1 2 3 4
RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
8/27/20 3:39 p.m.

I'm interested in how the transaxle is going to turn out.   A late friend of mine had a McKee trans in his Genie, I never did see it run but it sure was a interesting, albeit scary, race car.

In regards to colours, what about blue and yellow along the lines of the Penske Sunoco Lola T70?

Mclaren_man
Mclaren_man
8/30/20 4:28 p.m.

McLaren  papaya orange.

stroker
stroker UberDork
8/31/20 12:30 p.m.
Mclaren_man said:

McLaren  papaya orange.

It does look a bit like a Mk1, dunnit?

MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
8/31/20 6:10 p.m.

got started on the frame. Main hoop is 1.75"x.095". Honestly, ill see how my hammerforming turns out before deciding on a color. I think id rather not paint it if possible. There is a bare metal Lister V8 car that frequents laguna seca that I love

MarshHoltRacing
9/1/20 12:40 a.m.

After cutting the first couple tubes, I realized I needed to resolve the chassis design a bit more to have it a bit more straight forward to put together.

Base construction

With triangulation/lasered sheet hardpoints

MarshHoltRacing
9/4/20 12:50 a.m.

cleaning up the scuttle/dash area in the model. I hops to get some progress this weekend on the frame

Very cool.  Great looking fab shop - I envy anyone with space to work.  Details?

MarshHoltRacing
9/4/20 11:18 a.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

Very cool.  Great looking fab shop - I envy anyone with space to work.  Details?

We design and build robotic harvesting equipment up in Northern California.  Most of our CNC equipment is homemade because we are cheap. The Matso in the back is drip-fed by a laptop. We just got a 95 Ton Press Brake that Im pretty excited to use for this project. The shop is a blend of company equipt and the engineers personal equipt, because we all love tools lol

MarshHoltRacing
9/4/20 11:35 a.m.

This is Preston the Driess-Krumpf flywheel press brake. Sounds like the Millennium Falcon when it starts up

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

All presses should have googly eyes!

Azryael
Azryael Reader
9/4/20 12:22 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I second this.

MarshHoltRacing
9/7/20 5:45 p.m.

Ohh man this is going to be a tiny car

cruisermatt
cruisermatt New Reader
9/7/20 8:59 p.m.

beautiful modeling and work so far, but one issue I'm seeing is the front upper shock mounts are mounted mid tube... can you run a brace over, or through, that fuel tank? More pics of the modeling for the rear shock mounts and that bolt-on rear suspension brace please. 

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/7/20 9:10 p.m.

We had a similar mount design on an FSAE car for the front shock mounts (tab mounted mid tube). We ended up having a torsion failure in one of the tubes. It was strong enough in bending but actually failed due to fatigue from twisting. I would add some kind of cross brace to prevent both bending and twisting. 

MarshHoltRacing
9/7/20 11:37 p.m.

Good to know! I was thinking about a removable brace that spans over the tank. Ill add it into the model before i send the flat sheet parts out to get lasered

cruisermatt
cruisermatt New Reader
9/8/20 6:42 a.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

I'm going to guess you did what most do when designing something like this, started with the chassis, then did the suspension? Pretty common, but the real way to go about a car like this is determine the perfect tire, then the suspension to use that tire most effectively, then connect all the suspension together with one big bracket (chassis) that has the least compliance possible. Then figure out where to put a engine, fuel system, driver, etc, those are just details :) 

MarshHoltRacing
9/8/20 10:30 a.m.

Nope, I got the tires and wheels in a size I like(15" arent as cheap or common as they used be, especially wide ones in a 50 profile) and designed the susp to them. I used that to determine the 4 longitudinal frame tubes for the front and rear. I then placed all the large components in the model to see how practical the packaging was and went back and fourth. Might not be the "real" way, but it'll work for me.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/9/20 6:58 a.m.

Y'know, I kinda wish you'd posted this and surveyed The Hive to see if anyone else wanted to build one.  Then maybe you could have built two or three (?) cars while you were building yours and had your "customers" subsidize the material cost of building yours.   I know, liability, liability, yadda, yadda, yadda...  It still would have been neat seeing two or three of these being built simultaneously. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/9/20 7:02 a.m.

Marsh, how did you go about designing the suspension?  CAD for measurement & movement arcs to test virtually, how did you go about things like roll center, anti-squat, anti-dive, etc?  Have you done this before?  Suspension design always seems intimidating and a bit of getting the design close but a ton of minor tweaking to get it really right.

jdogg
jdogg Reader
9/9/20 7:30 a.m.

It's going to be a baby Can-Am car, love it.

I would definitely go with a higher-compression bottom end on that 350 if possible, not sure if it's smog-era or not, the good thing is that it has limitless aftermarket. I've always wanted to build a car like this but with a V12

jdogg
jdogg Reader
9/9/20 7:33 a.m.

Colors, you can't go wrong with Martini Racing, I know its a bit busy but it looks good on everything, my track car is getting the Martini treatment

MarshHoltRacing
9/9/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Yes solidworks sketches, playing with VSusp, as well as comparing to other known, successful VSusp layouts on the locost forum. I'm not pretending to know what I am doing, but I think it will be a stable enough suspension to start with. Heck, its only metal, I can cut it off an redo it if I need to. 

jdogg, I would but Im trying to keep the scope creep down for now. I have about 3k into the motor, 1k into the transaxle(still needs a few custom 4340 shafts), and 2k into tubing, wheels and chassis parts. Hoping to stay under 10-12k. We'll see!

csdilligaf
csdilligaf New Reader
9/9/20 2:39 p.m.

I'm going to enjoy this build.  I've done a couple very similar but with 914 fiberglass body's.  Your's look great.  What are you planing on using for the uprights?   What is the wheelbase?   Should be fun fer' sure.

MarshHoltRacing
9/9/20 4:09 p.m.
csdilligaf said:

I'm going to enjoy this build.  I've done a couple very similar but with 914 fiberglass body's.  Your's look great.  What are you planing on using for the uprights?   What is the wheelbase?   Should be fun fer' sure.

Thanks. Its 96" wheelbase. Im brewing up a sheetmetal design with tube sleeves for the s-10 and corvette sealed wheel bearing units. For brakes, im looking for some dual pistons that will fit in a 15" wheel. I'd prefer a lightwieght OEM caliper if anyone has any ideas

Shavarsh
Shavarsh New Reader
9/9/20 11:07 p.m.

The PBR front caliper from a new edge mustang might be worth a look. They almost fit (they would with some massaging) in the 15" bassett wheels I have with a mustang rotor (10.8"). I'm assuming other wheels have more room.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zmUtBh7NC3TIJ5KFnkoHKja8bFF7sKV2xIslpOwTJWzxjiNPeoYVtowhWH8enVZ4