1 2 3 4
MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
6/12/20 3:36 p.m.

I got pretty bogged down with clutch details on my Renault, and I decided to get started on a new project. I've been designing this thing in solidworks whenever I've had downtime or can't get out to the garage to work on the Renault. I posted about it awhile ago, when I was thinking id do a modern transverse V6, but I've gone a bit off the deep end since then. I bought a never-rebored 4bolt 350 SBC locally(the guy thought it was a large journal 2 bolt main 327) as well as a richmond 2.43 1st super T-10, Winters Sprint Quick change, an IDF manifold, 15x10 & 15x8 TorqThrust Ds, 295/50/15 tires for the rear, 255 fronts, and a set of trickflow heads and a cam(its their advertised 420hp top end kit)

I'll be doing a DOM tube frame and a hammerformed 3003 alu body(luckily, there isnt much bodywork to it)

I'm basing the transaxle off the Bob McKee recipe, but a richmond super t-10 instead of the borg-warner, and a winters sprint instead of a halibrand 201. This does mean i loose reverse out of the maincase(output shaft coming from the quick change to the pinion has to occupy the space of the reverse layshaft ), but I can probably get a reverse gear between the trans output and the qc(4 forward speeds AND 4 reversedevil)

maybe i can linkage it so it will only go in reverse if its in 1st.

But anyway, someone brilliant here did a 3d scan with a kinect and I gave it a shot for scanning my transaxle parts. Not dimensionally accurate, but damn good enough for a placeholder in the model! 

Also I printed some 50mm IDF style throttle bodies as well as a mold to sand cast them in aluminum. 

I also am planning on white180 deg headers. I have them within .5" of each other in the CAD at 41" primary length 

Ill get into some more detailed stuff but I wanted to throw this out into the aether because Im pretty excited about it

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/12/20 3:52 p.m.

I love the cad , I assume you do CAD  at work , 

are there  any throttle bodies  off a production car that has a bolt on base like the Webers ?

I am much more impressed with all this than kitty is.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/12/20 5:12 p.m.

I'll be following this one closely.

The proportions of the CAD model look great!

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/20 5:44 p.m.

Wow, looks like an awesome start.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/20 5:54 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I love the cad , I assume you do CAD  at work , 

are there  any throttle bodies  off a production car that has a bolt on base like the Webers ?

None come to mind, by Jenvey, Borla and others make them ready to go with fuel rails, etc. for DCOE/DCNF/IDF, etc.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/12/20 6:26 p.m.

Holy cats. At first I was pretty mad that the Renault got moved back in priority...But after seeing the parts and rendering, I'm not even mad. 

+/-.5" on your headers is pretty darn good. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/12/20 6:55 p.m.

Subbed, for sure

MarshHoltRacing
6/12/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Jenvey & borla has a set but i just cant justify the 1200$ for the set. I really want to be sub 10k into this build(yeah right) Ive cast a few TBs before and I have some ideas to do short production run. Its kinda what i do professionally, but alot more fun

MarshHoltRacing
6/12/20 9:41 p.m.

i know! I need to get back to the renault. It ought to be proper fast. But i have to come up with a cable clutch linkage for it and after having to rebuy a few clutches because i didnt know what year renaults had what clutch, i got a bit disheartened. SBCs and old school domestic parts are soooo much easier than obscure vintage french parts

Mezzanine said:

Holy cats. At first I was pretty mad that the Renault got moved back in priority...But after seeing the parts and rendering, I'm not even mad. 

+/-.5" on your headers is pretty darn good. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/20 7:10 a.m.

SO in for this.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/14/20 9:46 p.m.

Subbed. Very similar looking to what I want to do with my Boxster, the differences being mine will be road legal and you know what you're doing.

MarshHoltRacing
8/25/20 9:29 p.m.

So ready to start cutting tube. 

Very cool!

Your surface work in SW is terrific.  I wish I was better at it.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 9:09 a.m.

Machinery's Handbook FTW

also, i super dig those headers. i wanted to do something similar for MonZora but i fear it would take me forever to execute.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/20 9:28 a.m.

I am pilling on the desire to follow along on this one.  I'm loving the mix of Xbox Kinnect 3d Scanning, 3D Printing, a T10, Iron Block V8 and Cooper Radial GT tires.    It's just so "I'm going to build what I want".   

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/20 10:20 a.m.

I like this build so much. I desperately want something in this vein. Hell, I've been threatening the girlfriend with selling off most of the fleet and building a lotus 49.

stroker
stroker UberDork
8/26/20 10:40 a.m.

I'd like to know more about your drivetrain hardware.  I'm not familiar with the gearbox/differential and how I might be able to source something similar.

This has a terrific '60's/early Can-Am vibe!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
8/26/20 11:15 a.m.

Cripes this looks like it's going to be impressive. Hell, it already is!

What a cool assortment of parts. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 11:22 a.m.

Oh, E36 M3.

This will be dangerous to my wallet....

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/26/20 11:44 a.m.

You'll definitely be able to outrun those gleaming alloy air cars that are two lanes wide.

Following along!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Only if it's red.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/20 1:21 p.m.

Wow!  Like a CanAm car. Very cool. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
8/26/20 1:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Now it has to be red... even if we have to put it to a vote.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
8/26/20 2:18 p.m.

You may want to look at zx12r throttle bodies. They use a 2 bolt flanged rubber base with a hose clamp to the throttle body.

They are 46mm iirc.

Sean

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AH7YgQTyY4GRylYor8FjNugdpHjcfiGAgZYV7ASgcVPBBUzBXXLe21UQWqcSM716