1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 107
brevity1073
brevity1073
1/27/17 9:48 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Sometimes procrastination is your subconscious trying to keep you from doing something wrong.

This is now officially my motto. Thank you, Deuce.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/27/17 12:13 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: My life long dream, since I was about four, was to get a backhoe and dig a moat around the house. With a drawbridge. I've wanted to do this at every house I've ever lived in. I am not allowed to have a backhoe.

Just FYI, I bought one over Christmas. My dad has it, needs a starter. Ill let you know when its running......

Maybe Mrs. Deuce isn't listening or won't put 2 and 2 together if I ever visit.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
1/27/17 12:21 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: A little while ago my in-laws tried to get something for the man who already has everything he needs and more. Me. We settled on an electric impact gun and today is the first time I've really used it rotating the tires on the truck. I can see where this will be very useful for wheel stuff with a car on the lift. I'll have to decide how I want to use it otherwise. I quite like using regular hand tools. I've always liked taking things apart and a big part of that is the tactile sensation of the act. Nobody is paying me to save time with faster methods, so we'll see. I'm probably the mechanical equivalent of the guy who uses a hand saw and chisels to build a coffee table. It's a good complimentary tool to the lift.

Mazdeuce you remind me of my dad. He once used a handsaw, a miter box and a hand drill to hang crown molding in our entire 2500 sq ft house. Love the build threads, next time I'm in Houston I think I could learn a thing or 3 from you.

jolsongoude
jolsongoude
1/27/17 8:07 p.m.

Wow is all I can say. Another new reader who's spent the last few days reading this entire thread. You have my admiration. PM me if you'd like a couple pair of MN plates. Thanks for the enjoyable read and I'm off back to the R63 thread.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/27/17 9:27 p.m.
brevity1073 wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Sometimes procrastination is your subconscious trying to keep you from doing something wrong.
This is now officially my motto. Thank you, Deuce.

I'm not even sure I remember writing that, butmit sounds very clever when you quote it. I should out that on a T shirt.
I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/27/17 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker:

As for you, I either want to be your friend or pretend you never said anything about a backhoe. If he need help fixing it, I'm sure I want to try. I haven't wrenched on machinery in a while.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/27/17 9:31 p.m.

In reply to thedanimal:

Next time you make it to town, drop me a line. I'll show you how things look better in pictures than in real life.
Comparing me to your dad feels like a compliment, I'll take it as such.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/27/17 9:34 p.m.
jolsongoude wrote: Wow is all I can say. Another new reader who's spent the last few days reading this entire thread. You have my admiration. PM me if you'd like a couple pair of MN plates. Thanks for the enjoyable read and I'm off back to the R63 thread.

I can't believe you read the whole thing.
Once the R63 gets back together maybe I can get some things going again. I'm getting itchy to make more cabinets.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/30/17 4:28 p.m.

I'm waiting on parts for the R63 and just sort of wandering around in the clutter that has the Grosh has become. I desperately want to build more cabinets so I have places to tuck parts while I wait to put them back on the van.
I thought about it and decided that building more cabinets for the Grosh when I'm five boxes away from making the kitchen usable is bad form. I have a bit of wood left so out came the saw. I'm going to try and get these done in such a way that it doesn't slow down the R63. Parallel projects if you will. We'll see how that goes.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/31/17 7:09 a.m.

The problem with parallel projects is that you now have twice as much E36 M3 to trip over, twice as much work to do, 1/2 the time to work, and exponentially greater chances of them both stalling as you get distracted by a squirrel.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/31/17 7:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: The problem with parallel projects is that you now have twice as much E36 M3 to trip over, twice as much work to do, 1/2 the time to work, and exponentially greater chances of them both stalling as you get distracted by a squirrel.

No greater truth. And essentially explains why I can get nothing done. I have so many projects going on at the same time I have lost track of exactly how many there are. Parallel Project Paralysis.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/31/17 8:20 a.m.

Same here man. Two pro-touring cars, challenge car, house.....

I think I am going to buy an nc miata from insurance auction. Just so I have something to do with my free time.

SQUIRREL!!!!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/31/17 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I agree with everything you said, but......I thought things through this time.
The RSX is gone so that frees up the overhang space that I use to do all of my cutting and drilling and finish work. I also have this space next to the 911 which will someday have cabinets/workbench but had been collecting stuff. Boxes, rally tires, the ladder. All of those things got cleaned up leaving me this nice clean space to put the boxes in while I'm working on them.
Working on one cabinet/set of drawers at a time only takes a little time out of the day and doesn't take up much space which should leave me plenty of R63 time when all of the parts/tools get here. I'm telling you, this is a solid plan to actually get MORE done by increasing my project load.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/17 10:34 a.m.

Bonus of Mrs. Deuce getting to see the steady progress of new cabinets assembling next to (her) THE 911 can't hurt home harmony while the R63 progress continues.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/17 12:21 p.m.

This probably belongs in your other thread, but everytime I read R63, I read it like it is one of the forums replacement words for a bad word.

Maybe R63 could mean something like bitch?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/31/17 2:43 p.m.

In reply to bluej:

It's more that Mrs. Deuce is doing some seriously awesome stuff right now and me working on the kitchen seems like the right thing to do to pull at least a little weight around here.

At this point in the thread more pictures of me edge banding and drilling screw pockets is about as visually interesting as getting poked in the eye, so instead I present an assembled cabinet ready for finishing and drawers that I still need to build.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/31/17 4:46 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Thinkkker: As for you, I either want to be your friend or pretend you never said anything about a backhoe. If he need help fixing it, I'm sure I want to try. I haven't wrenched on machinery in a while.

He is out towards Jasper, and he is building a house now. So if you ever want to do something not at your place and drive a couple hours, you just get in touch.

He said he was gonna go look at the starter on the thing this week too. You be out this weekend Autox'ing?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/17 5:24 p.m.

have we talked about drawer slides yet? or hinges? too busy (lazy?) to go back and search right this sec.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/2/17 2:22 p.m.

Cut and drilled for the drawers. I sort of forgot that it takes almost as much work to build a single drawer as it does a cabinet base. I did get the pleasure of having Mrs. Deuce open this thread on the couch last night and say "wait, you built another cabinet?"
I'm sneaky like that.

I need to order more drawer slides. The ones I'm using are mid range full extension ball bearing slides. I like them a lot. Let me look through my Amazon history and figure out exactly which ones they are.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
2/2/17 6:14 p.m.

I just finished reading through the whole thread... holy E36 M3. You've blown my mind with how far the place has come since you started. I'm actually considering Stick-building my garage now instead of a versatube type structure becuase of this thread.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/2/17 7:05 p.m.

What's kind of cool about stick building is that you can drive to Home Depot (or whatever lumberyard you choose) grab a pile of 2x4's a box of nails, a hammer and a circular saw and you literally have everything you need to get the structure up. Some plywood sheathing and a different box of nails and now it's enclosed. A couple bundles of shingles and a third kind of nails and now it's waterproof. One guy can do it himself over weeks or months learning as he goes along or a skilled group of four or five can make you a building in a couple of days. The building you built should stand for at least a hundred years with regular maintenece and is easily modified by you or anyone else who comes along. The hardest part is navigating code/best practices to make sure the building is safe and legal. It's not any harder to build a building properly, but it can be hard to know what properly is.
Building a building, from scratch, with your own two hands is immensely satisfying.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
2/3/17 10:42 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Sorry, but I'm still on page thirty and was wondering, did the insulation in the roof rafters have a paper backing? I'd be further along with this thread , but it is nice out and I've got a lawn tractor hood to repair ,split some wood, and if time permits maybe start digging stumps out with the BACKHOE(moat).....yes I still play with tractors. Well done mi amigo

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/3/17 11:29 a.m.

The drawer slides I'm using are Glide Rite 20 inch ball bearing full extension slides. They will hold more than I'll ever put in the drawers and they let me get all the way to the back. The 10 pack I get from Amazon is $67 so I have about $100 in slides in the kitchen and probably twice that many in the Grosh when done.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/3/17 11:38 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

It did have paper on it. I can find 10 guys to tell me how to put in insulation one way and 10 guys who swear that's wrong and do it the other. In the end I went paper in with a foil radiant backer against the roof sheathing. I did screw up by not putting in a ridge vent initially but that was fixed later with much swearing.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/17 11:49 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I did screw up by not putting in a ridge vent initially but that was fixed later with much swearing.

I remember that. Good times, good times. At least for us viewers.

1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x01F4D0S5DvUizRhpkYKNFp22bzFKaj9YrBEEVvodCZyNMSyEMX113MtpDIOIT1m