1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 93
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/19 9:52 p.m.

I bet that car has 13's in it no bottle once you figure it out. I think you already have an awesome car to own, before during and after the Challenge. It's going to be fun learning how to drive it fast, whether at autocross, track, or the strip. Glad to have your build thread back in my life.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/25/19 5:17 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I was disappointed to say the least. Really a kick in the emotional nuts. Spent a lot of time thinking, and wrote the following the next afternoon.

I think I introduced too many variables, both mechanically and psychologically. Trying to re-learn drag racing, while relearning how to drive slicks on a car that is completely unknown on a drag strip. It felt squirrelly on the big end, squishy all around, etc. Nothing felt right, which caused fear. Dear amplified the nervousness and perception of the cars oddities. Which increased fear. Etc.

My plan is to rrtest. On street tires. And focus on shifting and driving the car straight. Once im comfortable with that, THEN introduce the variable of slicks. Relearn a car with a single new change.

I wasn't launching properly with the rolling and overthinking slicks. I was lifting when it got squirrelly. I wasn't shifting well, or using 4th properly. There's a LOT of wrong with last night. But a lot of right. It drives straight, stops straight, passes tech, and the clutch doesn't slip powershifting.

Im pretty sure there's a low 14 off the bottle in the car. But not a glory run that will get me the overall.

{...}

over my 5 runs, I got down to a 78.xxx the fast guys were all in the mid to high 60s. However, this is my second event in this car. And second event in two years. And first on warmed up slicks with a properly running car. And various other excuses. Im not fast. Im not a rock star driver. But, im getting better, and learning the car and how to drive at an autocross. Hopefully ill feel confident in October of being able to get everything out of the car I can. I plan to run all ME, and skip the pro driver at this point. That is subject to change, however.

Nice deal on the seats.  I'd see if you can keep both in the car for challenge.  I fully support you doing all the driving, with no pros... but you might make sure to have Seth or Spacecadet ride along for a run or two to talk you through lines and inputs.

I didn't see any feedback in the autocross write-up about the spring rate increase.  Was it an improvement?

re:squirrelly
So, unbeknownst to everyone here, I was back in the US for a few days during this time... and managed to stop by and "help" with the pre-autocross prep. (don't forget the zipties)  Duster let me take it for a jaunt down the front road.  With the 4.1 gears it's really quick through the revs in 1st and 2nd, there was no looking at the tach/shift-light.  It definitely moved sideways on me (specifically to the pax side) in 2nd... but I wasn't sure if that was due to road surface (there was a dip when I was in 2nd) and/or the "move around" tires it was on.  I'm not sure if the hard seat was amplifying that "feel", though, because I don't recall doing much reaction before the car settled and then hit redline.  It was also pretty "jouncy" over the road imperfections, but not "teeth rattlingly so"... I think it reminds me how my '94 felt weighted down for OneLap transits, with much more acceleration.

I think some of the experience from this past weekend can be addressed with something that is "Challenge Budget Neutral", and only costs time and gas (and might have been referenced in the other thread): Be more familiar with the car.  But I'll go beyond that blanket, stupid, statement though; I think you need to be proactive and intent in your familiarization with the car.  You've made the step from 'wound up to build a winner' to 'remember this is a fun car for after', and learning the car supports that primary mission.  There is fun to be had in learning the rhythm of the shifts from a start, and "feeling" where they are each time you pull away from a light.  Has your dad driven it, if so what's his input?  There's fulfillment to be found in the refinement of this initial nugget.

Good luck!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/25/19 5:38 a.m.

Tge car felt MUCH different on the drag slicks. Like it was hinged in the middle by a slinky. Does NOT feel that way on any other tire setup. Doesn't feel that way on the street or autocross course either. 

As far as tge rate increase goes, i dont know. The car felt more planted this go round, and was a lot lesz tail happy. Im not sure if thats due to it running right, the slicks actually getting warm, or the springs. Very neutral car that i never found the limits of.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/19 12:08 p.m.

Priority 1 has to be having fun with it.  Otherwise they'd call it work.  So good job getting realigned.

I know your pain with learning to drive fast.  I've been going to the autocrosses and getting slayed.  But I'm learning and getting faster!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/25/19 1:09 p.m.

I call this the heartbreak phase of the project. When the car that you  visualized as your source of motivation,  does not meet the dream. Kinda there with the Molvo, but it does enough things really awesomely that I know I can get it to be a cool ride.  Just that reality sucks and I am not done spending money.

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
7/25/19 1:43 p.m.

It more than meets all my original criteria. Maybe not my hoped for numbers, but i have succeded in, and possibly surpassed my basuc goals. Its the goals i imposed hapfway through (low 13s quarter all motor, autocross and challenge dominance, etc) that it doesnt meet.

Its a safe car. That looks good, drives fantastic. Fast enough. Street legal. Probably competitive with much more expensive hardware. Reliable. 

It didn't lose any of the miata joy, but picked up all the power I've felt was missing. 

So, not so much a letdown of the initial plan. But a letdown of the added goals that would make me a miserable dickhead trying to meet.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/19 4:10 p.m.

You can pick up about 20 or so hp by porting the intake and heads.  Dyno proven with the 3400.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/25/19 5:21 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Tge car felt MUCH different on the drag slicks. Like it was hinged in the middle by a slinky. Does NOT feel that way on any other tire setup. Doesn't feel that way on the street or autocross course either. 

My Miata felt  weird on the slicks, too. It's the low pressure and all that sidewall flex, feels like the rear end is on foam rubber tires.Just keep your right foot down!

I'd love to test drive yours, time permitting in Gainesville.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/26/19 9:25 a.m.

I've been reading all of these back and forth thoughts. I think you need to wait for the right summer evening, about 7:00. Grab your daughter. Go get ice cream. If this car can excel at that over the next 4 years or so, it will be the best car you ever build. Use it to build some memories. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/26/19 1:49 p.m.

New seats dont fit a miata. Im ok with that.

Going to drive it to vbs and take the daughter home with it tomorrow if the weather is nice. Because seth us right. Challenge is one thing. Life and memories are what really matter.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/29/19 3:22 p.m.

Im officially a wheel whore....

6 sets of wheels and tires for this car alone.

I really dig the polished aluminium and fat wheel lip of these. Now to see if they actually FIT. then, used 205/50/16 stretched onto the 8 inch wide wheels.....

Dusterbd13-michael
7/29/19 3:50 p.m.

And muchkin loves riding in the race car. However, the aluminiumseat and 5 points leave a lot to be desired in safety for her due to her size. Going after a set of na seats this week. Solve that problem....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/29/19 6:01 p.m.

I always feel too tall for stock Miata seats, but they work perfectly for my kids. Part of what they like about the cars. I figured your daughter would like it. Fast, convertible, and she gets to sit right next to you. It's special. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/30/19 8:57 a.m.

I spent quality time cleaning, purging, and organizing the shop and my office yesterday. Mopped and everything!

This morning before work i finished shaving all the holes and tossed some touch up paint at the engine bay. 

Befire:

After:

Subtle differences, but it makes me happy.

TVR Scott
7/30/19 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That looks GREAT!

What exactly are you doing to fill in all the little holes?  Really makes everything look clean.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/30/19 9:15 a.m.

I ordered white plastic furniture hole plugs from widgetco for about .20 ea after shipping. Used a wooden dowel as a drift and tapped them into place, then painted over top to match my shade of white.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/19 9:15 a.m.

Got any more of that green paint? I think if you painted the intake manifold green, and brushed the raised lettering white that would look amazing.

Also, what was your process for filling those holes? EDIT: Already asked and answered...

Dusterbd13-michael
7/30/19 9:24 a.m.

Aaannnd

The centerline billet wheels don't fit. This is a set i had bought for the centercaps when i had the el Camino. I sold the wheels to brother dustin for his z car. Hes cleaning up to list his house, and "gave" them back to me for a while. Supposedly they were on a prelude before i bought them. They fit his z car perfect, and i assumed that the other pattern was 4x100. Its not. So, they'll be in cold storage until he moves.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/30/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Unfortunately, nope. Im debating on what to do with the 3400 casting. White? Red? Black? Leave it alone?

TVR Scott
7/30/19 10:54 a.m.

If you could get some more green, I agree that would look great.  Otherwise red, because it's faster.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/19 11:10 a.m.

I would leave the engine casting alone. It looks very clean right now

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/19 11:26 a.m.

I think if you're just looking to do the letters, black is best, but red would match the intake boot. 

I still think the Green/White combo would be best, but I think doing the lettering at least would be cool to show more clearly what engine is in there.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
7/30/19 12:36 p.m.

Use red wrinkle paint on the manifold and then block sand the letters in one direction only with about 100 grit until they read clearly. Wrinkle is not a requirement, but red is.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/31/19 1:42 p.m.

I did a thing.

Loaded up all the stock miata crap i had no use for (stock struts and springs, steering wheel, exhaust, windblockers, airbags, plastic bits and smog crap, etc) in the back of my truck. Went to h&s miata parts in concord. Traded truckload of useless E36 M3 for scruffy na miata seats, black nb carpes that are faded and cut, and a sidemarker lens for the back bumper. 

I think i got the better end of the deal. 

Anyone know what the good seat covers (cloth, tan) are for 96 miata seats are for after the challenge?

Dusterbd13-michael
8/2/19 8:25 a.m.

Y'all say a prayer that the weather holds. If it's a nice enough night I am going to go and try to have a rematch with the drag strip.

1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h4LiLWc9OUw1bYRqG7aXMOMm5bi7cmM4NnyKP0lnMKV1diRjk7SDsF8kUlLPUD1i