bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 9:45 p.m.

Ok, since every other thread I have has this in the background I figured I should put up a thread on it. 

Don't expect any real updates for awhile. If I don't get the ghia drivable before jumping on another project my wife will kill me. Already been distracted a few times.  

So, sad to admit, I've had this jeep for about 20 years now. My dad and I did a job for a guy and got it as partial payment. So I was about 12 or 14 can't remember now. 

So it use to be a grounds trucks at the jeep plant in Toledo OH (remember the old smoke stakes?). It was originally a single wheel rear and they converted it to a dually and it was a tanker truck. The guy we got it from had a dump flatbed put on it and used it on his farm. Then the brakes went out and sat. 

I eventually sold off the original chassis and running gear and is now sitting on a 95 f350 chassis. 

Oldest picture I have of it, well i have some actual pictures somewhere. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 9:51 p.m.

So history time in picture form. 

Cab being taken off the factory chassis. 

Mockup of the cab onto the f350 chassis 

Too tall, I think that was like 8.5ft tall. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 9:59 p.m.

So lowered it and moved it forward. Rattle canned it just so it was one color. 

Lower cab was rusted (remember this was a OH then MI truck) so I cut off the one remaining cab corner and used a piece of 2x4 steel to make a new solid piece to mount hinges to.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 10:05 p.m.

So onto the hinge.

Pivot point

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 10:09 p.m.

Then I put on a trailer fender. 

Held on with some tek screws

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/19 10:11 p.m.

I remember this in some of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/15/19 10:16 p.m.

So its funny how tiny those tires look. Those are hummer 37s, I told my wife I either need to get stock leaf springs and drop it down or get bigger tires. She said it needed 42s, lol.  

I never really planned to start on it like a did a year or two ago. But the 95 f350 fell into my lap for a tow bill to my house. It was a parts truck, missing the trans and transfer case, driveshafts, and fuel tank and pump. Some of the wires were cut here and there. But I picked up a v6 with the Borg Warner transfer case off a late 80s for $200. Spent a couple days putting everything back together and was able to get it running before I took it the ford cab off. Odometer read 220k on the 460. Not really the drive train I want. Really don't have the length for a cummins without the motor going back under the cab. And I really don't want the engine under the cab if I can avoid it. As it is with the bbf/c6/tcase I'm only going have about 18inches or so for a rear driveshaft. So I'm open to other ideas on drivetrains. But remember I'm in Texas with 80mph speed limits. 

Me seeing how I fit. I picked up an old set of suspension seats. 

My wife laughing at me making vroom vroom noises [before I lowered the cab]

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/15/19 11:11 p.m.

These are such cool trucks.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/15/19 11:39 p.m.

If you want diesel torque but can't afford the length, why not the Cummins 4bt? It's literally just the Cummins Inline-6 with 2 cylinders chopped off.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/16/19 6:55 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Two reasons, one people think they are made out of gold, I can get 6bt cheaper. Two is the cost to make them have enough power to be useful in a full size truck that will be used as a truck. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/16/19 7:52 a.m.
bigfranks84 said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Two reasons, one people think they are made out of gold, I can get 6bt cheaper. Two is the cost to make them have enough power to be useful in a full size truck that will be used as a truck. 

I do agree they are expensive as they aren't as available as the 6bt and their small package makes them very appealing, but they aren't too hard to get to ~250 hp/500 ftlbs. get a gov. spring, swap valve springs (which can be done with the head on and piston at TDC), then just turn up fuel and boost and adjust timing, maybe throw on a hx35 from the 6bt. All the same tricks the 6bt uses.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
1/16/19 9:25 p.m.

I'm not opposed to a 4bt. But everyone one I've seen is going for 3-5k for just the engines. For that I could pickup a whole Cummins 6bt truck.  

I could slide the engine forward under the cab.  But I'm worried it would be too loud in the cab.  

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/17/19 10:25 a.m.

I'm jealous. Jeep FCs are the best. The local Jeep dealer had an FC that was converted to a dually with a wrecker body on the back that they used as their tow truck into the 2000s, before they went out of business during the great recession. They also used to have a Jeepster and a normal FC parked in the showroom.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/17/19 11:52 a.m.
NickD said:

I'm jealous. Jeep FCs are the best. The local Jeep dealer had an FC that was converted to a dually with a wrecker body on the back that they used as their tow truck into the 2000s, before they went out of business during the great recession. They also used to have a Jeepster and a normal FC parked in the showroom.

They also look great on top of a C5 vette powertrain. I saw this at the Goodguys car show a few years back doing the autocross course, it was amazing

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/19 12:18 p.m.

My girlfriend's grandpa has three FCs parked on his property in CA in varying states of decay. Allegedly one has a 289 in it. Either way, they're super cool rigs. I like your idea of putting one on F350 running gear. 

mannydantyla
mannydantyla New Reader
1/18/19 9:30 a.m.

Very awesome

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/19 10:56 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

It would have been better If I had never seen that, now I have ideas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wH2myosYmS9VAB6IC0lupXabxwqTlozURYCDCQHOnflntMwyAAlTVLCkHOBr5RDY