1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/20/18 6:32 a.m.

Has this whole thread been in real time?  If so I’m even more impressed than I have been up until now. In reality for me this would have been a several year project not a two month one. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/20/18 11:23 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Has this whole thread been in real time?  If so I’m even more impressed than I have been up until now. In reality for me this would have been a several year project not a two month one. 

Yes it has, day by day. 

Duder
Duder New Reader
12/20/18 1:50 p.m.

Glad the history trivia was of interest.

I was digging through a stack of old car brochures the other day and found this gem. Enjoy!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/27/18 7:43 p.m.

To catch up for the last week. 

I've been collecting audio equipment and rounding up all of the small ancillary items to do the install.

And just driving the truck around to break the engine in. The carburetor seems to be a bit bipolar and that's wearing on me. Each day seems to warrant a slight adjustment in idle mixture and speed. I'll get it figured out or I'll do an damn EFI swap and punt the carburetor over the back fence.

I am kind of considering removing a bunch of little parts out of the engine compartment and having them re-zinc plated. The wiper motor plate and those hard lines across the firewall look shabby. 

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/27/18 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

If I'm not mistaken the wheels in the C10 stepside are Centerline's Hatchets. Buddy of mine had them on his S10. The Centerlines on the sportside were Starsomething I thik I'm loving this thread, I grew up in the 80's 90's and drove a lowered S10 after high school in 97.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/28/18 6:40 a.m.

That stereo equipment looks a little dated, I hope you test fired it before a final commitment.

Fired, that's punny.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/28/18 6:47 a.m.
akylekoz said:

That stereo equipment looks a little dated, I hope you test fired it before a final commitment.

Fired, that's punny.

I haven’t, but I am going to. I had to order RCA cables. They’re due delivery today. I’ll get it all powered up and tested before I commit to anything or drill any holes. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/18 7:46 a.m.

And just driving the truck around to break the engine in. The carburetor seems to be a bit bipolar and that's wearing on me. Each day seems to warrant a slight adjustment in idle mixture and speed. I'll get it figured out or I'll do an damn EFI swap and punt the carburetor over the back fence.

Does the change in behavior seem to happen after warm start-ups or only when idling? I used to get all sorts of issues with my carb until I put a phenolic spacer between it and the manifold. It would always start cold just fine, but idling after fully warming up, especially after letting it sit for long enough to heat soak the carb, it would just act "un-tunable". The spacer was night and day for drivability. This was a SBC, but with your exhaust and intake on the same side of the head, it might be worth looking into.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/29/18 4:49 p.m.

I'm tired. I hate this kind of work. Almost finished with the sound deadening and sound system wiring.

Carpet tomorrow hopefully.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
12/29/18 6:51 p.m.

That's a Weber DGV, isn't it?

I've had a few of the Holly-Weber 5200's, common to all 80's cars that never really ran right (Pinto, Vega, Omni, etc).

Playing with the air bleeds above the emulsion tubes made a world of difference.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/30/18 6:58 a.m.

The truck does have a Weber DGV carb on it. I think I'm getting it closer to where it should be. Just the same, if I run across one of these truck in the junkyards with the EFI system, I will be pulling it.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/30/18 2:27 p.m.

The carpet was beyond saving. No amount of pressure washing would remove the smell.

So I threw insulation and a new RockAuto bargain carpet in. The final result is meh at best. I'm no carpet artisan.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/30/18 2:44 p.m.
LonH said:

If I'm not mistaken the wheels in the C10 stepside are Centerline's Hatchets. Buddy of mine had them on his S10. The Centerlines on the sportside were Starsomething I thik I'm loving this thread, I grew up in the 80's 90's and drove a lowered S10 after high school in 97.

Hatchets. That's it. Your memory is better than mine. They came from a local place called Super Shops. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/30/18 2:46 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Does the change in behavior seem to happen after warm start-ups or only when idling? I used to get all sorts of issues with my carb until I put a phenolic spacer between it and the manifold. It would always start cold just fine, but idling after fully warming up, especially after letting it sit for long enough to heat soak the carb, it would just act "un-tunable". The spacer was night and day for drivability. This was a SBC, but with your exhaust and intake on the same side of the head, it might be worth looking into.

It seems to be stabilizing the more I drive it. I have just gotten spoiled by fuel injection I guess.

LonH
LonH New Reader
12/30/18 10:57 p.m.

I am a wheel nerd, and was obsessed with Centerlines. Also a tire nerd, and can spout off the tire sizes of most of most of my rides. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/5/19 5:42 a.m.

Tiny update. 

I bought new tail light lenses off of eBay recently when they had the 15% off day.

Hecho in Tiawan.

No more cracks !

I did coat he new lenses with UV protectant spray in hopes that they endure the Texas sun as long as possible.

Mainly, I have been fussing with my Miata.

More truck updates soon. I have a cool truck project in mind for today.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/5/19 6:47 a.m.

In the carpet pictures there is the molded black stuff in front and the the stick on shiny stuff in back. Is the molded black part the factory piece? 

The more I tear apart car interiors the more I'm convinced that the molded rubber pieces with a nice thick fuzzy backing are the real key. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/5/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Yes. The front half of the truck still has the molded rubber/jute factory insulation. It was there. It fit well, It was in good shape. The engineers know more han I do. I just left it alone.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
1/5/19 7:37 a.m.

Seeing that picture of washing your Miata outside in January makes me really hate living in Pennsylvania.  And it’s been a really mild winter here so far. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/5/19 3:35 p.m.

So, today was fun. It's 70 degrees here today so I opened up the shop and worked outside under the carport.

What you see here is a pair of OEM Mazda window channels, a set of new door locks, and a can of SEM trim black paint.

The paint on the upper door frames was toast. It was worn off to the factory primer beneath.

Plus the window run channels were shrunk and wasted and causing the windows to be difficult to roll up and down.

While I had the paint supplies out I went ahead and removed the B pillar trim panels and repainted them too.

Not pictured, but I installed the new locksets in the doors so the entire truck is now equipped with 100% new locks throughout.  The windows wind up and down with ease now too. 

It's beat up as heck, but I sure like the little truck. I know it sure gets mad attention when I drive it through town.

If you do Instagram, I'd dig having you as a friend over there.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/5/19 3:44 p.m.
Scottah said:

Seeing that picture of washing your Miata outside in January makes me really hate living in Pennsylvania.  And it’s been a really mild winter here so far. 

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I do not know how you fellows up in the salt states handle being a car guy. I have never been in a situation where one of my cars deteoriates. It would kill my soul to be in a constant race against the rust monster to try and keep my stuff in good shape. I'd just have to take up a different passion like model trains or something. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
1/5/19 5:56 p.m.

Definitely following you on Instagram. Great work on the truck. The blend of new/redone with the patina of the original is almost perfect. The small imperfections give it an honest character. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
1/5/19 6:00 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

I am so flattered by your signature. Thank you.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/5/19 6:17 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:
Scottah said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I do not know how you fellows up in the salt states handle being a car guy. I have never been in a situation where one of my cars deteoriates. It would kill my soul to be in a constant race against the rust monster to try and keep my stuff in good shape. I'd just have to take up a different passion like model trains or something. 

There are perks of being in the North, engines transmission and other parts that can’t be consumed by rust are cheap and plentiful. 

Awesome job on the truck, I’m not on instaface but if I were I’d follow you in a totally not creepy way.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/5/19 7:45 p.m.

I, on the other hand, would bring creepy to a whole new level.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FhJEaDPPWVodzN8nG16cpzHg3Yo7yzwqtDndCg1gdk9xhZudPeZqvkrhFmMRUple