1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 107
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
11/25/17 12:38 p.m.
91BRG said:

Mazdeuce...I just finished reading the 'grosh' thread from the beginning to today.  It has been an inspiration for me to tackle several projects, including a complete makeover of my garage which I am in the middle of now.  Thank you for helping a 67 YO get motivated.

Not sure if I should say "you're welcome" or "I'm sorry to have put you through that". I'm glad you found motivation, but just for reference, I also consider myself in the middle of my garage renovation. I'm not entirely sure there will ever be an end in sight.

In reply to Mellonmorse, Brian Cougar :

My compressor is this one. 15+ year old Craftsman that I brought home in my Focus hatchback. Running continuously it will stay around 50psi while sandblasting. The issue is that it gets hot, which introduces moisture to the air after 10 minutes or so and I have to take a break to let it cool off. It's not ideal and I'm hesitant to say it works, even though it's sort of working.

91BRG
91BRG New Reader
11/25/17 7:45 p.m.

Mazdeuce...did you get any license plates from Kentucky?  I also have some from Louisiana, heaven knows why.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/20/18 2:07 p.m.

Did I buy a new power washer when I needed to wash the house? No, I scrubbed it by hand. 
Did I buy a new power washer when I needed to clean the old floor before I built the Grosh? Nope, still dirtier than I'd like? 
Did I buy a new power washer when Mrs. Deuce wanted me to clean the deck? Not then either, I just waited out the inevitable East Texas rot. 
Why did I finally buy a new power washer? Because of a $500 Subaru with dirty carpets and a 14 year old who wants to clean them. 
Good dad? Bad husband? Potato? Potaato? 

Also a tip, if you want to test your new power washer, test it on the back of the house. If you test it on the front you've pretty much dedicated yourself to finishing or running out of gas, whichever comes sooner. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/22/18 2:17 p.m.

Spring means extending the parking area more. 10 yards of rocks. I'm thinking 20 yards will be enough improvement to make me happy. It's funny that 10 yards of crushed limestone is more expensive that the running Subaru I just bought. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/18 2:21 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It's funny that 10 yards of crushed limestone is more expensive that the running Subaru I just bought. 

That's because it took longer to make, but hopefully not quite as long to return to its base materials.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/22/18 2:46 p.m.

I am surprised you did not buy the dump truck.

Pete

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/22/18 3:12 p.m.

When we got gravel, the truck spread it down our driveway. Of course our driveway is 500' and it was a single pass but the driver probably could have helped you out a bit by spreading even 20'

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/18 3:16 p.m.

when we get gravel I always cringe over how expensive it is. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/22/18 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

I got a quote for paving my 600' driveway. I don't even blink at quotes for gravel every couple of years.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/22/18 3:24 p.m.

Is that what limestone looks like in Texas? At first I thought he was dumping a load of mulch. Ohio limestone almost exclusively looks like this:

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/18 4:22 p.m.
The0retical said:

In reply to Professor_Brap :

I got a quote for paving my 600' driveway. I don't even blink at quotes for gravel every couple of years.

We need about 20 ton of gravel right now just to fix our parking pad. my neighbor had a half mile driveway paved to his house.... I don't even wanna know. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/18 4:54 p.m.

To be dealt with after the Spring thaw.   Over 1/4 mile to the house.   Generally takes a few passes with the York rake to straighten it out.  If not, another tandem load of crushed stone to doll it up.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/23/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Yes, I was a bit shocked too initially. Our limestone is not only crushed, it's decomposing, which is what you'd expect of anything in this part of the south, even rocks. It does make it so that the fines work to cement the rest of it together at it packs down. I've come to prefer it over the northern stuff that stays all pokey and loose. 

It took me a few years, but I've accepted that a gravel driveway that needs fairly constant maintenance is my life down here. Aside from the trees, things just move. This is the road in front of my house. It's sinking. My driveway is doing that in a few spots too. I can't imagine spending the money to pave and then having this happen. I'd be upset. My little corner of the earth is far from static. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
3/23/18 7:03 p.m.

It looks like decomposed granite to me.  Our whole lot is full of it.

Thisoldrustbucket
Thisoldrustbucket
5/13/18 6:32 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I love your grosh build thread! I'll take the XR200 off your hands. I have a 79 XR185. Let me know! 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/20/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Thisoldrustbucket :

Totally missed this. Where are you at, you can come get it!

mazdeuce - Seth
5/23/18 10:36 a.m.

I may have made a fairly significant strategic error. 

When the V wagon sold I decided to move the Volt into the Grosh. The plan was that Mrs. Deuce could get in the car in the morning where it was nice and dry and well lit and not creepy which is the opposite of the overhang. This is good husbanding, yes? Turns out that since then, she's been walking past the set of drawers for the kitchen that I made over a year ago and haven't finished or installed. Every day. Twice a day really. 
When I got back from One Lap she had a pretty convincing line of thought that said that after the summer the whole family was going to get behind dealing with any mess that might occur when I finish the kitchen. In the fall. When I redo the kitchen. When I'm working on the kitchen. This fall. Hmmmmm.............subtle..........

Step 1. Get things cleaned up so that I can use the overhang as a cabinet building/finishing area again. More gravel, bring it up to grade, clean up the crap that has accumulated and get ready for more cabinets. In the fall. 

Spread this, dumpster for the crap, maybe one more load. Good thing Mrs. Deuce is into that "spent the day shoveling gravel" physique. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/23/18 12:15 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce has a way with words, eh? wink

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/18 1:30 p.m.

So what I want to know is, what's Mazdeuce doing this Fall?  It seems pretty unclear from his last post.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/23/18 1:38 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Spring means extending the parking area more. 10 yards of rocks. I'm thinking 20 yards will be enough improvement to make me happy. It's funny that 10 yards of crushed limestone is more expensive that the running Subaru I just bought. 

This looks more like the decomposed granite comprising most of our lot.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/23/18 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA :

Same color as the decomposed granite that I get as well, but it's limestone. If there's one thing that six years of college taught me, it's now to identify rocks. laugh

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/23/18 7:14 p.m.

May i remind you that I'm not that far away and could lend a hand on the 'Seth gets his a$$ in gear ' project......

meaning the sooner you knock this out the sooner you can return to your normal focus on events...wink

mazdeuce - Seth
5/30/18 2:13 p.m.

Dumpster is here. Cleaning up. First kid heading off to college. Nobody has played in the sandbox in years. I'm still sad. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/18 4:13 p.m.

we haven't had a sandbox since 2010.   and this pic still gave me a sad.   things were so much easier 8 years ago.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/30/18 4:49 p.m.

We just got rid of ours as well.

But she still loves climbing the trees. So they aint getting trimmed.

1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 107

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WyfNDccqgkVgImBpikqDjtjODUMO4MuTv2mPvLbuOGOt5JxByXPP7Ah2vQoalnka