1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 107
akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
12/21/16 7:45 a.m.

For an under lift support I have one HF trans lift with a welded base and casters also added a positive lock ring to the shaft because I don't trust HF hydraulic rams.

My other support is made from an old bench grinder stand with a length of Acme threaded rod through it, then welded an Acme nut to an old brake disc for the adjustment wheel, it works great and can be made to any height.

For under a lift you want your support to be adjustable so don't have to run the car up and down to move or compress things.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/2/17 4:31 p.m.

Something about January in Texas makes me want to work on the yard. Weather is nice. The lawn only needs sporadic mowing. Nothing is really growing.
I burned the brush pile again so I have more room to trim things. I also started with this.
It's kind of an apron of cement that extends off the part of my living room that had a garage door from when the living room was a shop. It's very broken but still makes it so that there is no grass that will grow making my lawn even uglier. I'm attacking it now because I can put all of the chunks under where the gravel for the apron around the lean to will go. Hopefully soon.
The orchard is going well. At least the lemon tree is. This is maybe 20% of what is on the tree. 30 lemons. We also had 28 oranges between two trees. Again, I should have planted these trees the day after I bought the house instead of 10 years later.

pereiracycles
pereiracycles New Reader
1/22/17 10:59 a.m.

Read this whole thread over the past week. Finding it inspiring on many levels. Thanks for sharing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/22/17 12:51 p.m.

In reply to pereiracycles:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hard to believe how long I've been at it considering how much left there is to do.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/17 12:59 p.m.

When life gives you lemons, you have to set aside your five other projects to pick them and make lemonade?

Gunchsta
Gunchsta New Reader
1/22/17 1:55 p.m.

Although it's been said many times; this is a wonderful thread. Thanks Mazdeuce. I read through the whole thing over the course of a couple weeks and it was awesome.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/22/17 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta:

Thank you very much. It still feels like a story half told. Hopefully I can get myself organized and get back to work.

LSxDreamer
LSxDreamer None
1/23/17 6:34 a.m.

Greetings deuce! Just wanted to say how envious I am of your whole Grosh situation. I joined GRM because of your threads (the R63 thread brought me here first) and they're leading me to be a bit more motivated about my little projects around the house. The part of MI that I'm in might not accommodate having a grand Groshmahal such as yours, but one of these days I simply hope to address the water that is constantly coming in from the perimeter of the building. Keep up the good work!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/23/17 11:17 a.m.

Mazdeuce: Builder, Producier, Ambasador of GRM-dom to the masses.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/23/17 1:53 p.m.

In reply to LSxDreamer:

Thanks for reading and get the water issue fixed. One small thing at a time and the next thing you know it's a proper project.

After spending as much time as I have in the work bay I desperately want to get the drywall up and painted and decide what to do with the floor to brighten it up. I'm losing way too much light to the dark floor and raw walls.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/23/17 6:26 p.m.

Wow, my wife would've drawn and quartered me many times over if the house remained unfinished. The house is her baby, if I leave something on a counter it's instantly moved into the Twilight Zone.

How do you like the race deck? I have some sorta plastic tiles in my garage but they have holes in them. Which initially I thought was good, but really just means they're always dirty and its impossible to clean them.

So I'm debating replacing them with solid tiles...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/23/17 7:07 p.m.

In the living room I have mixed feelings. It's liberating to have floor that is as durable as this and it does look cool, but you can still scratch it and it's hard to get it living room clean with a broom. We use a hard surface cordless vacuum but I'm not sure I want to vacuum my garage. I still think I'm going to use in in the front part where I park but I don't think I'd use it anywhere that I actually work on cars. I think it's probably world's better than the stuff with holes in it, but it's not a perfect surface.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/23/17 7:27 p.m.

Yeah, not sure I'd put it in my house either.

What I hate about my current garage floor is you just can't clean it, since it's got holes.

I live where there's winter, so all the dirt from the cars just falls down in between the holes. Plus oil, brake fluid, etc from working on the cars/bikes.

With solid tiles I can blast it with my pressure washer than just squeegee it clean.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/23/17 7:45 p.m.

There are still the cracks between the tiles. If you spill something in the wrong spot some of it is going to run down the cracks. Since I can take this picture with a Lego for scale without getting up from the couch, I have done so.

Motobones
Motobones
1/23/17 8:36 p.m.

Hello Mr Deuce, I am another reader who found your threads because they were mentioned by R&T. I came for the R63 and ended up reading that and about the Grosh, Insight, and a bit of CTS-V. I've found threads about Fergus but not one full build thread. If there is one I'd like to know where to find it. I've learned all kinds of stuff about cars, garages, cabinet making, even growing fruit trees, it's been fascinating. You do amazing work and have a great family. I would also like to comment on how nice and helpful all the forum members are. It is a great community. I will continue to lurk because that's all I'm qualified to do in this company. Thanks for sharing all of this.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/23/17 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Motobones:

Thanks for reading and the compliments. The build thread for Fergus is here. I'm afraid you're not going to see much. All of my worst falts wrapped up in one project. Buying a car and then telling my wife. Shipping it instead of adventure. Not having any direction for the project (though it's finally shaping up in my head) and so I just poke at it every now and again rather than work on it. Fergus is always the bridesmaid and always gets pushed back.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/23/17 9:04 p.m.

True, but those cracks are way smaller than the entire tile being perforated

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/23/17 9:16 p.m.

Which is also true, but holy cow is VCT nicer in pretty much every way. If I had good concrete in the whole Grosh I'd put it in the whole thing.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/23/17 9:54 p.m.

I have vct in my shop. I love it. Except for the fact that gasoline destroyed it. So, just dont spill 6 gallons of it on the floor.

Additionally, as long as its fairly smooth, youll be just fine.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/23/17 10:26 p.m.

Unfortunately my garage floor is anything but smooth. It has some large seams in it and the slab itself is old and junky...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/23/17 10:32 p.m.

The seams arent bad if you use some levelling compound. The surface of the floor can be up to the rought broom texture, but you will need an exceptionally thick layer of glue.

Rent a floor grinder for a day, get it pretty smooth, fill the seams and divots, and go vct.

Just don't get gas on it.

Theres a bunch of information about this over on garage journal. That's where I did my research before going with vct. Id recommend the same, as it does have some drawbacks.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/24/17 1:34 p.m.

A little while ago my in-laws tried to get something for the man who already has everything he needs and more. Me. We settled on an electric impact gun and today is the first time I've really used it rotating the tires on the truck.
I can see where this will be very useful for wheel stuff with a car on the lift. I'll have to decide how I want to use it otherwise. I quite like using regular hand tools. I've always liked taking things apart and a big part of that is the tactile sensation of the act. Nobody is paying me to save time with faster methods, so we'll see. I'm probably the mechanical equivalent of the guy who uses a hand saw and chisels to build a coffee table.
It's a good complimentary tool to the lift.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/24/17 1:44 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of my cordless impact. Take it to the track with me, work at home with it. It's awesome.

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
1/24/17 2:40 p.m.

Removing shock nuts is a good use of one. Putting them on, slightly less so.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/17 4:38 p.m.

The problem with big electric impacts like that is that, aside from lug nuts, most of the big, high-torque fasteners that you'd want to use them on are so buried inside the car that it doesn't fit.

I use my IR air-powered 3/8" butterfly impact wrench on all kinds of stuff.

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eyak0tjI0umirO6zSTBCPK0NdLLkfSb2BSMm2bP3LwkmT1uKmuLtfMsIB6VN4vqO