1 2 3
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/24/18 9:16 p.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

Looking good. Glad to see some more progress.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/25/18 6:31 a.m.

Good job!  

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
11/25/18 7:09 a.m.

I appreciate the ingenuity and fabrication skills, but I wouldn’t put my family in that on any roads around here.  One inattentive driver in a mega SUV and it’s curtains.  Maybe you live where there are no bad drivers, or no drivers so it isn’t a worry.  There’s a risk I’m willing to personally accept and there is a whole ‘nother level for my kids/grandkids.

Best of luck and stay safe!

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/28/20 4:26 p.m.
maj75 said:

I appreciate the ingenuity and fabrication skills, but I wouldn’t put my family in that on any roads around here.  One inattentive driver in a mega SUV and it’s curtains.  Maybe you live where there are no bad drivers, or no drivers so it isn’t a worry.  There’s a risk I’m willing to personally accept and there is a whole ‘nother level for my kids/grandkids.

Best of luck and stay safe!

I will concede that this is certainly not as safe as a modern car, but I do feel that the steel skin welded to a tube cage that I have done is at least (if not more) robust than the construction of the original Ford body from the 30's that that wanted to build for a family cruiser (not that I'm saying that a Ford body from the 30's would be safe either). That being said, I've taken my kids for occasional top down rides in the Miata (one at a time, of course) which has created some great memories, but I have no illusions that my Miata would have faired very well against a mega SUV either.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
6/28/20 4:28 p.m.

Some more progress to report. Since I am trying to build this car as economically as possible, it would be way too expensive to pay a body shop to paint the car. At some point, I may consider buying an HVLP gun and proper compressor to paint it myself, but for now, I just wanted to get some color on the car as cheap and easy as possible. I picked up some primer and spray paint at Home Depot and started painting the car. Although not perfect, this car was never meant to be a show winner, and the results are good enough for now.

If by "good enough", you mean "great", I agree.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
hlmZNUuQ7wkzUv77thZ4gzYdQJvolgw1ebStQYZ6WBHHA95SJkjq0NjyMgfuNbkW