flat 6 Subaraus are the only ones I like. Good luck with it.

MrRobogoat
8/4/17 1:51 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Yeah, I think that question was from when I was planning on reusing the clutch. I ended up using an Exedy KSB04 kit just to be sure. It included both the TO and pilot bearings, and some cute diagrams on how to install everything, all for under $200 to my door. I did reuse the flywheel bolts, but added blue loctite. I also reused the pressure plate bolts, as they were in good shape.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for future endeavors. :-)

Zackary97
Zackary97
4/20/23 2:25 p.m.

In reply to MrRobogoat :

Hi there!! I am actually the previous owner you purchased the forester from. I was thinking of this and was actually able to find this blog! I would love to hear an update on how it turned out! I still miss this thing, took her to some places no car has been before. Hope all is well! Look forward to hearing an update :) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uT8i0o7WBW7osEksF74cv8VhL8KYV44SEVj9W9xC0T6LIGYZmkKjhtIJKFFIg4Pa