1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 93
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/19 7:17 a.m.

It looks like there are robots peeking out from both middle vents

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/9/19 7:49 a.m.

Heh. It would have been cooler had i planned it! I love my vintage cabinet pulls....

And yup. Screwed up the straight edge on the last vent making it look like a kidney bean.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/19 8:14 a.m.

Layout with tape to get the overall shapes before making holes...

Dusterbd13-michael
10/9/19 8:35 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

The plan is to actually make a template off the nice side of the cut test Hood to transfer to the good Hood. I learned on the test piece that trying to follow the underhood bracing from the underside of the hood is an exercise in frustration and mistakes

Dusterbd13-michael
10/9/19 1:26 p.m.

Like this, but less crappy. (Just kidding. Its as crappy as it looks.)

Hopefully it's close....

stafford1500
10/9/19 1:36 p.m.

that'll work.

Its starting to look like a skeleton, just in time for halloween

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/19 1:58 p.m.

You could possibly do some ducting from the radiator out the holes.  Not exactly sure how it would work in the engine bay, but it might be worth some card-board and playtime.

Looks cool!

Dusterbd13-michael
10/9/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Youre right. Hmm....

Would mini side-waterfall ducts be as good as the normal center bigun?

stafford1500
10/9/19 2:11 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Youre right. Hmm....

YES

Dusterbd13-michael
10/9/19 2:15 p.m.
stafford1500 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

Youre right. Hmm....

YES

Cool. Once this thing is hacked and fitted, ill post some pictures through the vents and we will see what the best way to do it is. 

Again, reducing underhood pressure and increasing cooling capacity are the goals here. Looking cool is important too....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/19 4:23 p.m.

I always liked this style

Dusterbd13-michael
10/11/19 2:39 p.m.

Little fine tuning and sent it to art for dent fixing! He owes me a favor, and i found more valspar....

Niw i need to find some fine metal mesh (like aluminium with 1/4 holes punched through it like a pasta strainer) to fill the big holes with. 

stafford1500
10/11/19 3:05 p.m.

Your screen door mesh idea will work for this application. Another alternative is metal lath for plaster/stucco. Maybe $3-4 for a 2ft*8ft sheet at most big box hardware stores.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/11/19 3:05 p.m.

That looks nice!

Dusterbd13-michael
10/11/19 3:51 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Your screen door mesh idea will work for this application. Another alternative is metal lath for plaster/stucco. Maybe $3-4 for a 2ft*8ft sheet at most big box hardware stores.

I have a giant roll of screen door mesh. But, how would i attach it? With the metal i was thinking i could use rivets. Ideas? The lathe and pladter stuff has too much visual void (have a chunk that i tried)

stafford1500
10/11/19 3:57 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
stafford1500 said:

I have a giant roll of screen door mesh. But, how would i attach it? With the metal i was thinking i could use rivets. Ideas? The lathe and pladter stuff has too much visual void (have a chunk that i tried)

Try using something like rtv/caulk/jb-weld from the back side of the hood. Not too close to the openings, but enough to keep it glued in place. You may even be able to hide the edges between the outer skin and the lower bracing of the hood. Possibly a big piece that covers all three openings on each side.

A little masking tape and some weights around the openings (while it is setting up and curing) will give the glue a nice finished look, if you see it at all.

Dusterbd13-michael
10/11/19 4:14 p.m.

This is sad, but I didn't even think about using glue.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/11/19 5:32 p.m.

I would use window weld in enough quantity to ooze through the lath. I have also seen at a big box store a 3x3 foot sheet of decorative expanded aluminum mesh. The same style expansion as "GutterGaurd" with an anodized finish in gold or black as well as clear like gutter gaurd. If you must use rivets make some 1/2 inch wide strips from the cut outs to hold 3 or more rivets.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/12/19 2:47 p.m.

Maybe 6 sheet metal frames with the screen sammiched between it and the hood with rivets?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/12/19 3:20 p.m.

just keep in mind that NA/NB miata hoods are aluminum... and if you mix AL and steel you'll get oxidization due to the dissimilar metals, iirc

going glue, might create enough of a barrier to that?  or just make sure you go w/ aluminum mesh

Dusterbd13-michael
10/12/19 3:42 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Maybe 6 sheet metal frames with the screen sammiched between it and the hood with rivets?

Or maybe even plastic! I'll have to experiment with that see how it looks after it's painted in fitted to the car.

Sleepyhead: I keep forgetting about dissimilar metal oxidation. Thank you for the reminder.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/12/19 5:11 p.m.

I you use plastic, play around with flame to polish edges and some rough parts.  The less soot the better, straight hydrogen is best but not common

Justin
Justin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/19 8:47 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Dusterbd13-michael
10/13/19 7:43 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

I you use plastic, play around with flame to polish edges and some rough parts.  The less soot the better, straight hydrogen is best but not common

Do you have any links to how to do that kind of thing? Never seen it done or even read a good article about it

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/13/19 7:33 p.m.

For a short while, i built the boxes that lottery tickets are dispensed from.  We rough cut with table and band saws, then ran the cut edges along an aluminum angle iron jig that had a brazing torch clamped to it at the end fueled by pur hydrogen.  Cut, torch the edge, then use a syringe and 18 g needle and basically acetone to glue the parts together 

1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KQEJtRhNSjdryDC7E5nHxvLEQZFpEpyuRoAvsuuch6szxEnkVvCCaVr2lnsdiB5g