1 2
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
9/29/18 7:42 p.m.

Thanks to bmw88rider I got a new project. My buddy and I went and got it this morning. I'm jumping in the middle of bmw88rider project that he ran out of time to work on.  

First order will be to get it running and back together. 

When we loaded it up. 

The driver side windows were down when the battery went boom.  My buddy had left over car wrap so we wrapped it to keep out rain until I had time to work on it. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
9/29/18 7:48 p.m.

Was only planning on unloading it. But did a a little work tonight until I got tired of the mosquitoes eating me alive.  

Opened trunk and hood.  

I was wondering why the rear was so squatted. The old engine is back there.  

Then cleaned up all the electrical connections in the engine bay. Hooked a battery up.  

Then rolled up the windows 

And turned the key on and the fuel pump primes and shot out fuel out of the unhooked fuel lines. And I turned the key for split second and it turns over.  So that's promising.  

Tossed the headlights and passenger mirror back on.  

And what I've hooked up so far on the engine harness. 

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
10/1/18 1:31 p.m.

Dude, what is that truck it's parked next too? 

Mid-engine?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 9:00 p.m.

Glad it got home ok. Forgot to tell you the original motor was in the trunk. 

Couple of fun notes. 

1. It's got Volvo Springs on it with Volvo Bilstein shocks on it. The left rear mounting stud broke removing the factory original 200K mazda parts.

2. Transmission was replaced about 3 years ago with a yard transmission. It's only got about 80K Miles on it and a brand new clutch.

3.  The motor is out of a 2.5L Fusion. I think it was a 2013. The yard said it was only 8K miles on it so take that for what it is. 

4. You may double check the timing on it. I never got it started and kept it running after the 2.5L transplant. Would throw a code and not want to actually run. 

5. There should be inner tie rods in there for it as well. I only changed the outers and never set the alignment. 

Good luck. The other fog light was smashed to all heck so I tossed it. 

Bibs
Bibs New Reader
10/2/18 9:23 a.m.

That gen never got the 2.5, just the 2.3L. Can the ECU run the 2.5? 

I know in the Miata world, people replace broken 2.0L MZRs with 2.5L units, but you need a tune to compensate for the differences.

bmw88rider
10/2/18 3:32 p.m.

Oh yeah. I talked to the Dynotronics before I started and it's really not much of a difference. They did a couple there. Under 20 HP and 20 TQ. The ECU can compensate. For Max HP you can tune it but not really needed. 

It's a pretty popular swap due to the JY costs. The fusion motor was under $300 shipped and a much higher mileage Mazda 2.3 would have been 4 times that. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
10/2/18 5:26 p.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

1963 Jeep Fc-170 on a mid 90s f350 chassis. It's a work in progress, well if I ever worked on it. The bed won't stay, it's just holding junk.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
10/2/18 9:56 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting it up and running.  Once that happens I got an idea I think I want to do.  But waiting until it's up and running first.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/10/18 8:24 p.m.

Got some missing parts in.  Got a fusion intake and a throttle body adapter that allows the 2.3tb to fit on the 2.5 intake. 

Going try and check the timing tomorrow. 

amerson
amerson New Reader
10/10/18 10:18 p.m.

Nice car. Can't wait to see more updates and pics.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/11/18 8:54 p.m.

Checked the timing and the plugs. Timing Mark's all lined up. It's real clean up top. Still has fomoco plugs and they looked great. 

And got it mostly together. I rigged up a bit to attempt to start it. It's not happy but I haven't done the wire mods yet so doesn't surprise me. 

https://youtu.be/ByTRLJhjrWc

Anyone else having issues embedding videos or just me?

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/12/18 11:49 a.m.

What is the purpose of the line next to the fuel line? The feed line is the one on the drivers side, what is the one just to the right of it used for? I thought these were a return less system?

bmw88rider
10/12/18 3:14 p.m.

Looks like the JY claim of only 8K miles may have actually been accurate. I never took the valve cover off. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/18 3:34 p.m.
bigfranks84 said:

https://youtu.be/ByTRLJhjrWc

Anyone else having issues embedding videos or just me?

everyone.  it's a known problem, developer had trouble reproducing, it's "in work"

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/13/18 3:17 p.m.
bigfranks84 said:

What is the purpose of the line next to the fuel line? The feed line is the one on the drivers side, what is the one just to the right of it used for? I thought these were a return less system?

Figured it out its for the purge valve setup. 

Yeah the motor is definitely a low mileage one.  

I got the oil sensor swapped over, took off the fusion one and put on the mazda with 3 one. Oil light is now off. 

Got the passenger axle put back on. Along with the new inner tie rod tossed on. I messed up the sway bar end link when unloading the car. So got that on order.  

Put the window motors and door panels back on the passenger side. 

What kind of fluid goes in the trans? I know it leaked out some blue fluid on the tow dolly. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/18 5:10 p.m.

This is so relevant to my interests... great project!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/14/18 6:11 p.m.

Hey bmw88rider what Volvo are those bilsteins off of? Somebody asked me on a Mazda board. 

Thanks Matt 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/19/18 10:20 p.m.

Well got my parts in. Got the purge valves hooked and an no longer throwing codes right now. Did get the belt tensioner and belt on also. Also got to bleeding the clutch. 

Notice I'm low on trans fluid. Going get some mt-90 and drain and replace the fluid. 

Only issue I that came up was oil was leaking all around the vvt solenoid. Is that seal need to swapped for a different one? Or maybe it's just worn out? Its blowing oil out all around it.

bmw88rider
10/19/18 11:15 p.m.

The Bilstiens are off a C30/S40. IT's the OEM replacements. B4 series. They matched the C30 sport comfort springs that are on it. 

There should be another VVT solenoid in the car. I probably damaged the seal as had it in and out a few times. 

Sounds like you are moving right along. I never filled the transmission because it never really moved. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/21/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Looks like it takes a different seal. Just need to swap it and it will seal up. 

Did the 2.5 have the balance shaft delete done on it?

Got the fluid on order, will fill it and be able to test and see if I bleed the clutch enough. 

bmw88rider
10/22/18 7:13 a.m.

I didn't do the Balance Shaft Delete. It's stock right out of the yard. 

bmw88rider
12/22/18 9:32 a.m.

So just out of curiosity, you ever get this going? 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/22/18 5:21 p.m.

It's up and running but not driving yet. 

I put new inner and outer tie rods and sway bar links. Got new trans fluid in it. 

When I went to bleed the slave the bleeder broke off. Was going get it off when I noticed the seal was leaking anyways so I have a new slave cylinder on order (ups lost it for a few days) should be here any day. 

Sent you an email with some other details. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/24/18 8:14 p.m.

Got the new clutch slave cylinder on.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
12/24/18 8:16 p.m.

Gave up on trying to find the right seal. Tried 3 different ones and none fit. There is a big and small cam sensor but no one has the seal for the small.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5XgZlu6fjCLQVubLOZKMVaUWEgU3fjSqg1iC6dB28IKwJMyGiZs51xYy7QMGWBAV