1 2 3 ... 5
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:00 p.m.

Bored outta my mind this winter, sub-freezing weather and no heat in shop, needed an indoor workbench project... aka the kitchen table. 

Catching mice w/ the Victor traps w/ Wilson's greasy pepperoni is a no brainer but not much fun really. 

I like a challenge tho. This build idea came to me one night after several beers. A little research chasing parts, several more beers and parts were ordered. Had a lotta hardware parts already laying around, not gettin' crazy, keep it kinda cheap anyhow. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/7/18 8:05 p.m.

I'm going to need more information to explain exactly what we are looking at. Somehow I think this won't be a mouse's favorite thing.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 8:07 p.m.

An electronic mouse grater, with cutting board.  I love it.  Now you need the infomercial.......Yours for $19.99.. But if you act now..... 

Some of my best work has been done after a couple of beers.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:12 p.m.

Trigger centered around a 24 vdc retro-reflective PNP sensor. I had 120V solenoid valves and relays but went all 24 vdc... because cheap. Sensor was maybe $13 w/ free shipping... slow boat from China, about two weeks. 

The project mounts on an old cutting board, it was actually within arms reach of my kitchen table work bench. Adel clamp to mount, it swivels for adjustment. Had the 3/8 fuel tubing and compression fitting in the shop. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:19 p.m.

Power supply, previously shown is 120 vac to 24 vdc, cheap Chinese E36 M3. Relay was about $8. Had the terminal strip and wire... lotta blue wire, can ya tell? Diodes were cheap too and fit according to plan. Nothing is soldered.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:22 p.m.

So, will it be a mouse chipper/shredder?

Mouse guillotine?

Mouse hydraulic iron maiden? 

Mouse trebuchet?

Just what in the hell am I looking at?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/7/18 8:23 p.m.

Are you building a better mousetrap? laugh

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 8:23 p.m.

This is grate.   Don't have clue what you are doing, but I'll follow along.   Beats a string and a 5 gallon bucket.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:30 p.m.

Old 120V computer power cord, ordered the socket I wanted for a buck-two-ninety-eight. Quick disconnect 1/4" pneumatic couplers and hose from my stash.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/18 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Maybe it's a Mickey Mousenator.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:36 p.m.

My 20 y/o portable air tank I redid and painted this summer w/ better fittings, valve and gauge.

It's kinda bulky but okay for testing. Needs stickers FTW.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:49 p.m.

Projectiles are common pencil eraser tips. Fit nicely in the fuel tubing and tubing vise for cut off. Ground the pencil wood outta the sleeve but don't think that matters. I lost a E36 M3load during testing already. Been thinking making a flechette w/ a TIG tungsten or a fish hook barb, that could get bloody, maybe wait on that. 

EastCoastMojo
2/7/18 8:55 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

Maybe it's a Mickey Mousenator.

Looks more like a Mouse Terminator. Perhaps Mouse Vaporizer? Either way, we're going to need video of this in action. laugh

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 8:58 p.m.

Test set up on the bench. Toothpaste sample ya get from the dental hygenist was about the right size and weight. Trilene to pull it around.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/18 9:02 p.m.

Is this some kind of rail gun? I need to see a video with explanation. 

Have you seen Shawn Woods' YouTube channel? Just do a search for mousetrap Monday. He tests commercial traps and builds a variety of different types.

Many of the traps he builds and tests are reproductions from a mediaeval book.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 9:05 p.m.

Sacrificial target toothpaste sample after a couple test fires and sensor adjustments. Pulling right to left at varying speed that's a good shot

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/7/18 9:07 p.m.

This right here flat  cracks me up!!!!.....Hey y'all this is Cabin Fever on steroids....step back from the screen and no one will get hurt....clean up on aisle four!! wink

EastCoastMojo
2/7/18 9:08 p.m.

I don't see any toothpaste leaking out. Is it a confirmed kill? laugh

I am honestly way too excited about this.

Will
Will UltraDork
2/7/18 9:14 p.m.
fasted58 said:

Old 120V computer power cord, ordered the socket I wanted for a buck-two-ninety-eight. Quick disconnect 1/4" pneumatic couplers and hose from my stash.

I'm confused. How many decimal places does your monetary system have?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/7/18 9:15 p.m.

me thinks there's a #2 eraser in that dad gum tubeotoofpaste.....

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 9:19 p.m.

Video is coming, waiting for Smugmug to process. First time hosting directly from Smugmug. If not then YouTube.

Pretty cool in 1/4 speed and at 100 psi. devil

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/7/18 10:28 p.m.

It's slo-mo... wait for it

Full screen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkL3JUKqK3g

Had to edit for light, filmed at 1/4 speed w/ crappy S5 cam. I need better filming gear.

Target was moving way faster than shown, like anticipated mouse speed. 

Needs some tweaks yet but that'll do some damage.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/18 11:06 p.m.

That is great.   A very entertaining build.  

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
2/8/18 3:42 a.m.

awesome!

EastCoastMojo
2/8/18 4:07 a.m.

Hey man, nice shot!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uYdBRcfgSYudBLSseoIng0Jql2VD6JUiGrSNclkEM3BDNnBesw7wpxAsk5Lm71zy