Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/20 8:39 a.m.

Your muffler setup is similar to my glh, I love mufflers rear mounted cut flush

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/20 11:49 a.m.

video link

Video of a few runs from Sunday. Co-driver's best run and another buddy's second run ever in the Kart. 

Kart felt great, thanks to co-drives, the tires actually got a bit of temp in them. Balance felt great, very neutral. 

I thought i did a good job staying in the throttle to keep some weight on the rear and am generally happy with my runs. Put down the 8th best raw time of 79 drivers. GOing to add a set of exhaust resonators between now and the next event, otherwise, no changes. just keep pushing it! 

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:29 p.m.

For very obvious reason, some free time has presented itself. Going to tackle some not particularly necessary type jobs. first up is the bumper refresh. Since the radiator is now in the boot, no reason to have all that free space up front. 

Plus, the old bumper was 0.120 cage tube, heavy stuff. it weighed 20lbs. new bumper is 16ga, 1.75" exhaust tube. same outer diameter as the rest of the Kart's tube.  Bumper 2.0 will shortern the front overhang, lose, 10lbs, integrate an air box and incorporate the LED lights i have used for night events, but also make nice brights. 

back to my ole friend. 

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:33 p.m.

naturally there were unpleasantries that presented themselves. 

after having had the ATI balancer to crank bolt backout and i beleive licking that issue. now the countersunk hub to balancer bolts have backed out till they broke. 3 had to be drilled out... reckon i was lucky to have caught when i did!!

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:34 p.m.

back to the bumper 2.0 effort... 

here are some mockup pics...

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:38 p.m.

now welded in. had to take substantial precautions to ensure hot bits didnt travel in the frame and damage my coolant hoses... that would be devastating...  buzzed on tabs to mount a face plate. thread inserts on the bottom too, if i ever want to add a splitter or air dam...

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:42 p.m.

Used the MAF to transition the air flow from the box to the tube. box isnt any where near water tight, but it should keep most direct water intrusion out. 

Go_Gators
4/3/20 7:46 p.m.

got a few tweaks to make.. but here is the before / after. generally pretty happy with how it came out. got rid of the bulky boxed frame ends and looks a bit more finished to me. 

Go_Gators
4/9/20 7:59 a.m.

continuing some work in the garage while teleworking simultaneously... 

working on wing 2.0. attempting to reduce magnitude while reusing as much as possible. basically switching the orrientation of the side panels and swapping the upper and lower elements.

primary bracket that used to be vertical, now tacked in ~6" lower and horizontal-ish (10 deg).

lower element and side plates mocked in. liking the look for sure.

Go_Gators
4/9/20 8:03 a.m.

coming along with the brackets and fasteners, what used to be the lower element is now the upper element in the 'high' drag position for autocross. will also have a posiiton for commuting, at a near horizontal angle, mounted towards the top. 

i cut nearly 1ft off of each side panel then mounted them 90 deg from the previous orientation. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/9/20 9:15 a.m.

Way betterer.....a frontsplitterfenderthingy in the future perhaps?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/9/20 9:28 a.m.

I like it. Bit of a Wall-E look.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/9/20 9:45 a.m.

To my eye the box around the air filter looks too small. Probably restrictive at higher rpm.

Go_Gators
4/9/20 10:03 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

Way betterer.....a frontsplitterfenderthingy in the future perhaps?

perhaps. i went ahead and put female threads on the bottom of the bumper to facilitate... 

Go_Gators
4/9/20 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

a bit!

Go_Gators
4/27/20 12:40 p.m.

well, there it is. 

LS1-KART on the local news. For none of the reasons going through your mind either. Only got a few seconds of air time, just enough for someone to look at the screen and say, "hey look at that.."

My 1st grader and i participated in a covid cruise past her teachers house which i guess the local news got wind of. 

Go_Gators
5/18/20 2:24 p.m.

couple pics from Sunday. 

Kart felt great. primarily (probably) because of new rear tires. 

This was the warmest test of the rear radiator configuration - no issues, needle didnt budge.

i designed and dsetup the course and felt pretty good with my runs, but probably didnt push it hard enough because the car felt neutral, the rear now with fresh meat and additional weight feels planted. i would say it tends to be a bit pushy now which is probably a good thing. 

Placed 4th overall, raw time. 0.9sec out of First, though a few of our faster drivers werent in attendance. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/20 6:15 p.m.

I got to ride along on the first run. Fast, balanced, fast, and amazingly composed.

And fast. Love this thing.

The tires look a LOT bigger in person.

The office.

Go_Gators
5/19/20 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Glad you could up and join us!

Go_Gators
5/19/20 12:45 p.m.

youtube video link of Run 3

Views from higher up on the car always look/feel slower and this one does! very pedestrian looking, feel like i should have pushed it harder! Thou, i know from driving it the front tires were screaming on most corners and from the drivers seat i thought i had done pretty fair. 

i ran tire pressures of 23-25psi, always a touch higher in the rear bc i felt i was trying to find more front grip, the rear was planted better than any previous experience in the kart, between the new tires, wing reorganization, rear battery and rear radiator, something worked. 

i bought some used solid sway bar end links, when they arrive i am going to remove the Z06 front bar and put my base model bar back on to see if that gives me a bit more front grip. at the june event, i may even try running with the front bar disconnected for half my runs.  we'll see... 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/20 10:28 a.m.

Tackling a few jobs while i am still working from home... stuff on the want to do list and to prepare for hopeful track day(s) this fall. 

while not paying full price for anything i nearly have full gear. got a 20deg hans from murray while they were on sale. ordered gloves and single layer pants from summit and amazon. already had a SFI jacket, shoes and a new helmet that will work with the hans. 

on the list... or on order...

window net

roll cage tube padding

cylinder head steam vent pipe for the rear (currently blocked off)

modify engine cover stands (currently protuding vertically from the frame) and create more rake

reroute the heater hoses away from the exhaust

in the done column... i made a seat back brace, adjustable. installed for safety... cost $20 for the turnbuckles (small but rated for 2750lb breaking strenght) the rest was scrap mild steel. it took a lot of lateral flex/wiggle out of the seat too!!

Go_Gators
6/5/20 9:19 a.m.

wrapped the latest engine cover / hood redo. added ~1.5 of rake and eliminated the old veritcal tubes that held it up, commonly thought of as course worker kabobs. 

not thrilled with the aesthetics of the front opening, but itll work. add the corner pieces to close off that area.

instead of the fixed veritcal post to hold up the engine cover, i made these removable brackets. using the drill press and grinder i machined down aluminum tube that is a snug fit in the thin wall steel tube. the aluminum tips are locating pins for the legs and the opposing washers welded onto the post keep it from wobbling. 

installed:

removed:

Go_Gators
6/5/20 9:21 a.m.

WHile i had the aluminum out i added 6" of shade to the roof. this filled in the curved openings on the both sides directly above occupants. it aint much, but i will take any more shade i can get.

Go_Gators
6/5/20 9:25 a.m.

It was a tad tricky with the intake installed, but i was able to snake in the a front head steam cross over pipe into the rear posistion (previously blocked off by previous owner). now both steam vent lines are 'T'-ed together and enter the small radiator on the front. cleaned up the routing of the former heater lines while i was there. moved them another 1" away from the exhaust and doubled wrapped them in the silicone hose i have used for the primary coolant lines.

Go_Gators
6/6/20 11:24 a.m.

'nother small project in the done column.

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V9nkpIDABpuX0MkxJZTHxYuYiDtp2t9Pw13r4YtKJd7KL2oLLRdIxEsxWQRVnhbA