carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/6/19 7:29 p.m.

I built this Isuzu pickup back in 2016. I used it as a daily for a few months. Now it's just used when I need to haul stuff. 1989 Isuzu spacecab chassis. 2000 aluminum block LS1 and 4L60E from a Camaro (bought the donor car for $1500). I was able to use the Isuzu front suspension and steering all stock, except I cut down the tensioner spring/chamber from the top of the idler arm to clear the AC compressor, which is still in the stock Chevy location. I made my own high mount alternator setup to clear the steering box. The truck has working AC, cruise, power steering, etc. It weighs 3300 lbs and the engine is rated at 340hp (hasn't been on a dyno). Dual exhaust with an H pipe. Isuzu disk brake (12 bolt) rear end with 4.10 gears (it's got a drop out 3rd member like a 9 inch). Big front brake rotors from a Trooper, 300ZX 4 piston aluminum calipers (required welding on the spindles). 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/6/19 7:31 p.m.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/6/19 7:34 p.m.

255/17 tires in the back, 235s up front. I will probably try some 285s rear when these wear out

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/6/19 7:40 p.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/6/19 8:07 p.m.

Well THAT'S a hell of a NewReader post! Very nice!

Did all the Isuzus have that much rear overhang? 

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/6/19 8:33 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Well THAT'S a hell of a NewReader post! Very nice!

Did all the Isuzus have that much rear overhang? 

I described another build on GRM a few years ago, so I'm not really new. Now that you mention it, there is a lot of rear overhang. Maybe the back half of the bed is the same as the longbed trucks? While looking for a chassis, I'd have rather started with a regular cab, but this one had most everything else I wanted. But I must say the spacecab is nice for the extra room, if for no other reason than reclining my seat as much as I want.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/6/19 8:35 p.m.

That's what I thought looking at the bed. The spacecabs were an interesting thing.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/19 10:58 p.m.

YESSSSSS!!! Moar LS swapped minitrucks.

carwhisperer
carwhisperer New Reader
1/7/19 11:51 a.m.

Looks like you are putting a 4.8 in a 2nd gen D50? Is there a build thread? This is my 3rd V8 mini truck. First was a 302 in a Rotary Truck, then a 1987 EFI 5.0 Mustang motor/T5 in a 1st gen Mighty Max/D50 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/19 12:21 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer :

That's the simplest way to explain my project. I would love to get my hands on a REPU some day. Keep up the good work man yes

Frankentruck build thread I haven't done much of anything to the truck in awhile, life and house shopping are doing a good job of slowing me down.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/12/19 10:06 a.m.

I swear this hit my craigslist search a while back...

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/12/19 1:22 p.m.
84FSP said:

I swear this hit my craigslist search a while back...

Yes. I tried to betray it for a while, then I came to my senses and decided to keep it for now. Sure is nice to have a pickup truck around.

Honestbroker
Honestbroker
2/11/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to carwhisperer : You did a great job on your truck.  I'm in the midst of putting a 5.3L LS into my 91 Isuzu base cab and would like to pick your brain about how things worked with your project.  I have the motor and am still waiting for the tranny to get built.  My truck is original; I've owned it since new and it's in great shape (body and interior).  If you don't mind some questions, I'd appreciate help and advice.  Thanks.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yIr55BkQ7G5UuFf3BjbyhNPFzwTfQ6H3kTiep8FgHckqjhBEjlNOAfjdppIRFuZg