1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/6/17 7:07 a.m.

I would have preferred a stock example, but finding a stock rust-free blue early WRX in Ohio area became impossible. So I went with modified by a local reputable shop: 

Wanted $6500, talked him into $6k and then when he couldn't find the stock springs he said he had he dropped it to $5900, without me even asking. But I wasn't going to turn him down. Big top mount intercooler, K&N intake, Turbo-back exhaust, Blouch 16G turbo, ACT 4 puck clutch, FIC1000cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Torque Solutions rear trans mount, Grimmspeed boost controller... I dislike the wingless trunk. I'm going to see if any local dude-bros want to trade for a wing, trunkless seems to be a style thing. I'd prefer even the stock spoiler. Looks too sedate. And with that giant carbon fiber hood scoop it screams for a giant wing! #boyracer And I'm getting used to the clutch.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
3/6/17 7:18 a.m.

Nice! Is this going to be a rallycrosser, autocrosser, trackday, or a do it all?

Planning on raising it back to stock height?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/6/17 7:27 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I dislike the wingless trunk. I'm going to see if any local dude-bros want to trade for a wing, trunkless seems to be a style thing. I'd prefer even the stock spoiler. Looks too sedate. And with that giant carbon fiber hood scoop it screams for a giant wing! #boyracer

You will have zero issues making this happen. You can probably even get some cash included in the deal.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/17 7:43 a.m.

Nice!

I bought a new WRX in 2004. I would have loved to have a wingless trunk, but the only way to get the sunroof was to buy the Premium Package that bundled it in with the rear spoiler. I even wrote to a friend who worked for Subaru of America and asked if I could special order a car without the spoiler. Nope, but she sent me some cool swag though.

If I recall correctly, those wheels that you have were a $3500 option when new.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/6/17 7:47 a.m.

But does it make cool turbo noises?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/17 7:54 a.m.

Hooray for jerry.

X2 on your opinion of wingless, your car is nude.

doctorscholls
doctorscholls New Reader
3/6/17 8:08 a.m.
Woody wrote: Nice! I bought a new WRX in 2004. I would have loved to have a wingless trunk, but the only way to get the sunroof was to buy the Premium Package that bundled it in with the rear spoiler. I even wrote to a friend who worked for Subaru of America and asked if I could special order a car without the spoiler. Nope, but she sent me some cool swag though. If I recall correctly, those wheels that you have were a $3500 option when new.

Aren't those just OEM 2004 STI wheels? Still worth a pretty penny in the used market...

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
3/6/17 8:18 a.m.

What about something subtle like the WRX Limited lip spoiler?. When I bought my 07 WRX TR it came wingless so that's what I went with.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/17 8:23 a.m.

NO!

NO!

OK

YES

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/6/17 8:27 a.m.

So, looking at the other cars in your driveway, do you now call this WRX your Big Car?

Looks nice!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/17 8:30 a.m.
doctorscholls wrote:
Woody wrote: Nice! I bought a new WRX in 2004. I would have loved to have a wingless trunk, but the only way to get the sunroof was to buy the Premium Package that bundled it in with the rear spoiler. I even wrote to a friend who worked for Subaru of America and asked if I could special order a car without the spoiler. Nope, but she sent me some cool swag though. If I recall correctly, those wheels that you have were a $3500 option when new.
Aren't those just OEM 2004 STI wheels? Still worth a pretty penny in the used market...

My mistake. There was either a BBS or Prodive option for $3500 back then.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/6/17 8:46 a.m.

Disagree on wingless trunk. Less cop-bait, in my opinion, but to each his own, as the old man used to say!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/6/17 8:48 a.m.

The CF scoop will net a stock one plus cash easily too!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/6/17 9:07 a.m.

I'd stick with the wingless look myself, but I see your point that the ginormous CF scoop on the front already does in the sleeper look somewhat. That will be a fun car.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/6/17 9:18 a.m.

I'm already thinking about going back to stock height somehow. I didn't look at it for a few weeks because of the Eibach springs but in person it didn't seem too Stanced.

Those are in fact 17" STI wheels, and debating what to do about them. I need snow's...do I buy 17" snow tires? Or trade off the 2.5RS's 16" wheels with new snows already on them? I'm guessing these are lighter, and already know they clear the calipers.

(And Photobucket is taking forever, I'm assuming you see the photos.)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/17 9:36 a.m.

I like yours but I've always wanted one with a front mount intercooler so I could go with no wing and no scoop

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
3/6/17 9:53 a.m.

Seems like a good purchase.

5x100 04 STI wheels are worth quite a bit on the used market (at least locally), you can probably finance the purchase of fancy wheels with them.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/6/17 10:00 a.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

Hmmm.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/6/17 10:06 a.m.
Stampie wrote: I like yours but I've always wanted one with a front mount intercooler so I could go with no wing and no scoop

Turbo lag!

Buddy of mine has a hopped up STi that he put a custom air-to-water intercooler into. Best of both worlds. And yes, he did remove the hood scoop.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/17 10:48 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I'm already thinking about going back to stock height somehow. I didn't look at it for a few weeks because of the Eibach springs but in person it didn't seem too Stanced. Those are in fact 17" STI wheels, and debating what to do about them. I need snow's...do I buy 17" snow tires? Or trade off the 2.5RS's 16" wheels with new snows already on them? I'm guessing these are lighter, and already know they clear the calipers. (And Photobucket is taking forever, I'm assuming you see the photos.)

Why not just put the 2.5rs wheels on it if they already have new snows?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/6/17 10:58 a.m.

There's a couple of options out there for scoop deletes if you wanted to get rid of that big one. Smooth hood with a small wing would look pretty good and not attract a ton of attention.

Or paint the scoop. That helps a lot too.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/6/17 12:29 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

That's my leading option. I posted a photo on Instagram and not 20 minutes later I had someone local asking to buy the wheels with stock wheels plus cash on his end. Is this my new life?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
3/6/17 12:40 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to ssswitch: Hmmm.

Because what's better than one car with white wheels that get dirty within minutes of being cleaned? Two cars cars with white wheels...

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/6/17 5:53 p.m.
ssswitch wrote: Seems like a good purchase. 5x100 04 STI wheels are worth quite a bit on the used market (at least locally), you can probably finance the purchase of fancy wheels with them.

Any idea of how much? Someone's already offered stock WRX wheels and "a couple hundred dollars".

Hal
Hal UltraDork
3/6/17 7:01 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to ssswitch: Hmmm.

I approve!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ws9Rh9RHNOZLxVD26lCK1euyaQIp0exzKPWRQS5wgtF9tHVkGxT0BHeOwQiAT95c