1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/11/19 6:27 p.m.

Got the engine back in today. Went much easier than I expected. I only spent about 3.5 hours on it, and got everything connected except the coolant lines and the exhaust. I need to bleed the clutch and it’s easier to do if I do it with the exhaust out. Should be able to finish up tomorrow. 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/12/19 11:22 a.m.

Slower progress this morning! I attached the radiator hoses to the front of the engine. It’s a pain because there isn’t any room to work and they have to be attached in a specific order and orientation or they won’t go in. But everything that is left to finish up should be easier. (I probably just jinxed myself!)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/19 5:02 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

I’m so glad it wasn’t a major failure!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/12/19 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Thanks! Me too! I’m not 100% sure I have it licked because I always had decent pressure when cold, but that had to be the problem. I will know for sure tomorrow when I can run it up to temperature.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/13/19 5:52 p.m.

It’s alive again! 

Got it started today, no leaks and great oil pressure at start up. Didn’t let it run up to temperature because I still need to add coolant and burp the system, but I have 50% better cold oil pressure. If it doesn’t go away when warm, I’ll be happy!

Probably won’t make the Power Tour stop tomorrow, just too far to go on the first drive after it’s been apart, but there is a good local show that I’ll try to make.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
6/14/19 9:51 p.m.

I spoke too soon! My oil pressure went away as soon as the engine got warm.  Engine has to come out again! Grrrr!

Made it to a car show anyway. It’s running well with no ugly noises, so I have some pressure, but not enough to be satisfied. 

Photo from the show.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/19 9:53 p.m.

Next time you get out there say hi to frank and cookie for me.  Sucks the engine isn’t right.  

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
7/26/19 5:34 p.m.

Well.... the bad news is that there was “debris” in the engine that damaged just about everything! I guess that’s what you get when you buy an engine block for $100! My fault for not getting it clean enough.

Needs a complete rebuild, or a different motor. I’m looking into my options, but I’m chomping at the bit to get it back on the road!

Pete Gossett
7/26/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

That really sucks. :(

However, if you’re frustrated, at your wits-end and just ready to dump it, let me know when I can come by and pick it up! :-p

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
7/26/19 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I couldn’t do that to you! I’ll bite the bullet and soldier on!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/26/19 6:32 p.m.

Just got the engine back from the builder! He finished it exactly when promised! I touched up the paint today, will start putting it back in tomorrow.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/27/19 5:21 p.m.

Harmonic balancer, flywheel, clutch and transaxle reattached. Ready to go back in tomorrow!

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
8/27/19 6:19 p.m.

This car really does it for me. So much cool

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/28/19 1:41 p.m.

Engine and trans are back in !! Only thing left to do is everything else!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/28/19 2:54 p.m.

I may have missed it somewhere but what adapter setup are you using for the trans?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
8/28/19 4:47 p.m.

This is awesome, missed it before.  Oh the irony of a Lotus Europa project where the final thing preventing you from driving it everywhere is an issue with the LS motor indecision

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/28/19 4:49 p.m.

The adapter came from Kennedy Engineering. It includes the 1.75” piece of aluminum that you can see, and a pretty trick flywheel that has the Chevy flex plate for the starter gears and a setback surface that extends into the Porsche bellhousing to accept the Boxster clutch. Also includes the proper Porsche pilot bearing. 

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/28/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

The irony isn’t lost on me! I set out to build a more reliable Lotus by avoiding Lotus parts and I’ve struggled with what I thought was the most reliable bit! Hopefully that is all behind me and my plan will come together.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
8/30/19 2:37 p.m.

Almost there!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/5/19 8:10 p.m.

It’s ALIVE!! ......again.

Pete Gossett
9/5/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

Awesome!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
9/6/19 2:37 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcHcfFsdmN8

Does your Europa sound like this?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/6/19 3:35 p.m.

Like I mentioned before, intersection of Thrilling St and Terrifying Ave.

Pete

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/6/19 5:04 p.m.

Does your Europa sound like this?

95% of Europas don't run so for it to sound this good is amazing. Wicked car for sure!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
9/6/19 7:26 p.m.

This Zetec-powered Europa by RoddyMac ran and moved in May 2018 so I believe he wins the coveted First-Person-To-Make-A-Europa-Project-Car-Start-&-Run Award. Having said that, I can't wait til you get this beast sorted.  It will replace "repeating the same thing and expecting different results" as the definition of insanity.  Good luck with your insurance company.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpruC9Hmktin4CAGLKMa5IUl4EVben3GmdI4Cna41nfavRdgUAfmeXXHuq9KZ6yL