1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 107
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/7/18 8:56 p.m.

Plywood is up. Still need to get some of the screws in as well as a bunch of drywall screws. To all of you that deal with sheet goods on the regular, my hats off to you, I'm beat. Very happy to move on to making things pretty.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/18 11:16 p.m.

Very fitting post to start page 100 of this thread. Well done. cool

mazdeuce - Seth
10/8/18 6:44 p.m.

I bet I can move the cabinet without cleaning it off. Gravity disagrees.  Morning coffee gone. 

Tape and mud. Got two coats on today. Thin to start and a second in the afternoon to bring it up to grade. If I was good at this I could probably get it done tomorrow. 

And the ceiling came. It's going to be cool. 

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
10/8/18 8:03 p.m.

Man that mudding and floating process is one that I find to expose the difference between amateur and pro quite dramatically. Like welding. I've done quite a bit of it, but it takes me depressingly long: multiple coats of mud, sand, mud, sand to get it flat enough for my taste.

Then I see some pros lay it in one smooth pass. Eesh.

Looking nice!

damen

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/18 9:07 p.m.
badwaytolive said:

Man that mudding and floating process is one that I find to expose the difference between amateur and pro quite dramatically. Like welding. I've done quite a bit of it, but it takes me depressingly long: multiple coats of mud, sand, mud, sand to get it flat enough for my taste.

Then I see some pros lay it in one smooth pass. Eesh.

Looking nice!

damen

The key is for smaller jobs like this us pros use fast setting compounds so we can do the tape and finish coats in one day then sand the next and be done because drywall sucks so i want it to be as quick a process as possible 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/8/18 9:36 p.m.

It's just time. Nobody wants to pay to be stuck in drywall hell, but if time is free you can do one coat+sand a day until it's good. Luckily most of these seams will be behind cabinets. I have one full length seam that will be right by the table that I'll take my time on. Everything else will get worked on for whatever amount of time that takes. Mrs. Deuce came home tonight and said "let's paint" so I must be getting at least slightly better. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/10/18 12:00 p.m.

If I had bought primer at the store yesterday I'd have the first coat on by now. If the schedule works right this evening I think I can get two coats on before I leave for the Challenge in the morning. Mrs. Deuce is happy. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
10/10/18 7:24 p.m.

So about 15 miles from you this same weekend my brother was also attaching plywood to a ceiling by himself.  The two of you really need to get together and spend Saturdays at one place and Sunday at the other and get your projects done faster. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/10/18 9:22 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

Pretty sure you're the smartest of the three of us. 

Walls are in primer. I'm happy. I'm tired. I'm going to the Challenge. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
10/11/18 6:15 p.m.

A good drywalling career is like a professional athletic career.  15 years slanging drywall is an eternity in that game.  Definitely a young man's province at the professional level.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/11/18 6:29 p.m.

You just watch, Mrs. Deuce will have that ceiling up by the time you get back. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
10/15/18 7:29 p.m.

Started on the ceiling. Getting it all lined up isn't super easy. Lots of pausing and thinking. The more I get up the more I like it shiny. Maybe I won't paint it. 

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
10/19/18 12:57 p.m.

Once you paint it, you can paint it any colour you like. But once you paint it, it's REALLY hard to go back to shiny.

No harm leaving it "mostly finished" for a couple years while you decide if you want to paint it.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
10/19/18 2:19 p.m.

I always thought those ceiling tiles went up from the center of the room out. Basically snap a couple chalk lines so you know where to start and circle out.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/19/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

Depends on the size of the room and how it's used. Basically you don't want to look into the overlaps. For this room starting in this corner makes the most sense. I think. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/25/18 3:42 p.m.

Tin ceiling. It's harder than it looks. If it were tin floor it would be easy, but anything over your head messes with perception and make the work 38 times harder. And if you drop a sheet, just let it go. No stitches, but it's close. I'll have a reminder of this project. 

This is the most I've ever cut tin with tin snips. 

And I'm working on filling in the pattern with nails. I elected to do the "all the nails" pattern because I think it makes it look sort of like a quilt. Ballpark 1,000 nails for the room. 

I was frustrated enough early on that I nearly ripped it all down and quit. I've never been closer to quitting a project half way through than I was with this. I'm glad I finished. 

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
10/25/18 10:34 p.m.

Shiny!  I bet it looks great in person and really brightens up the room.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/25/18 11:42 p.m.

I bought some shiney tin like that for the roof of a birdhouse my bride wanted.  Had the stuff sitting in the *dry* shop.  It rusted from just the humidity in the air. 

Now I'll give you that you can almost swim through the air around here in the winter, but steam from cooking will get the humidity in your kitchen up there I would guess.

If you like shiney, you might think about spraying some clear on it or at least dunk some scrap in water to check what it will do...

java230
java230 UltraDork
10/26/18 8:00 a.m.

Looks great! And yeah overhead makes even the most simple mundane tasks a PITA.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/18 1:40 p.m.

Now i want to do that in my kitchen.  Looks sweet

mazdeuce - Seth
10/26/18 3:24 p.m.

Looked at it this morning. I still like it. Not sure how it will age or really look with everything else in the kitchen. Paint, trim, floor, cabinets. Still lots to do. 

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
10/29/18 7:34 p.m.

Slightly off topic here ... did you re-glue the "made by Guido" medallion to the R63 manifold? If it's still around, I'd like to have it.

4 weeks ago an R63 white AMG took up residence 2 blocks from me. Even though it had a Sugar Land Mercedes license frame, I thought maybe they bought Seth's car. Before I stopped by to say "hey, I helped rebuild your car engine", I went back to Auto trader and your unicorn thread and got the latest.

Saw on the local news recently that a deer followed a lady into her house in your neck of the woods - is this common?

mazdeuce - Seth
10/29/18 7:56 p.m.

First paint.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/29/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to ronniejay :

The made by Guido plaque went with the van and is going to be reattached. Very interesting that another white R63 is in Houston. The other one I knew about (but haven't seen) is silver. 

I won't say a deer following someone into the house is common, but this is the part of the world where you're likely to find some hand raised wildlife. We've raised a deer and a the heron so far, and that's just my yard. 

I still owe you a porkchop by the way. Don't let me get away without paying up.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/30/18 3:52 p.m.

Putting in floor while the room is full of stuff kind of sucks. Hopefully done tonight and then on to trim. 

1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dzwrlMZUEITbrqaCUHUlvB56twOKHhMT5ioJsItXtYqizVrZwhlhJE7Psw4EZ88