1 2
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/2/13 4:56 p.m.

...this follows me home.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/2/13 5:53 p.m.

I was going to hunt for the thread tonight, I just got my tax return. You just saved me from a night in the doghouse sir.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/13 6:55 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just what you needed!!!

I want to drive it when you get it done.

As a matter of fact, call me and I'll come help you build it.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/2/13 8:11 p.m.

Is that what I think it is?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/2/13 8:13 p.m.

I suppose that depends on what you think it is. To me it looks like a big pile of Pick Up Sticks at the moment.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
2/2/13 8:26 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Is that what I think it is?

If you're thinking that it's a Miata that has been completely stripped, and had a tube-frame built around what was no longer there, you may be correct in what you think it is...

But probably not. Long live Berzerkely, in whatever form it may return... In some form... Or another....

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/2/13 8:26 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I hope your plans for that are similar to plans I was hatching.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/2/13 8:36 p.m.

I'd like to do some hillclimbs and for that you need a good bit of HP. I am not a fan of front wheel drive, either.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/2/13 8:37 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I suppose that depends on what you think it is. To me it looks like a big pile of Pick Up Sticks at the moment.

I thought it was the most feared GRM project car ever, and it appears I may have been correct.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/2/13 8:39 p.m.

It did leave a lot of scared people in its wake. I hope to tame the beast.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/13 7:46 a.m.

I think that diff would be a bit weak for what I have in mind.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/3/13 8:27 a.m.

That needs a big bike engine in the back. I mean HUGE bike engine, nothing south of a liter and 150hp.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/13 8:52 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Am I that transparent?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
2/3/13 10:06 a.m.

Berzerkelybusa? TURBO!

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/3/13 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Transparent? No. That is the only logical choice in this situation. Also, DO IT!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/13 12:06 p.m.

It needs to be a compact high revving powerplant and I have not written off using a late 4 stroke snowmobile engine although a liter sportbike engine is currently leading the parade, I lean toward the R1 Yamaha due to its oil pan configuration. SeaDoo's supercharged Rotax engine is a very outside possibility but there's a lot of problems with a transmission.

At one point, a rotary turned sideways with a snowmobile type torque converter was under consideration. Yes, I has dain bramage. That would be big $$$ because AFAIK no one has ever tried that, meaning everything would have to be custom made.

I'm not overly enthusiastic about a turbocharged setup due to turbo lag. I can just see myself wailing on the throttle in a turn at a hillclimb, then have my old man reflexes trying to catch the thing when the turbo decides to spool up.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/13 12:15 p.m.

Yay you saved me from emotional turmoil! Thank you!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
2/3/13 2:40 p.m.

A low boost setup on a high comp bike engine won't be laggy with a correctly sized turbo.A litre bike engine geared down to hill climb speeds won't have any trouble pushing that up a hill briskly even without the snail.

Toyman01
2/3/13 2:50 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: At one point, a rotary turned sideways with a snowmobile type torque converter was under consideration. Yes, I has dain bramage. That would be big $$$ because AFAIK no one has ever tried that, meaning everything would have to be custom made.

You know, I know a guy with a mill and a lathe...

Steal the chain and pulleys out of a Ford CVT...

Hmmm...

Toyman01
2/3/13 2:56 p.m.

Or maybe out of a Nissan.

That ought to handle the HP and with the right case around it it wouldn't eat belts like a Comet setup does.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/13 4:34 p.m.

Awesome. I am delighted that the Berzerekely has gone to someone who will continue to create stories with it and tell them on the forum...

Looking forward to the build!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/13 6:08 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Or maybe out of a Nissan. That ought to handle the HP and with the right case around it it wouldn't eat belts like a Comet setup does.

You do realize 1) those are both the same JATCO transmission 2) it's electronically controlled via PWM solenoids 3) the fluid is like $65-90/gallon depending on where you find it 4) it has a pretty high failure rate? I'm thinking someone else will have to R&D that.

Gates Polychain can be had tough enough to handle the HP but the belt is damn near $300 before I even touch custom sprockets. There's a proprietary tooth shape which gives it the HP capability meaning they would have to make the sprockets and I see my budget going up in smoke quickly.

I keep leaning toward a duplex chain. Martin Gear makes tandem sprockets, I am thinking get a blank, have it broached to fit the output on the gearbox, then machine the ring gear flange on the diff so I can bolt a spocket on either side. Not really as easy as I make it sound, but probably a LOT easier/cheaper than the CVT.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
2/4/13 9:18 a.m.

The poly chain might not like standing starts with slicks,f500 guys run poly for road race but switch to chain for autox.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop New Reader
2/4/13 9:33 a.m.

My GF would have a heart attack if she came home and found that sitting in the screen porch.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/4/13 9:36 a.m.

What about using a bike driveshaft setup to a small diff like they use on 4x4 ATVs?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g7MsfkX7mEtbXgdpkbFJItA3L4LLiXZ0wIwaWJ0p9S5tZVq8Rdy0ZWFYTYRf1kiy