akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/22/19 6:32 a.m.

What I have is a trailer that was custom built to haul two personal watercraft.  What I want from it is to haul four kayaks easily and two more occasionally.  Thoughts are to add a two level T bar so I can put two kayaks on the bed, two on the first T and two more on top of that.  I have some J holders for the base level and may get some for the next level up leaving the top flat for other types of boats also.

This is primarily for my mom to use, but will be left at the cabin for whoever is there. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/22/19 6:36 a.m.

Five feet wide, 32" from the back to the first cross beam, 66" to the next, 80" to where the tongue angle starts another 23" to the box.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/22/19 6:38 a.m.

You mean something like this?

That appears to be made from welded aluminum, but I would imagine something similar and cheaper could be made from wood.  Between Philly and Princeton, NJ we see trailers like these all the time hauling rowing shells.  

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/22/19 6:41 a.m.

Like that with only two raised cross bars, made from .125 wall 1.5" square tube welded to the trailer.

With these on the bottom and first raised level, for ease of loading for old ladies.

I don't have a Kayak with me to test fit, anyone know how much room I need to fit one off hand.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/19 7:25 a.m.

It looks wide enough to use the stackers you picture back to back in the middle and another pair farther out and just have all 4 down low.  Mount them to cross bars and bolt the assembly to the trailer 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/19 7:42 a.m.

I like the kayak saddles that Akylekoz posted, but have concerns how they sit long term.  The only thing worse than stinky, stagnant rain water inside your kayak, is stinky, stagnant rain water that freezes and splits the hull. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
4/22/19 8:16 a.m.
akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/22/19 9:31 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Good call, this will be just for transporting them, if they are getting left on the trailer we'll put them on upside down.  I will probably make a storage rack out of round lumber that last years storm delivered for me.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/30/19 12:50 p.m.

I made some T bars, next I'll attach them to the trailer.

I know the gussets are not in tension, but it's where I wanted them.  My local new and used material shop has premade gussets and AR500 targets.   They do a great job of cutting to size also, make building stuff kind of like cheating.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/19 1:54 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/30/19 2:10 p.m.

I have a bunch of that extruded aluminum laying around, looks like a good way to add some extras.   I like the wire cloth basket idea, that may happen.

Paddles, where will I put the paddles?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LRKxjwlCohupuAB3U7Iya9qyVyI4pOgNOGpqbJy5SxKosH9hkVLmsTdVQotITIZa