1 2 3 4 ... 6
Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/11/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Not sure which engine it was, i think it was the available transmissions that kept breaking. Hillclimb in New England puts cars through things very few other motorsports do. Very rough and Very steep. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/11/19 12:20 p.m.

Rear suspension detail.  Uses standard stock car size rotors on a custom flange and wheel spacer. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/11/19 12:24 p.m.

Hole in the floor where the seat goes.  Your butt is right above the drive shaft to the rear.  Radiator is horizontal behind driver.  Air is ducted in the side scoops and under the radiator, then up and out. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/11/19 12:39 p.m.

Front suspension.  I think the rocker arm assembly is a candidate for weight reduction in the future. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/16/19 10:11 a.m.

Video from Mt Washington in 2014 of the superchicken doing a flyby.  

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/16/19 10:12 a.m.

Full run up Mt. Washington.  This run is almost a minute faster than I did it in my modified in 2017.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/16/19 11:00 a.m.

That front suspension rocker is brilliant. The way you launch and land makes me think it is the last place to remove weight though. It is only 50% unsprung too.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/16/19 11:03 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I wish I could take credit for it.  Paul (the original owner/ builder) is quite the wizard with innovative and functional designs. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/16/19 11:30 a.m.
Challenger392 said:

Quality inspector checking out the work. 

Heard of magnafluxing an engine block, but catscaning seems a bit much.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/16/19 11:38 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The cat is trying to find the "Chicken" I keep talking about. 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
2/17/19 6:44 p.m.

I just watched the video of the 2014 run up the mountain.  That car looks terrifying and I'm glad you're bringing it back to life!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/19/19 2:30 p.m.

Fun fact.  Those paddles are NOT for shifting gears.  Each is an independent master cylinder to each corresponding front wheel.  You read that right.  The normal brake pedal also actuates both front calipers.  I don't think it got a whole lot of use but still crazy and cool. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/21/19 4:34 p.m.

Perfectly good center diff welded up solid.  Looking for as much straight line stability as possible, since the wheelbase is only 98.5"

Rabbit Farmer
Rabbit Farmer New Reader
2/22/19 10:40 p.m.

Going to be ready for Philo?

Steve

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/23/19 5:29 a.m.

In reply to Rabbit Farmer :

In a perfect world yes.  In reality.....don't hold your breath. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/19 8:05 a.m.
NOHOME said:
Challenger392 said:

Quality inspector checking out the work. 

Heard of magnafluxing an engine block, but catscaning seems a bit much.

The results are not as good as one would think. They do get into everything, but they fail to communicate at least 50% of what they see needing additional work...or I have a defective unit...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
2/23/19 12:06 p.m.

That run got a little intense!

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/23/19 3:24 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

That run got a little intense!

Mt. Washington is nothing but intense.  Video doesn't do it justice.  Even the guys that came out from Pikes Peak thought it was crazy.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/23/19 4:03 p.m.

Ordered some tires for the Chicken this morning!!! Found Hankook Ventus Z214's for sale on Tire Rack for $173 a tire!!! Its a sweet deal on what should be an unbelievably sticky tire.  Tread wear is 40 laugh Luckily I will only be using them for 3 miles at a time. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/26/19 11:33 a.m.

New tires arrived today.  I thought yall might want to see a comparison. New tires on the left, tires I run on the Mod on the right.  They are exactly twice as wide. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/26/19 11:43 a.m.
Challenger392 said:

New flywheel.  This unit doesn't have a crank position ring on it so Paul is going to make one for me that goes on the balancer on the front of the engine.  Paul does some awesome machine work at his shop SuperCar Machine Shop

Very cool build. Or is it rebuild? I've got a bit of experience with the 2.7t engines what with four cars right now that run it and another three complete engines on the garage floor.

The question here is: Did you replace those flywheel bolts? Unfortunately, they're true stretch bolts and need to be replaced every time you pull the flywheel. And the torque spec is "Really berkeleyin' Tight". Something like 60ft-lbs and then half a turn. They aren't expensive but when they break, it is.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/26/19 12:02 p.m.

I've pulled one of those suspension uprights out of the woods before. Heavier than you think, but also was able to be reused after separation. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/28/19 11:00 a.m.
rdcyclist said:
Challenger392 said:

New flywheel.  This unit doesn't have a crank position ring on it so Paul is going to make one for me that goes on the balancer on the front of the engine.  Paul does some awesome machine work at his shop SuperCar Machine Shop

Very cool build. Or is it rebuild? I've got a bit of experience with the 2.7t engines what with four cars right now that run it and another three complete engines on the garage floor.

The question here is: Did you replace those flywheel bolts? Unfortunately, they're true stretch bolts and need to be replaced every time you pull the flywheel. And the torque spec is "Really berkeleyin' Tight". Something like 60ft-lbs and then half a turn. They aren't expensive but when they break, it is.

Its the rebuild. The car was built around the year 2K, and been run off and on since then.  Good to know there are others on here with the 2.7T, I may need to pick your brain at some point for setup and tuning help.  What do you run for an ECU? Standalone, or a tuned stock ECU?  As for the flywheel bolts, they are not the original bolts.  Since I went from a dual mass flywheel to a much thinner single mass unit, the bolts are like 1/3 the length of the originals.  So as you can imagine I can't use the stock torque spec.  But they are blithering tight.  I wrote down the torque I used somewhere, I remember it being quite a bit. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/19 12:09 p.m.

Tuned stock ECU. Standalone is way too much audience participation for a street car and WAY too much moolah for a Challenge car.

If you decide to upgrade the coils to the newer FSI units, I machine adapters for them and I've got a source for the connectors. Most higher end tunes run them.

You'll see really big gains with bigger and more efficient intercoolers, especially with the turbo upgrade. E85 is another source of big power gains. You'll need to tune for any and all of these upgrades but consider: Stock build with a stage 1 tune is about 200-240 horsies at the wheels. Stage 2, intercoolers, intake and exhaust will give about 300 at the wheels. A good stage 3 with moderate turbos, intercoolers, big ass exhaust and intake, E85 will generate about 450 of them ponies at the wheels. Most serious stage 3 builds require aftermarket rods.

On the flywheel bolts, I'm always ready for one to break when I'm approaching full torque. Hasn't happened but if it does, it'll be spectacular.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
3/1/19 6:20 a.m.

I was planning on running the 4 pin coils that come off of the V8 cars from that era, I think they are a direct bolt on item.  The car already has an upgraded intercooler setup over the stock one, so that should not be a problem.  I have heard that the 2.8L N/A heads and cams flow better than the 2.7 heads.  I plan on taking a look in the local junk yard to see if I can find a useful set.  I would like to run E85 as it is cheap power.  Only problem is that here in Vermont the closest station is 5 hours away in NY.  Not terribly convenient.  I would have to get a 55 gallon drum or two and make a yearly trip to stock up.  As far as exhaust goes I have almost NO restriction.  The exhaust will be about 24" long after the turbos, with the only real muffling device being the turbo.  My eventual power target is about 450WHP, but I may start breaking transmissions at that point.  

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kV2LLGrQgUf04IC1fbFVtqaKXyuI1QE9y90foBy5NDqylS1bvTEw00qBZ7yW8jm6