Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/16/18 2:28 p.m.

We have clutch disengagement!!!!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/18 3:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

We have clutch disengagement!!!!

Yus!  Enough for a ziptie to go between clutch and flywheel?  Too much is bad too fyi....  it will actually re-engage the clutch in a pretty ugly way.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/18 3:34 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Not fully bled yet, so i dunno. 

But enough to shift into all gears running at idle!!!

Gonna hit it HARD this week to try to jave test drive before Christmas. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/16/18 4:58 p.m.

Challenge budget so far:

previous challenge budget: 1911.23

recoup total: 820

new money:

silicone 90 degree intake elbow, ebay: 8.90

pair of tilton master cylenders from facebook marketplace (2x for 60, used 1) 30

Recoup: 820

new total: 1950.13

alright, when we left off I had finished making sway bars. Dad painted, and I reinstalled.

20181207_174036 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181207_203557 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

red, because we all know red is faster than other colors.

We also were having clutch issues. No matter what we did, we could not get the clutch to disengage. We reverse bled, gravit bled, pressure bled, two man....

it boiled down to the fact that the miata clutch master just wasnt big enough. Seems that 7/8 is what is needed. So I spent far too much time trying t0 find a cheap and readily availible one. Finally came across a facebook marketplace ad for a pair of tilton masters for $60.

Screenshot_20181212-195551 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

bought them in a ymca parking lot at way too late at night, in the snow, 2 hours from home. Should've actually inspected them, as they were both seized up. So I blew them apart after soaking, and the bores and rubber were pretty much spotless inside. I think water and crap got inside and created just enough corrosion to cause problems.

7/8 is the one I used initially, fully expecting to need the 1 inch. I removed the cruise and upward travel limiters while I had the clutch pedal out for a little more stroke, slotted the holes on the body of the master to fit the miata stud pattern, used the stock clutch master reservoir and a chunk of 3/8 fuel line as well as a couple of washers for install. The hole in the firewall needed opened up a little, and I did that with an air file. The masters came without the fittings, and tilton told me they were an AN style fitting. I don't have any of those, but I had a tube nut and some scrap nicopp line from plumbing the 49 ford in the background of the whole build thread. A bubble flare was made, and it seals well enough for what it is. I still need to make a bracket for the reservoir, and I re-tapped the miata clevis to fit the tilton master. But by god, it worked, and hasn't even been bled yet!!!

20181216_140702 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181216_152629 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

I went ahead and filled the trans now that I know everything works. I cannot get to the proper fill/drain plugs on the passengers side, because im a dumbass and didn't give myself any way to get to them. So I used the reverse light switch hole on the drivers side. Hopefully it works right....

I also filled the rear diff.

Finished today with making the CAI clear the hood, and everything else. Ordered the cheapest coupler in 3 inch 90 degree I could find on ebay (black was more, red and blue were the cheapest). Used a piece of 3 inch exhaust tube to mate the silicone to the buick parts, and ran the filter behind the drivers side headlight. Just no good way to go on the passengers side, and the drivers side made everything fall into place. Its tight, and needs some mounts to keep it from moving around, but it clears everything I need it to. And the hood shuts easily.

20181216_155157 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

20181216_155220 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

dad and I do a nut and bolt check, rough alignment, bleed the clutch, and try to test drive before Christmas this week. My family and I leave Friday morning at holy crap its early, and I have to work all week. So its going to be tight. But I proved today that it moves a foot in either direction under its own power! So its possible....

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/16/18 7:09 p.m.

Merry Early Christmas Michael!!!!

autoglassdiscounters
autoglassdiscounters New Reader
12/16/18 7:11 p.m.

I SAY "YOLO" Because it is quite true. You only do live once. Go big or go home. Might as well do what makes you happy!!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 6:45 a.m.

After sleep, i think i can qualify the moving back and forth under its own power as a pre Christmas test drive.  End of the driveway and back is next milestone. 

Then the one mile round trip to the bext road.

Im really, really pleased already!

wvumtnbkr
12/17/18 8:24 a.m.

On that master install....

Why not switch the lines from top to front so you can bleed from the higher line?

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Clearance, Clarence. 

Just too tight on the front. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/18 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Hammer might fix that....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 9:37 a.m.

Im actually not concerned about bleeding. Jack the front of the car up and the bleed screw on the master gets higher than the line pretty quickly. 

And, clutch works with no bleeding of the new master and line AT ALL. so, any air bled out from here just makes it better in my mind. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 4:54 p.m.

So, its dark. But i have headlights... 

devil

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 5:11 p.m.

It gets sideways at half throttle in second. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 5:21 p.m.

i have officially driven the car further with an engine swap than i ever did stock.

Its brutal, near as i can tell. Im pretty sure that it wants to kill me.

Rear end has tons of noise. Dunno what that is. Needs lots of retaining brackets, a real alignment, seat belts, air filter mounted, battery tie down, all fluids checked, another nut and bolt check, and the windshield needs cleaned. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/17/18 5:21 p.m.

YeeHarr!!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/17/18 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Bet you have a big old E36 M3 eating grin on your face! yes

How does it sound?

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 6:04 p.m.

Sprung an exhaust leak at the merge. But other than that, surprisingly quiet inside. Dad said it sounds good from the road. 

I really want to go drive it more, but that's not wise in the dark, without more checking over or seatbelts. Or plates. Or insurance. Or....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 6:52 p.m.

Hour and a half later, im still vibrating. 

Freaking STOKED.

need to get on track for testing ASAP. i want to see what kind of murderous sob ive built.

tedroach
tedroach Reader
12/17/18 7:24 p.m.

I can imagine how excited you must be right now. Congrats on getting moving under its own power! I am sure this will be a beast on the course.

Just my advice: Take your time it testing the car (in the day time). You will have to keep checking for noises and leaks. Last thing you want to do is break it after all the work you just put in.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/17/18 8:25 p.m.

Cars that want to hurt you are one of life's great pleasures. Well done.

wvumtnbkr
12/17/18 8:29 p.m.

I am going to come down there and demand I get to drive it.

Sounds similar to the rx7....  it doesn't like to move forward in 1st or 2nd...

Well done sir.  Well done!

I know this sounds a bit odd...  I'm proud of you for this and feel a bit responsible for your crazyness...

wvumtnbkr
12/17/18 8:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Sprung an exhaust leak at the merge. But other than that, surprisingly quiet inside. Dad said it sounds good from the road. 

I really want to go drive it more, but that's not wise in the dark, without more checking over or seatbelts. Or plates. Or insurance. Or....

My car sounds like an old school 6 cylinder Busch car inside.  Outside, on track, it sounds like a quiet minivan...  boo.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/18 8:58 p.m.

Ted: exactly why i stopped tonight. Need to make a checklist and to do list. Get organized and methodical before i start to chase my own tail.

Rob: if you hadn't held my hand through this, i wouldn't have pulled it off this successfully. I owe you a run or two.

Seth: i love cars that WANT to hurt you. Something visceral in man vs machine. I love it. Part of why i build the stuff i do. There are far better ways to make tires go faster, but they generally aren't brutal and murderous enough to be fun for me.

Next big milestones are full test loop run (5 miles or so), setup and successful flat towing behind the Silverado, and mid February test and tune at vir.

GoLucky
GoLucky New Reader
12/17/18 9:26 p.m.

Congrats! Eagerly awaiting more

Dusterbd13-michael
12/18/18 6:53 a.m.

For all those following along: add things to my checklists.

Things you see that need addressed or checked over.

Things that you question the safety of.

Things to confirm before tech inspection 

Things i said i was gonna do that i haven't yet.

Etc

Want to build the most comprehensive and complete lists i can for getting back to it next week.

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wJQGGvMoyVrggYex5Q7nxrveYK8zB1CuW4Ply6AEy4u2JdBD12U5flSt8Gns22qT