1 2 3 4 5
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/11/18 5:53 p.m.

Thinking cap on... aka three beers later.

Watched the test video again and found the beam sensor is spot on, pretty pin point to trigger w/ a head or shoulder shot shown on the toothpaste target. This was tested w/ moving target at 24" from sensor. Sensor range is 2 meters/ 6'-6". Been placing the reflector at around 5-6' w/ bait at 3' anticipating a crossing from the basement access to kitchen where the Mouser is set up. Pretty stoked about the first kill but the last three have been hits w/o fatal. May have to place the reflector or bait in closer. Without a cam I'm just guessing.

There should be plenty of pressure even w/ the inner sleeves of the tube connectors. When I disconnect the quick disconnect coupler at the tank there is still ample pressure in the 5' of 1/4" hose for a stinging shot. If restriction proves an issue later I could add a long 1/4" nipple between the solenoid valve and hose coupler for a 'surge tank'. Otherwise pressure is holding and no leaky. 

Measured the barrel bore w/ transfer punch at 5/16" w/ a good sliding fit. Focus on projectiles and aim next.

@ RevRico: Great idea there. I dunno about projectile design enough but it's a 5/16" sliding fit, weight unknown although when I tried to weigh the eraser tip and cig filter/ nail combo they came in at less than 1 gram on my electronic postal scale. Maybe something w/ a medieval killing tip FTW. 

@ Crackers: The nail appeared to tumble in after hitting something, it lodged right in line of sight of the barrel. Barrel centerline is 3/4" off the floor, nail lodged in the beer box at 2-1/4", reflector mounted on short side of 2X4 would be 1-3/4" at best. Maybe the barrel needs leveled for longer range tho. Maybe duct taped to the floor too, I didn't check for kick but wouldn't be surprised. The board was taped to the bench during testing.

@ oldopelguy: I likes the ideas. Plenty of pencils tip leftovers too... eat lead motherberkeleyer!

Maybe this is projectile answer:

Not crazy about steel ball shot bouncing around in the kitchen tho. Windows, range and microwave door. E36 M3, the eraser tips bounced everywhere in bench testing. Need to wear face shield in testing. 

Starting on the bucket roller trap for the garage tonight... after a few more beers. smiley

The things that keep me amused.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/18 6:49 p.m.

7.8mm diameter, height of 20mm shared by all of them. I did a solid and hollow variant of each. I'll weigh them when I get some printed, but software says less than a gram, which is adjustable.  I'll make a bunch of each this week and get them to you. 

Honestly I expect them to shatter either with air pressure or on impact, but I might mess with the density and see what I can come up with. I'm also going to keep messing around and see what kind of shapes I can make work. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/11/18 6:54 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Rev, that is berkeleying awesome

print your own mouse rail gun ammo at home!

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
2/11/18 7:11 p.m.

For a printed projectile, how about some combination of flat head pellet and foster slug? 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/11/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to TenToeTurbo :

Holy berkeley, this is gettin' good

RevRico
2/11/18 7:27 p.m.

Still working on this one... Might not be a great idea. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
2/11/18 8:36 p.m.

My thinking here is maximum energy transfer for maximum trauma and a quick, humane death. A cylindrical cavity in the front of a printed pellet could hold a steel BB for an additional 5 grams right at the business end. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/11/18 8:48 p.m.

@ Rev and TenToe

Rifled slug in smooth bore barrel like Rev's design or Foster slug would be great, keeping it more stable. Sensor range is 6' and anticipated kill range is only 3' but for some reason I been missing the kill. 

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

I'm obsessing, dammit.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/11/18 8:56 p.m.

Added a barrel clamp, there was some vertical play after removing the tube clamps from the supply side tubing. Found a CO2 refill cylinder in the old toolbox, may come into play later w/ a portable unit. Dunno if they can even recharge these things yet, this is prolly 70's - 80's era. 

I'll duct tape the board to the floor too, gotta be some reason the shot was going high far as I can tell.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/12/18 6:02 a.m.

Moved Mouser to another corridor and bagged a juvenile w/ eraser tip. Kill #2. Stupid little berkeley. 

Reflector range about 30". Used less than 5 lbs air according to gauge. This contraption might work out after all.

Gonna need a motion cam. 

RevRico
2/12/18 12:41 p.m.

First set of darts are printed... They're really light, but only 12% density. I'm going to run off a dozen of each type at 12%, 50% 75, and 100%. See what, if any, difference there is. And I have enough colors to color code them, you know, for science. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/12/18 2:46 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

They look killer devil

RevRico
2/12/18 6:56 p.m.

There are the four tips I've made so far. Left to right, basic point, double point, that spikey tower, and the twist bit.

The tower and twist bit need some work now that I've seen them printed, but I've been able to print a dozen at a time in like 45 minutes, so we'll call it a wash for now. The twist bit does look better than it photographs. 

I have 2 more types to print yet, then the hollow versions, then all over again at 50 and 100% infill. But little one went to bed, so my time in the office is over today. 

Feeling how light these solid ones are, I'm going to redesign the hollow ones to make sure a BB fits into the hollow for weight, I think it will help flight.

I found a wind tunnel simulator for my computer, might try running some of these through it to pretend I know what I'm doing. 

slightly better focus on this shot. If you zoom in, you can see while the spike ring on the tower printed, the spikes are way too small to be effective. Also, magically, the threaded pieces lined up on the twist bit pretty damn well. 

20mm long, 7.8mm diameter. I weighed them because I was curious, and maybe someone can use the info. 

Twist 0.43 grams

Double spike 0.36 grams

Single point 0.4 grams

Spike tower 0.53 grams in current state. 

I just googled it, and the average BB gun BB weighs .35 grams. I still have one design to print that is shaped like a normal bullet with a hole for a BB on it as well.

I wonder if there's a weight limit for range before it gets to unstable or slow. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
2/12/18 8:06 p.m.

I don't know where I got 5 grams from. Sounded like a lot. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/12/18 8:16 p.m.

Do we have a weight on the eraser bullets? Looks like we have two confirmed kills with those, right? Or was the second kill with a modified projectile?

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
2/12/18 8:17 p.m.

#1½ buck shot measures 0.31" and weighs nearly 3 grams. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/12/18 8:32 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Dude, those look WICKED

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/12/18 8:35 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Do we have a weight on the eraser bullets? Looks like we have two confirmed kills with those, right? Or was the second kill with a modified projectile?

My electronic postal scale won't read below 1 gram. So, two bullet nosed eraser tips come in at 1 gram so around .5 gram at least.

I'd think even the flat nosed eraser tips kill by blunt force or hydraulic shock. I later found the nail/ cig filter flechette came apart in flight or after hitting something. Nail was stuck backwards in beer box backstop, paper filter outer below it and filter medium a foot or so away. RTV should seal that all together. 

Shooting more level now I believe since adding the barrel clamp.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/13/18 5:24 p.m.

Surprisingly no triggers overnight, out of service now because company came over. 

Made up some more nail/ filter flechette's after initial fired one came apart, RTV sealer adhesive to hold it together. Fugly. If the flechette 'sticks' maybe I can pinpoint the shot. A vernier type adjustment on the beam sensor would be kinda cool too, adjusting for range and 'lead' on a moving target. 

Inner sleeve ID of the tubing connectors is about 1/16", although got kill w/ eraser tip at 100 psi. Shot didn't sound as crisp w/ that sleeve as compared to straight 1/4" ID tube. Gonna try a surge tank right at the solenoid valve. Ordering 1/4" X 5" brass nipple to install between the solenoid valve and tube connector. 

Prolly deploy Mouser in basement tonight. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/13/18 9:37 p.m.

Bucket roller trap for garage

Had 1" PVC pipe already cut from another project. Pressed 3/8 washers into each end. 

3/8" all thread, couple spacers and beer box cardboard cut for center obstacle thingy

1/4 bucket full of water, MRE PB bait and scrap wood ramps. In service. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/15/18 5:32 p.m.

Bagged these overnight w/ the garage bucket roller trap. 

Over two acres of woods behind my place, field mice push into the garage over winter and have caused mayhem before. They usually don't take to house mouse bait but they took to the MRE PB. 

That's a win.

No hits on the Mouser in the basement yet. 

Might have to change up the bait a bit... kinda like fishin'. laugh

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
2/15/18 5:55 p.m.

Three mice in one trap overnight? Flippin amazing. I had one roaming around the house last year and tried for a week to get it with no luck. Even let my wife's worthless cat in the house a few nights to get it. I think it finally just left on it's own. Just gone with no sign and no remains ever found.

RevRico
2/15/18 6:01 p.m.

Well, all the lightweight and middle weight darts are printed, I started on the heavy weight ones now.

12% was .4 grams

50% is .5 grams

100% is .72 grams

That's just the single pointed ones though. These 100% solid darts take a while to print. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/15/18 7:50 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Sounds good

Maybe I could bench test 'em in foam target for carnage.... er, scientific value. devil

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/16/18 7:58 p.m.

Bagged another juvenile in the basement last night w/ the filter/ rusty nail flechette. No blood tho, mouse was found dead about 5' away from Mouser kill zone, not good. Still don't think these fly stable enough. That's three Mouser kills so far.

Bagged another mouse in the bucket roller trap last night too. Four kills there now. I expect more w/ the heavy rains lately, it's pretty berkeleying squishy outside. 

5/16 steel shot ammo arrived this afternoon. Loaded and ready now. This oughta be good. devil

1/4" X 5"  brass nipple is on the way, that oughta boost muzzle velocity. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CEsp8pNPgEI7OTcP84UA0bB5ThiNYvNTgZRFlTdUJOxFoMpvEMWnkKpO8KmKCgUp