1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/5/17 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Even though it isn't within challenge budget you need to put it on display at challenge in October!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/5/17 5:08 p.m.

Gville isn't too far away. I have autocrossed and drag raced there before. I may make it down, I doubt LS1-KART will be caged by then though... even to drive it down there, I def want a cage!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/5/17 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

You can use my truck and traler then.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/5/17 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

quite an offer!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/5/17 8:39 p.m.

Do you still have the AC compressor?

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/5/17 10:34 p.m.

Nicely done!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/6/17 12:01 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Do you still have the AC compressor?

yep. want it?

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/6/17 12:18 p.m.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/6/17 12:20 p.m.

I think the plan (priority is selling parts) with the car will be to make it run again. put it on the ground and see how it looks with tires/wheels. then, figure how much of the front and rear frame to remove. Also, need to start deleting unnecessary wiring.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/6/17 12:25 p.m.

been posting parts in batches. I have collected $830, subtract shipping costs from that. Spent some money too... ordered a be cool universal GM style 2-core aluminum radiator. Also steering column adapter, Q/D and steering wheel from NRG. those items were ordered first bc they are needed to drive again!! if I can sell the drivers seat, which I have local interest in, then I will be springing for seats/rails/etc. Thinking NRG again. I want 5/6 point harness capable seat, but its going to be outdoors so, it not going to be a high end. alternatively, high end seats would look awfully stupid in this contraption.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
8/7/17 7:32 a.m.

You need to make this awesome and document each and every step along the way. Even though this has been done before, all have been one-offs with little to no documentation. You have a rare opportunity here to create something in the same vein as Bruce Meyers did with the Manx. Take a cheap car and build an icon from it. That might sound pithy now but if you take your time and do it right, this could be big.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/7/17 9:29 a.m.
A 401 CJ wrote: You need to make this awesome and document each and every step along the way. Even though this has been done before, all have been one-offs with little to no documentation. You have a rare opportunity here to create something in the same vein as Bruce Meyers did with the Manx. Take a cheap car and build an icon from it. That might sound pithy now but if you take your time and do it right, this could be big.

believe you are the first to use the phrase 'icon' when describing whats going on in my garage. I intend to keep to it simple and document deviations from the C5 platform. 'preciate the feedback.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
8/7/17 12:20 p.m.
Go_Gators wrote:
A 401 CJ wrote: You need to make this awesome and document each and every step along the way. Even though this has been done before, all have been one-offs with little to no documentation. You have a rare opportunity here to create something in the same vein as Bruce Meyers did with the Manx. Take a cheap car and build an icon from it. That might sound pithy now but if you take your time and do it right, this could be big.

believe you are the first to use the phrase 'icon' when describing whats going on in my garage. I intend to keep to it simple and document deviations from the C5 platform. 'preciate the feedback.

Hold on a sec. I didn't use 'icon' to describe what's going on in your garage. I used it to describe where this has the potential to go if you play your cards right.

The iconic Manx was nothing more than a stripped down and shortened VW pan with a slick fiberglass body. But it could perform. Far better than much more expensive cars. Others had done the same thing. Nobody had ever put the whole package together and marketed it like Bruce though. I think a Vette Kart could be the same thing. Still streetable and legal but able to embarrass much higher cost cars. Build a really cool cage, a light package, and all the things to make it legal and sell that. Make it so that father and son can turn a clapped out C5 into a cool looking giant killer in a few weekends by following the plan.

Do it! There is potential here.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
8/7/17 1:05 p.m.

The Road Kill video where they pit their Corvette Kart against a Lingenfelter Vette is a good watch. The Kart that they built seems to be similar to the one that you're planning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/7/17 1:44 p.m.

...wish I read this earlier I have a NRG wheel I just took off of my mr2.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/7/17 3:16 p.m.
A 401 CJ wrote:
Go_Gators wrote:
A 401 CJ wrote: You need to make this awesome and document each and every step along the way. Even though this has been done before, all have been one-offs with little to no documentation. You have a rare opportunity here to create something in the same vein as Bruce Meyers did with the Manx. Take a cheap car and build an icon from it. That might sound pithy now but if you take your time and do it right, this could be big.

believe you are the first to use the phrase 'icon' when describing whats going on in my garage. I intend to keep to it simple and document deviations from the C5 platform. 'preciate the feedback.

Hold on a sec. I didn't use 'icon' to describe what's going on in your garage. I used it to describe where this has the potential to go if you play your cards right.

The iconic Manx was nothing more than a stripped down and shortened VW pan with a slick fiberglass body. But it could perform. Far better than much more expensive cars. Others had done the same thing. Nobody had ever put the whole package together and marketed it like Bruce though. I think a Vette Kart could be the same thing. Still streetable and legal but able to embarrass much higher cost cars. Build a really cool cage, a light package, and all the things to make it legal and sell that. Make it so that father and son can turn a clapped out C5 into a cool looking giant killer in a few weekends by following the plan.

Do it! There is potential here.

potential is there! I can see it, glad some others can too. maybe our vision sucks?

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/7/17 3:16 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: The Road Kill video where they pit their Corvette Kart against a Lingenfelter Vette is a good watch. The Kart that they built seems to be similar to the one that you're planning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8

that is one of the inspirations behind this. no doubt.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/7/17 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators:

Need to search youtube for cletus McFarland vette kart build videos. Much more similar to your build than hot rod vette kart.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
8/7/17 4:47 p.m.

You need to come up with a way to make people say "I want that" and I think the right cage will do the trick. It'll look like an Ariel Atom on steroids if you do it right. Don't just hack it up to get done and go fast. That's easy. Do it well, take tons of picks, build a kit and market it for say $3 - $5k. Then if that shows potential, start doin em turn-key.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/8/17 8:36 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to Go_Gators: Need to search youtube for cletus McFarland vette kart build videos. Much more similar to your build than hot rod vette kart.

I mentioned this earlier, and I agree with you. His cage looks pretty decent add in the big wing, and the way the tail lights are mounted, and I think it all looks pretty good.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/8/17 10:18 a.m.

yea, seen a few of the Leroy/Cletus videos. our paths diverge. I want simple, clean and intend on autocross. he wants flashes, its got huge twin turbos now and is intended more for stunts.

the platform is the same. but there will be a lot of deltas.

I plan to document the process well, but I don't intend on making this the first of many I do. if others see it and do similar that's cool, but I want to enjoy it, not gain an additional job!

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/8/17 10:35 a.m.
Go_Gators wrote: I plan to document the process well, but I don't intend on making this the first of many I do. if others see it and do similar that's cool, but I want to enjoy it, not gain an additional job!

I was going to comment that not everyone is after internet fame or marketing their ideas. Some people just want to build stuff and play with it.

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/8/17 11:09 a.m.

Well I am following along as I have wanted something stupid to drive for awhile. I have seen the Roadkill version, I have looked at lots of VW rail chassis, I had no idea you could get into C5's for so little these days....

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
8/8/17 4:34 p.m.

Just can't stand that Cletus McFarland, a fame whore !

If you start doing any if that crap I'll stop reading your build thread.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
8/9/17 6:01 a.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: Just can't stand that Cletus McFarland, a fame whore ! If you start doing any if that crap I'll stop reading your build thread.

^concur. you are okay with burnout and donuts though, right?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Our Preferred Partners
FrHYXQlwcdhSWkcLy4WXrmkswZxH8KR6HTmePeb7ZJcQOZSKbG2PsBKTQbCFgi7j