1 2 3 4 5
Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/8/17 4:38 p.m.
APEowner wrote: I still like where this build is going. Sorry about the busted leg thing though. That's not nice. Also, if you're going to bust up your leg it's too bad you don't have a better story to go along with it. You know, something like; I was the first man into this fully involved building and the floor gave way and I fell two stories. We wouldn't have gone in at all but there was this room full of nuns that needed to be rescued so in we went. I don't think the initial break was that that bad but the forth nun I carried out after I broke it was a little on the heavy side and she refused to let go of her Great Dane. I think that carrying them out exacerbated things a bit.

Dude, you must have ties to the fire service. That's exactly the kind of story....at my department, everything is either a bus full of nuns or an orphanage full of puppies. Sometimes both.

I guess I looked okay even though it wasn't any emergency that caused the injury. My guys said that twice I grabbed the truck and pulled myself upright then passed out and hit the ground. The third time I woke up they were unzipping the bags to give me an IV with Dilaudid. I'm not ashamed to say the pain was intense for the first five minutes or so.

Then worker's comp tried to beat me up. I guess there are enough deadbeats out there trying to game to worker's comp system that they have to be a little skeptical until your case proves out as valid.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/8/17 5:08 p.m.

What is the time frame on all of this......shades of Ben_Mod, two and half weeks !?!!?!!!?????

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/9/17 6:02 a.m.

About two years overall.

I picked away at the engine a little here and there as I could find the parts. It was on a little stand and sat next to my toolbox.

The engine swap itself, about two weeks. The labor isn't too intense, but there is always waiting for something to be delivered.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 8:16 a.m.

Thank you for your service heal up. I had a'71 long wb stepside that looked OK, IMHO this screams bed shortening ala Skinny G.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/17 9:19 a.m.

I thought this truck was great at the start of the thread, but it's just gotten better. Well done!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/9/17 12:37 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: Thank you for your service heal up. I had a'71 long wb stepside that looked OK, IMHO this screams bed shortening ala Skinny G.

Oh, it will get shortened. I already have the stepside bed waiting in the wings.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
5/9/17 12:38 p.m.

High five on this build!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/9/17 12:39 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I thought this truck was great at the start of the thread, but it's just gotten better. Well done!

I appreciate the nice sentiment. The truck is currently at the muffler shop getting exhaust hung under it.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 6:22 p.m.

Cousin_E I meant to say that shortening this bed ,keeping the patina (the soul of this truck)IMHO is the way to go...rounded fenders on a square cab....hmmmm not so much. Step sides in the 67-72 era on the other hand rock....duh you had ONE! Your truck, your garage, love your effort and will observe from afar.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/17 7:14 p.m.

This is great. Just new enough to be more powerful and a reliable but not trying to reinvent the wheel and get too custom. This should last you a good long while and look great doing it.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/9/17 8:31 p.m.

I am a stepside guy. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

I put this one together a few years ago. Total investment was about 1200 bucks, a majority of which was new tires and drop spindles.

I'll do the same to this truck, except a lot nicer.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 9:03 p.m.

that flat looks cobbled up, how will you keep the patina!?!?!?!? sorry, never mind, going to bed....I guess we can agree to disagree......late, peace out.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/10/17 5:37 a.m.

That truck was cobbled up. I did it to prove what could be done in a week and very little money. That was my point. But it was solid and safe with new ball joints and brakes and tires.

Have patience. This is a one owner truck. It won't get anything cobbled up on it. I owe it to the man who loved and cared for this truck for 42 years. I mean, seriously, I had the engine hardware re-plated. Most guys would wire brush and spray paint that stuff. Have you seen me even come close to cutting any corners so far ?

My plumbing truck. I can make patina on a bed when I need to. This one only looked ratty. It was my absolute daily driver for 100k miles. It had every bit of the care and detail that you've seen me do on this build, just hidden.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/10/17 8:49 a.m.

YEs YES YES that's what I'm tawkin' bout. Hey who knew that front end loaders can come in handy when least expected. Your execution and attention to detail are envied here boss.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/10/17 5:37 p.m.

I picked it up from the muffler shop this afternoon.

Hanging the tripod from under the hood probably wasn't my greatest cinematic idea.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NG7CDXmMRXM?ecver=1

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/10/17 5:48 p.m.
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/17 6:49 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote: That truck was cobbled up. I did it to prove what could be done in a week and very little money. That was my point. But it was solid and safe with new ball joints and brakes and tires. Have patience. This is a one owner truck. It won't get anything cobbled up on it. I owe it to the man who loved and cared for this truck for 42 years. I mean, seriously, I had the engine hardware re-plated. Most guys would wire brush and spray paint that stuff. Have you seen me even come close to cutting any corners so far ? My plumbing truck. I can make patina on a bed when I need to. This one only looked ratty. It was my absolute daily driver for 100k miles. It had every bit of the care and detail that you've seen me do on this build, just hidden.

um, I need this truck.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
5/10/17 7:51 p.m.

Your attention to detail on this project is awesome. Taking the time to make it look like a factory build and keep the old aesthetics is right up my alley.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/17 8:58 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie wrote:

Great Thread. Every truck shown is pretty darn awesome in my book.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/18/17 5:40 p.m.

Trying to turn a 100 dollar swap meet bed into something worthy (alternate title: I got wood !).

Alternate rolling stock delivered today.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/18/17 9:20 p.m.

Hey everyone look!! a shop with no floor clutter!......Cousin E yu da man! oh and that bed rocks

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/18/17 11:55 p.m.

I love this I love this I love this.

More more more!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
5/19/17 6:06 a.m.

I'd have followed this build even if you kept in 99% factory. Even then, it LOOKS factory thanks to your attention to detail.

I'm a big-time stepside fan so either fleetside or stepside im on board.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta New Reader
5/19/17 7:53 a.m.

Wow this is beautiful. For what it's worth I paid $1,800 for my fairly rusty relatively unknown history 305/700r4 83- and I wasn't at all unhappy. So your minty fresh one owner truck for $2,000 is a sweet deal.

I would like to see it stay longbed, but that's just me. It's your truck and I'm sure the work will be better than OEM when you finish it. The Cragars, thin whites, 6 stick were the cats meow to me- that was perfect. But understanding the situation and respecting the amount of detail into the v8 conversion I can definitely appreciate it. I'm excited to see what the new wheels are!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/19/17 7:54 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: Hey everyone look!! a shop with no floor clutter!......Cousin E yu da man! oh and that bed rocks

You have to keep things organized if you want to be efficient. Tripping over stuff and looking for things just wastes time and causes frustration. Half an hour of cleaning pays off with many hours of improved efficiency.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1KLrlR6KJqLjnm8DyjD0sQ5b76x4qB6Hs0fr5q8JpXD7pzbgodDuxooHAfHXpwF