1 ... 12 13 14
Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/14/17 6:10 a.m.
DILYSI Dave said:

Question, as it's one I've considered for my own C5Kart - why did you decide to keep the vette chassis versus stripping it down to the roller skate and adding tubes, ala Exocet?

i reckon you could certainly just utilize the front and rear axle cradles and tube chassis inbetween - that would just a bigger job than my quickie strip and cage effort here. the A-pillar and trans tunnel are certainly were my weight is bc they are all structural elements. eliminating them by building your own tube chassis would be a massive weight savings. i am going for quick and cheap in this build, so reusing the C5's tub makes sense for me.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
11/14/17 7:50 a.m.

I thought bends in two planes were frowned apon on any roll cage A pillar?

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/14/17 3:57 p.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

I thought bends in two planes were frowned apon on any roll cage A pillar?

i havent heard or read that, but i will absolutely agree that anything bend out of the initial plane will be weaker. similarly anything deviating from a triangle will be weaker.   i am trying to compromise aesthetics, functionality and NASA/SCCA rules. Think ariel or excocet, aesthetics is somewhat important. i have to be able to get in and out and work on the thing. And, this will never be door-to-door raced, but the NASA CCR/SCCA GCR cage guidelines are fundamental.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/14/17 4:00 p.m.

got the lower door bars bend and tacked today. they attach 3" from the bottom of the front and main hoops. the bends come up and out -  the upper door bars will meet at the bend. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/15/17 8:27 a.m.

I like it. They dont flare out as far as the nylon template showed, which is a good thing in my book.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/17/17 4:00 p.m.

major progress late this week. presenting.... all major element complete!! lots of gusset bars to follow...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/17/17 4:02 p.m.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
11/17/17 5:42 p.m.

Lookin awesome!!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/18/17 7:29 a.m.
Lof8 said:

Lookin awesome!!

thanks!

short video walk around of LS1-KART

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
11/18/17 10:28 a.m.

All those curves make it look like a rock bouncer cage almost.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/18/17 3:53 p.m.

worked on gusset bars today.

in order of pics: got the forward hoop to main hoop bars done, maintaining the same rake angle as the rear braces. forward hoop to a-pillar and main hoop to rear frame. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/18/17 3:55 p.m.

defiantly going to do a set of bars connecting the upper to lower door bar and the frame. also looking for somewhere to up a handle for the passengers and i need to add grill bars to the bumper. otherwise, getting pretty close to turning it over to my buddy for welding!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/21/17 4:41 p.m.

all the gusset / brace bars are fitted! started on the grill today. goin simple.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
11/24/17 3:52 p.m.

anyone an LS1 injector expert? all of mine have a '36' scribed into them. stock flow rate is 28.... the PN indicates they are OE LS1 injectors. neverheard of anyone altering injectors for more flow, but 36 would be about what a cammed LS would like... i guess...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
12/6/17 11:43 a.m.

a friend of mine (and local autocrosser) has been TIG-ing away at the roll cage in his spare time for a week or so. He should wrap it up this week. Here is the first joint:

the understatement of the day is: 'its gonna be alot nicer than if i had done it with my MIG."

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
12/6/17 11:56 a.m.

once the kart is back to filling the void in my garage i will need to replace the B-pillar area i removed to re-box in the dual fuel tanks and tie the B-pillar to the roll cage/frame. i have some 20ga steel for that tasking. 

from there i will spray paint the cage (for now-considering the probability of slight changes is 100%). I bought stuff required to redneck-lizard skin (micro-bubble + latex paint) the floorpans and transmission tunnel. then will add grip tape to the floor pan.

other large task looming is suspension/brakes. i need to decide on rotor/pads. i already have SS brakes lines. leaning towards HP+ for pads, probably going to go cheap on the rotors.. PFADT makes a camber kit that consists of shims, drilled plates to replace the cam bolts and studs. i am going to try and cheap out for now, by putting the cam bolts in the max position, fashioning my own grade8 studs/bolts and using standard alignment shims. should save $350. i need to order lowering bolts for the front leaf spring. thats the extent of what i have planned for the suspension for now. 

just after that on teh priority list are hood, roof and truck bed like elements. nearly certain to be aluminum (race-car type) sheet, rivet and angle reinforced. 

WRT part out sales..... i really only have a passenger door, bumper wall fixture, tonneau cover and two boxes of misc trim, etc. i have netted just over $2500, total sales of more than $3250. i hope to scrape another $700 out of the remnants. 

Jax Solo released the 2018 schedule. first event is 4 feb. i have less than 2 months left to debut!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
12/7/17 9:08 a.m.

cage welding 100%. only front bumper / cone guard left!

1 ... 12 13 14
Our Preferred Partners
YqSdFoeqPArq2raVYsQH5Jt9SfJTShOv