1 2 3 4 ... 15
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/8/14 7:47 p.m.
psteav wrote: I am proud to be part of the inspiration for this nonsense. Where's that MJ-eating-popcorn gif when I need it?

Yep, totally your fault.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/8/14 7:53 p.m.

I want to add my support for trolling motor control... and since you don't have reverse, best to actually have it functional in the beginning else getting it pointed right in a current will be oodles of fun.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/9/14 7:44 a.m.

That is nuts! I love the idea of the fake outboard on it.

Toyman01
9/11/14 7:43 p.m.

Finally, it dried out enough to get something done.

Back off the trailer and flipped, while my eldest was around to help. I pulled a string down the center of the hull and made sure the drive was centered and straight. My eye was off 1/4".

Then it was time to get out the grinder and sanders and remove all the paint and get the bottom down to good glass. I remember why I don't particularly like fiberglass.

It's done and the first coat of fairing compound applied. This will fill the cracks and sharp crevices and give the cloth a nice smooth surface to lay on. The compound is made out of epoxy and wood flour (saw dust).

I've got at least one more layer of fairing to do and then comes the cloth. The bottom isn't going to get a super thick layer of cloth, probably two layers of 6 oz tape. Most of the structural glass work will be on the interior of the hull.

More to come.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/12/14 6:00 a.m.

Can you explain the 6oz tape? I hadn't heard of this before.

Toyman01
9/12/14 6:55 a.m.

Rather than being a cloth, sold by the yard that I have to cut into strips, it's a tape that is 4" wide and comes as a roll. It's easier to work with. The 6 oz is the weight per sq yard of cloth.

The interior will be glassed with 24 oz cloth, for strength. I have that cloth left over from a previous project. It's going to have to be cut, I'm not looking forward to it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/12/14 7:24 a.m.

Is ot similar to drywall tape?

How about self adhesive?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/12/14 7:26 a.m.

I freakin' love this. You need a GoPro for the first run. I can loan you one if you don't have access. Seriously.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/12/14 7:57 a.m.

Fun project to watch.

One question- that rib that runs down the middle of the hull- do you intend to run it longer into the pump intake, or shorten it toward the middle of the boat?

I'm also curious to see if you add any re-enforcement to the hull, since you are moving the stress of motion from the back of the boat to the bottom. The transom uses the sides to help distribute the load of moving forward.

Makes me wonder if a carefully designed seat would help transfer that load to more than just the hull.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
9/12/14 8:01 a.m.

1) attach wings 2) fly 3) film it. 4) ... 5) profit?

Ghooble
Ghooble New Reader
9/12/14 8:56 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: nice rx7!

Lol you can count on Fidelity to pick out an RX7 in the back of a boat thread.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/12/14 9:41 a.m.

Can't stop reading this thread.

Toyman01
9/12/14 11:26 a.m.

GPS, The GoPro will be mounted. I'll probably have the wife on shore with a camera as well. Video will be forthcoming.

Alfadriver, the rib will be tapered into the hull about 24" in front of the pump intake. That will give the water a chance to settle down before the pump. The bottom of the hull is about 1/4" thick and should withstand the loads since they are spread about 4' up the center of the hull. However, the rear seat will be rebuilt and will be structural. I'm more concerned about pounding loads from waves flexing the bottom at the joint, causing cracking, than I am thrust loads. It will all get tied together to spread those loads back to the sides of the boat.

Toyman01
9/12/14 3:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Is ot similar to drywall tape? How about self adhesive?

Missed this one earlier.

Not really like drywall tape, not self adhesive.

It's like cloth, but course woven like burlap and made out of fiberglass strands.

The adhesive is either polyester resin or epoxy resin. I'm using epoxy, more expensive but easier to work with and waterproof.

Obnoxio
Obnoxio New Reader
9/14/14 12:20 p.m.

This thread has got me eyeballing boats in peoples back yards now. I live in eastern NC close to the ocean, so decrepit boats and jet skis are numerous. With the amount of driving I do for work and all the back country roads, its pretty much inevitable I will find what I need.

Following with interest.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
9/14/14 1:05 p.m.

I'm enjoying this.

Toyman01
9/14/14 1:45 p.m.

The weather has not been cooperating, we have been getting rain every day. I have managed to make some forward progress.

Several layers of glass cloth, fairing compound, and epoxy and I'm calling the bottom done, other than paint.

I won't call it perfect, but it's good enough.

It blended in with the bottom of the hull better than I was afraid it would.

I'm debating now on whether I should paint it now or flip it and finish the glass work. I'm leaning toward getting the glass done and seeing if the it works, before I put a lot of effort in making it look pretty.

More to come.

Toyman01
9/14/14 3:44 p.m.

Apparently, may flies are fascinated by wet epoxy.

The final coat of epoxy looks like a fly trap.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
9/14/14 9:38 p.m.

This is going to be great. Can't wait to see it run.

Toyman01
9/16/14 4:34 p.m.

Rain, rain, go away...

Yesterday, nothing happened. We were in the midst of a frog choker by the time I got home from work.

Today, I got home and no rain, cloudy, but dryish. I sanded the bugs out of the epoxy and got out the paint. I at least wanted a coat of paint over the epoxy. I know it doesn't need it for waterproofing, but just to make me feel better. I got about a square foot painted and bam! Rain. It's still raining.

So I assembled the pump. Not accomplishing anything is killing me. I want this thing in the water for testing at least.

Pictures for anyone that's interested.

Shaft, impeller and stater bearing.

The above slides into the pump housing and wear ring. The wear ring, is the housing the impeller rides in. I didn't remove it when I pulled the pump apart.

Next is the nozzle and steering nozzle.

All bolted together it looks like this. The small hose on the right is cooling water going to the engine, the fat hose is a auto bailer. High velocity water blows past a venturi causing a suction that draws water out of the bottom of the boat.

After that, the intake grate and ride plate go on and cover everything up.

Don't stick your hand here when running. Pretty sure that impeller turns about 6K rpms at full song.

Toyman01
9/16/14 4:35 p.m.

Yep, still raining.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/14 3:59 p.m.

I got the bottom painted, got it flipped right side up and back on the trailer. Naturally it started thundering and lightning.

There are no drains in the hull anymore, so leaving it outside in the rain is out. Enough shuffling and it's wedged in the shop for now.

The transom is going to look pretty neat, once it's cleaned up and painted, with the cut out and the nozzle sticking out just a little.

Toyman01
9/17/14 4:03 p.m.

You know starting with a 12' X 16' workshop, I really thought a 25' X 25' shop was plenty big enough.

I'm ready to move up to a 100' X 100' now.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/17/14 4:10 p.m.

I had my doubts about this working when it was initially mentioned, but I no longer do.

Toyman01
9/17/14 4:24 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I had my doubts about this working when it was initially mentioned, but I no longer do.

That's good, I'm still having doubts.

1 2 3 4 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LspgxQjEB02FyMFwTaIpiWNaVvPGHF3Ki9Ah2rczt7BWZlq1gAAQh7fKC1PMFJJI