1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 124
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/19 1:13 p.m.

Lunch in shop >> lunch at desk

Have 10 pieces cut, of a total of 12.  I did not take measurements for the last 2, will do tonight. With these permanently attached (tonight’s goal), I can bring in outside help for things like routing and flaring brake tubes, cleaning and painting some things, etc, while I cut and fit the last 2 vert supports and a crossmember for the rear, from which I might hang the transaxle and exhaust. Not sure about that yet.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
10/12/19 10:37 a.m.

I’m down for that type of work again Patrick.  

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I’m here all weekend.  And all next week.  And all next weekend.  And two days after that.  ;-)

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 7:24 p.m.

8:21 PM Saturday 12-Oct-2019:  Stampie wins.  I’m finally going to say it: there’s no way MonZora is going to be done for this year’s Challenge.  I will continue doing everything I can to get it done, but I’ve accepted that it is impossible without more than one miracle.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
10/12/19 7:31 p.m.

Parking lot? Need more Porsche parts?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/19 7:59 p.m.

berkeley. I know that feeling. I'm so sorry... :(

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/12/19 8:01 p.m.

It's ok his Sonoma will do well in the Gastropod Class, even though we would all love to see the Corvair.  Parking lot finish...

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/12/19 8:05 p.m.

Say it ain't so, Joe...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/19 8:13 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/12/19 8:16 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

8:21 PM Saturday 12-Oct-2019:  Stampie wins.  I’m finally going to say it: there’s no way MonZora is going to be done for this year’s Challenge.  I will continue doing everything I can to get it done, but I’ve accepted that it is impossible without more than one miracle.

I didn't win. You won with your stubborn will to continue on against the odds. I'll have a drink for you at my bar.

aselmike
aselmike New Reader
10/12/19 8:52 p.m.

Don’t give up! You can do it!

Next time you have Analysis paralysis remember these rules:

1. Its better to do something and fail, than do nothing. At least when you fail you learn something

2. Once you start doing something, do it confidently at full speed. Don’t second guess yourself.

3. Don’t get down on your self or discouraged. 

You’re cranking through this stuff! Don’t slow down! 

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I appreciate that.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
10/12/19 9:28 p.m.
aselmike said:

Next time you have Analysis paralysis remember these rules:

1. Its better to do something and fail, than do nothing. At least when you fail you learn something

2. Once you start doing something, do it confidently at full speed. Don’t second guess yourself.

3. Don’t get down on your self or discouraged. 

You’re cranking through this stuff! Don’t slow down!

Actually, I expect it took a lot for him to come to the decision to make that statement. This is an awesome project, but life is more than completing a project for a deadline. An innovative project like this takes time and dedication. Rushing at the end probably isn't the best way to complete it.

After a moment to reflect, I really hope that Patrick can take some time to relax and appreciate the progress he's made. Monzora 2020!

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 9:58 p.m.
AAZCD said:
aselmike said:

Actually, I expect it took a lot for him to come to the decision to make that statement.

You got that right, my friend.

After a moment to reflect, I really hope that Patrick can take some time to relax and appreciate the progress he's made.

I can indeed.  I have learned a ton, some from seeing how others do stuff and some from fixing my own mistakes.  I could say “If this and if that,” and my Dad would say “If my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.”

Monzora 2020!

Hells yes!

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 10:04 p.m.

For the record, I’m not giving up. And until I leave for the Challenge on Wednesday 10/23, I’m not slowing down. I will get MonZora as close to done as I can. Expect updates pretty much daily. It was cold here today, and I don’t like working in the cold, so I have to get it driveable before Winter!

AngryCorvair
10/12/19 10:30 p.m.

Progress was slow today. Yesterday I cut 10 pieces of rectangle tube to attach C5 frame section to Corvair unibody. This morning I jumped into final adjustment and fitting these tubes, and none of them fit. WTF? My dumb ass marked the RH parts LH and vice versa. Because I was facing the rear of the car when I marked them. Swapped side to side and bam! 7 of 10 fit nice. 3 came out too short and cut at the wrong angles. Not sure what happened there.

My welds looked good on the easy-access bits, but I just couldn’t get my eyes close enough to some of the joints and I really struggled to get decent beads. Also, there were times where I guess the arc flash sensor was obstructed and the lens didn’t darken quickly, so I wound up having to abort a few attempts. More progress pix:

Had to take a Future Hammer Store break because my flap disc was gritless from overwork. Bought another angle grinder ($10) so I can keep one with cutoff wheel and the other with flap disc, instead of interrupting work to change discs a bunch of times.

Got 2 vert supports tacked on each side, and worked a little on getting some of the lat/long supports attached:

Drivers side fits great, pass side is too short and cut at wrong angle.  I’ll cut it out and make a new piece. Still, it was tied together enough for this to happen:

So yeah, first time with weight on both C4 front and C5 rear together. Solid rods in place of rear shocks to hold suspension at ride height, because I haven’t narrowed the rear leaf yet. Camber and toe are off. Even with the Go_Gators UCA mod, the 6mm wheel spacer required for C4 rims to clear C5 brakes mean 285 on 9.5” sawblade is still really close to fender lip, and I’ll probably have to trim about 1/2”.

I pushed her forward and back about a foot so I can say she’s a roller.  ;-)

aselmike
aselmike New Reader
10/13/19 6:11 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Nice! How are you going to narrow the leaf?

aselmike
aselmike New Reader
10/13/19 6:27 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Sorry if my post gave the wrong vibe. I wasn’t trying to minimize his decision. Just trying to show some support and share how I sometimes deal with difficult decisions. 

I know how tough what he’s doing is, and I believe in this project! Monzora 20-whenever-it-gets-done

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/13/19 8:00 a.m.

Support

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 8:21 a.m.

I commiserate with you, other Patrick 

AngryCorvair
10/13/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to aselmike :

1. I appreciate the encouragement. :-)

2. Spring attachments to chassis are via rubber cushions bonded to the spring and clamped to subframe. Fixing that is easy, just carefully slice the cushion away from spring:

It helps to have either a paranoid_android or a Hong Norr t-shirt available for this operation. Having both virtually guarantees success. Then reuse the cushions at the revised clamp locations.

The ends look like this:

So I will use a hole saw to open up a new hole about 2.5” center to center from old hole, then use steel support as guide for locating and drilling the small through-holes that retain the sandwich via long rivets. Not sure about those rivets yet, might have to improvise something.

AngryCorvair
10/13/19 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Robbie and Patrick :

i guess the left-hand horns are now a pink ribbon of sorts.  Y’all made me LOL.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 9:01 a.m.

Machine screws instead of rivets

AngryCorvair
10/13/19 9:17 a.m.
Patrick said:

Machine screws instead of rivets

Dang, look at the big brain on you!  That’s a great idea.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
10/13/19 12:32 p.m.

I'm so sorry our plans for vegan awesomeness didn't work out yesterday.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXPEZXtPNzy2q6wEoEzCA4avGjgnS747L3Xcc0PxYRwgQOEfJJbd6jGmp1alMYrY