1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 124
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/19 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yeah, those guys are way more skilled than I am. I’m at the beginning of my fab life, and I aspire to someday be worthy of carrying their toolboxes.

AngryCorvair
9/16/19 6:25 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I like that this thread isn't "going black".

Keep moving. Awesome stuff.

I like to explain the way I approach things and get feedback from people who have been down these roads.  I might black out next year’s paint scheme, but that’s about it.  I will update this thread until the car is either done or gone.

AngryCorvair
9/16/19 9:20 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

You can support #13 if you want! Need a guy to clean wheelwells....

Sure man, I’ll help lift one rear quarter so it’ll do a burnout.

AngryCorvair
9/16/19 9:27 p.m.

Didn’t do much tonight, mostly just cleaned up the workspace and put tools away, replaced the broken frunk trim with a $5 used piece I picked up at the Detroit Area Corvair Club’s annual Homecoming event a few weeks ago.  Took a couple pix that I kinda like.  

Definitely not a threat yet, but I feel pretty good — probably better than I should — about my chances.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/19 8:35 a.m.

Good to see the updates, was hoping you had gone "dark" due to working on the car and not having time to post updates. Keep them coming!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
9/17/19 1:29 p.m.

God I love sawblades (and salad shooters)

When ever I see them on CL I want to buy them. I have nothing to put them on but I figure it would be a good start. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/17/19 1:41 p.m.

this thread gives me chills. its AWESOME. 

AngryCorvair
9/17/19 11:34 p.m.

Moar flywheel p0rn:

SBC hub with Audi clutch kit. Step on OD will receive starter ring gear. Tomorrow it will be drilled for replaceable friction plate, then we’ll test fit it to the engine. Tony absolutely killed it on this one.

Also:

Huge rectangle tube was C5 rear crash beam. Cut the desired width out of it, then tacked a piece of angle to each corner on one side of the cut.  My idea, ClassicJackets’ cuts and tacks.  This served as alignment jig for getting it all back together properly in narrowed form.

whiskey_business finished rear subframe today, so, yeah, narrowed C5 rear suspension is becoming a thing, I guess.  Then i flipped it over and just pondered it for a bit. I wanted to set the transaxle down on it but didn’t feel like putting the cherry picker together, so I settled for thinking about exhaust packaging:

The C7 pipes aren’t a good fit as is, but I think I figured out how to make them work.  The C4 cats, OTOH, I have not figured out how to package yet.

36 days.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/19 8:18 a.m.

Cats? What kind of car is this? ;) 

AngryCorvair
9/18/19 9:03 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Cats? What kind of car is this? ;) 

This just in:  hotrods don't have to stink!

AngryCorvair
9/18/19 10:50 p.m.

Great night in the garage tonight.  I was rearranging things for the next big push when my buddy Jay stopped by.  He’s smart AF and always has a different way of looking at things, so we work well together.  Went from this:

to this:

and then spent a good bit of time figuring out some of this:

We came up with solid ideas for shift cable routing, attachment, and linkages which will put the throws to each gear about 2” fore or aft of neutral and about 3/4” of cross-travel between gates.  We also pretty much figured out C5 frame attachment to Corvair rails, and transaxle mounting that will simplify R&R’ing the powertrain.

Challenge train heads south in 35 days.  Choo choo, bitches!

JT
JT None
9/19/19 7:24 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

If I was truly as intelligent as you state, I certainly would have joined the GRM community much sooner... better late than never I suppose

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 7:54 a.m.

In reply to JT :

welcome, brother!  yeah, since you're as OG as me with Challenge cars, it is about time.  time to start a Nova build thread... or an LT1 S10 build thread... or a house build thread...

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/19/19 11:15 a.m.

I can't wait to see this car completed.  Are you willing to share any paint ideas with us?  My vote is for a few cans of rustoleum and a Martini racing paint job.  

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 12:20 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

I’ve been sharing my paint ideas in every pic!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
9/19/19 12:31 p.m.

Awesome and ambitious build!  Love it! 

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 2:52 p.m.
jmc14 said:

Awesome and ambitious build!  Love it! 

That is high praise coming from you!  I am honored, and I will try to not disappoint.

AngryCorvair
9/19/19 10:37 p.m.

Garage Tetris takes too much working time.  I need more space!

With that out of the way (see what I did there?), I cleaned up some of the C5 frame and some 2x2 angle, and burned in a couple of braces so I can cut off the crash beam and part of each side rail.

Welds look pretty good to me:

I planned out where to cut, but didn’t make any cuts because it was quiet time in my attached garage. So I did quiet stuff, like ponder the cooling system and post a question in the aerodynamics forum.  And drag the 285/40 street tires out to see how they look.  They look huge.

Motorcycle jack FTW.  Outer sidewall is touching lip.  Inner sidewall is touching OE Corvair shock mount, which is no longer needed. Once I cut those shock mounts out, there’s room for almost 13” of section width.

Now I’m hoping we narrowed the rear enough, but we couldn’t go (much) narrower because of transaxle packaging. Rear Sawblades are 17x9.5” ET56. Not sure if there’s another cheap rim out there that might be same width with more positive offset.  Maybe C5 or C6 but that means no more Sawblades, which would super-suck. For this year, I’ll live with whatever the situation dictates, but might revisit further narrowing for 2020.

Note to self: tomorrow night I need to set the rear subframe to reference heights and measure angle of frame rail top surface (it is flat), then measure angle of body in current position so I can adjust subframe angle before I start tacking.

Tick tock.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/20/19 8:55 a.m.

Just skimmed the thread. I like it... A lot! Very inspiring. Please don't paint it.

JT
JT New Reader
9/20/19 9:14 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

My goal has been to keep him from even washing it... so far, so good 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/19 9:20 a.m.

Rock n roll, man!  Looking good!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/20/19 9:30 a.m.

AC will be providing free tetanus shots prior to ride alongs at the Challenge!  Less impact to budget than paint.

Nice progress!  Eliot did some nice work on the aluminum subframe welding!

AngryCorvair
9/20/19 11:04 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:

Just skimmed the thread. I like it... A lot! Very inspiring. Please don't paint it.

this makes me smile because so much of my "jumping off the high dive, will learn to swim on the way down" attitude was inspired by following PACC Racing builds over the years.  thanks for the feedback, and best of luck getting the Fairmont back on track.

AngryCorvair
9/20/19 11:05 a.m.
JT said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

it's true, every word.  my exterior cosmetics plan is to clean the drivers side of the windshield.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
9/20/19 11:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
JT said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

it's true, every word.  my exterior cosmetics plan is to clean the drivers side of the windshield.

This would be a good job for me- forgot to list “rally car window washer” on my resume...

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Df20NpHkIMzDYo23FD1LtTKsEYZU8daMcPoVXNoqYRHR0CNDrxSc3AueG0nQUQNg