1 ... 4 5 6 7
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/17 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

I'm pretty sure that this car is going to get a cage in a couple of months.

Woody
1/13/17 8:40 p.m.

When I bought this car, I immediately noticed that the very black fluid in the clutch master cylinder was pretty low, and a few days later, there was a small puddle behind the passenger's side front wheel. It was obvious that the clutch slave cylinder was in need of replacement. Fortunately, new ones are really cheap and I've done the job three times in the past, so I knew what I was up against.

I decided that I would also add a braided steel clutch line at the same time. The new, longer versions of these things replace both the rubber line (which deteriorates and turns your fluid black) and the double coiled portion of the hard line that mounts to the side of the transmission. With the new line, installation is a piece of cake and bleeding the hydraulic clutch line is much easier.

I removed this...

photo IMG_8440_zpsxajzrb1h.jpg

...and replaced it with this:

photo IMG_8441_zpsjpcw17kh.jpg

Along the way, I also invented this tool for removing the pesky cable tie that holds the old line to the wiring harness between the back of the cylinder head and the firewall...

photo IMG_8439_zpsdcuzhzcs.jpg

...and removed this little bracket because it wasn't really needed anymore and was slicing the E36 M3 out of my hands.

photo IMG_8442_zpsiz6vhs5r.jpg

New system in situ:

photo IMG_8443_zps8izuxf5b.jpg

photo IMG_8444_zpsjwuldked.jpg

photo IMG_8445_zps0vcwp0jn.jpg

Woody
1/13/17 9:17 p.m.

Before tossing the old slave cylinder into the recycling bin, I pulled off the rubber boot and found that it was full of fluid, thus confirming its leakyness. I think the new one was less than $15.

Woody
1/14/17 5:12 p.m.

No photos, but this morning I refilled the cooling system. It took forever for the thermostat to open because the car was outside and it was only 20 degrees out, but once it did, I topped it off and took the car for a ride. No leaks (Woo-hoo!).

The idle is a little low, so I need to adjust that, along with the timing. I'll probably tackle that on Monday morning if the weather is good.

I also jacked the car up and pulled the wheels off. After struggling with the passenger's front wheel during the timing belt job, I suspected that I might have some trouble with the other three as well. Sure enough, they were all fused to the brake discs. A few whacks with a rubber mallet freed them all up, and then I hit the mounting surfaces with a wire brush, put a little grease on there and then bolted them back on.

Woody
1/14/17 5:23 p.m.

When I bought the car, it was missing the battery hold down assembly. The battery is fairly new, but it was pretty clear that it had been flopping around in the trunk for a while. Subsequently, the negative battery cable was badly frayed at both ends.

photo IMG_8452_zpsmd0i78jg.jpg

photo IMG_8453_zpsxkvk9nxl.jpg

The cable is crimped right into the wiring harness, but I knew that it needed to be replaced. I cut it away from the original crimped fitting. The battery probably won't notice the difference.

photo IMG_8455_zpskeggie5g.jpg

photo IMG_8456_zpslpnsstau.jpg

I grabbed a new cable from Auto Zone for $7, found a longer bolt and lock washer in the Big Bucket of Miata Hardware and bolted it through the harness fitting and into the original grounding point.

photo IMG_8457_zps13xr0ehj.jpg

Woody
1/19/17 10:30 p.m.

I finally got a chance to use my *brand new inductive timing light. I bought it to replace the old 110v light that my Dad bought back in the 60's. His old light was always so much brighter that the 12v DC lights I'd used, and while it worked great for my Mustangs, the coil(spring)-on-plug design was kind of hard to use with spark plugs that are hidden deep down in the valve covers of modern cars. As I went down to the basement to get the old light, I was thinking that it was about time to upgrade to an inductive light. I guess that I did, about ten years ago. The unopened box was sitting on the shelf under the old light.

photo IMG_8474_zpsgdaskcun.jpg

Good news: The new light is nice and bright too.

The baseline timing was way off, and the idle was all screwed up (probably to compensate for the stretched out, twenty two year old timing belt that I just replaced), but once I got the idle dialed in, I advanced the timing to 14 degrees BTDC.

I have made the commitment to Premium Fuel.

This engine is humming along nicely now.

Woody
1/19/17 11:14 p.m.

I decided that I didn't want to sacrifice my nice carpeted mat to the mud and snow. I had hoped to buy a set of WeatherTech Floor Liners like the ones that I love so much in my truck, but alas, they do not make them for early Miatas.

*Note to David MacNeil: I love your products, but this is the third sportscar that I have wanted to buy your Floor Liners for, but they are not available (NB Miata, BMW Z3, and now an NA Miata). Yes, I understand that they are all old cars, but they are enthusiast cars that have huge aftermarket support and probably a disproportionate amount of enthusiast cash showered upon them compared to many current vehicles.

Anyway, back to our story...

The NB Miata and the BMW both got Lloyd's RubberTite mats. The BMW was eventually deemed WayTooNice to drive in the winter, so they never came out of the box. For some reason, Lloyd makes BMW mats in tan, but the Miata mats only come in black. Fortunately, the BMW has more legroom than the Miata, so I traced out the shape I needed and cut down the BMW mat to fit.

I may be cheap, but I'm color coordinated.

photo IMG_8505_zpsa08h99fi.jpg

photo IMG_8507_zpskhbdzczw.jpg

photo IMG_8508_zpspt0r0js1.jpg

photo IMG_8509_zpskjwckqqy.jpg

Woody
1/19/17 11:21 p.m.

I wanted to mount a fire extinguisher in the car, and I planned to remove the passenger's seat for extra cargo capacity when I travel to these events anyway, so I made a simple, easily removable mount out of the lower section of an old seat slider. The lower rail from the tunnel side would have been preferable, but I didn't have one so this will do for now.

photo IMG_8518_zpsbdswzazp.jpg

photo IMG_8526_zps6dznqrg9.jpg

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/20/17 5:43 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Nice! I like your extinguisher mount. I'm still not sure where to put one in the Vette, so it may end up mounted to the floor directly in front of the passenger seat.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/20/17 4:57 p.m.

The red wires looked faster, but ice racer, blue, makes sense.

Woody
1/20/17 5:05 p.m.

I wasn't super happy with this arrangement. The reach wasn't as bad as it might appear in the photo, but I didn't like having the nozzle pointed downhill. I had visions of the powder packing itself up high and wasting the charge when I pull the trigger.  photo IMG_8526_zps6dznqrg9.jpg The reason that I mounted it over there in the first place was that I had a section of seat bracket that only fit on that side. A more thorough search of the basement turned up another modified bracket that would fit on the tunnel side. It's worth noting for anyone who might be thinking about doing the same thing to their own Miata that these were both driver's side brackets. You should be able to make either driver's or passenger's side brackets work, though you may need to chop off the locating pins on the underside. These are just the lower section of the factory seat rails with the sliders removed. They are three pieces that are riveted together. I probably could have cut a little metal away and ground it down a bit to save an extra 1/4 of a pound, but I doubt that it would be enough to overcome nearly 1/8 a ton of driver ineptitude that the car will soon be subjected to.  photo IMG_8527_zpshujptni5.jpg  photo IMG_8529_zpsxmsv15y3.jpg  photo IMG_8530_zps5s8bsqxi.jpg

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/21/17 11:04 a.m.

Do you still need a front plate bracket? I found one today in the garage from my old NB in near perfect condition, you can have it for shipping cost if it works for you

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/21/17 12:29 p.m.
Woody wrote: Before tossing the old slave cylinder into the recycling bin, I pulled off the rubber boot and found that it was full of fluid, thus confirming its leakyness. I think the new one was less than $15.

The new slave set up looks great. Where did you get it from?

Woody
1/21/17 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Sonic:

Gah!! I just ordered a new one, but thanks anyway. Put it on eBay. There seem to be a lot of people looking for them.

I live in a town with zero actual crime, so every week the police report in the newspaper is filled with people who got pulled over for no front plate.

Woody
1/21/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired:

The slave cylinder came from Rock Auto and the braided line came from 949 Racing. The slave was about $15 but the line was about $40.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/21/17 12:40 p.m.

Can you reach the extinguisher where you have it mounted?

Unless the rules state you must have one in the car, they're fairly useless mounted somewhere you can't immediately put your hand on it.

I'd rather bail out of the car vs fumble around trying to get the extinguisher...

Woody
1/21/17 1:16 p.m.

In reply to docwyte: Yes, it's very easy to reach in either location, but I won't be sitting inside a burning car trying to put the fire out.

Woody
1/21/17 1:21 p.m.

If everyone has a fire extinguisher in their car and someone else gets trapped inside a burning car, others can stop and potentially save a life. The cumulative effect of several 2.5 pound extinguishers could be enough to change someone's day dramatically.

Woody
1/21/17 8:10 p.m.

I polished the tail lights with Meguiar's #17, followed by Meguiar's #10. It took about ten minutes to do both sides.

Here's sort of a before and after on opposite lights because they were the best pictures that I had.

photo IMG_8540_zpspdmpxiz3.jpg

photo IMG_8538_zpsnam3twtp.jpg

The lights came out better than the photos indicate.

Woody
1/29/17 5:33 p.m.

A few months back, I decided to take a chance on a set of used Koni shocks from California. They were described as "like new", but when they arrived, they looked a little rough. Even so, they were only $200 shipped and came complete with a set of stock '96 springs and tophats, so I still think it was a fair deal.

photo IMG_8249_zps7uwpqsf1.jpg

The original bumpstops are integrated into the shock boots, and they had clearly exceeded their useful life.

Some people choose to go without shock boots, but I live on a dirt road so I like to have them on there. I ordered a generic set of four boots off of eBay for about $20.

A very generous GRM'er donated set of gently used Flyin' Miata bumpstops to the project. Many thanks!

So today I finally got around to cleaning up the used shocks and putting everything together. In the interest of a quick swap, I decided to use the '96 springs rather than my original '95s, even though I've been informed that the '96 springs sit pretty high. To compensate for that, I dropped the spring perches down one notch on the shocks. That still leaves me one more notch, in case I want to go lower at a later date.

I do not like working with spring compressors...

photo IMG_8566_zps9ldjgiwc.jpg

photo IMG_8564_zpsgdvulwsp.jpg

photo IMG_8565_zps0dooj2g6.jpg

photo IMG_8568_zpsqhcyjxiu.jpg

photo IMG_8569_zpsdqerk6s1.jpg

Woody
1/29/17 5:34 p.m.

This is all that was left of the four original shock boots.

photo IMG_8570_zpsynndkxch.jpg

Woody
1/30/17 4:31 p.m.

Rear shocks are in.

photo IMG_8573_zpsqiforirp.jpg

Woody
2/2/17 7:00 p.m.

Time to tackle the front shocks and bring the nose of the car down to a level that works with the tail.

I took the "long bolt" approach...

photo IMG_8578_zpsgrsbntj3.jpg

The driver's side took about an hour and a half, the passenger's side took 15 minutes.

photo IMG_8579_zpsiii1bddh.jpg

I haven't even driven it to settle the suspension yet, but it's already sitting noticeably lower than it was this morning. Maybe not the best thing for the snow, but it fits in with my long term plan.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/11/17 2:06 p.m.

Interested in selling the cruise control parts? The cruise doesn't work anymore in my car, and no one has any idea how to diagnose them or figure them out, and I frequently take loooong roadtrips in my car, so I miss it.

Woody
2/16/17 7:28 p.m.

I got myself a few Valentine's Day gifts: A set of Flyin' Miata sway bars and a pair of Planted race seat brackets.

photo IMG_8608_zpslxvgrelr.jpg

Even though the sway bars aren't exactly what I need for the ice, I was getting a little tire rub on the left front at full lock now that the car is sitting lower. Installation went very smoothly and there was an immediate noticeable improvement.

I haven't messed around with the seat brackets yet, but I'm very excited about them. I am thrilled that there are finally some simple, low seat mounting options out there for these cars. I'm looking forward to dropping them in and taking some measurements so I can get a better idea of which seat to order.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4i4LhMLRRDkvE2dmb0YxkCxKsK5gcLAciGoJMipnaXzF5qqLdi9GEGVK5auR6Lxt