1 2 3 4 5
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/16/18 8:01 p.m.

With the steel shot, perhaps a good sized speaker magnet as a backstop will make them easier to find post-firing. laugh

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/19/18 2:20 a.m.

Was hoping for carnage w/ 5/16 steel shot ammo. Holy berkeley !!.

Head shot, critter never knew what hit it. Fourth Mouser kill.

Tore the E36 M3 outta the reflector, pieces flew everywhere. frown

Shots w/ eraser and flechettes only bounced off the reflector, steel shot berkeleying annihilated it.

Maybe gotta tune it down some. devil

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/20/18 3:54 a.m.

Did a little tune-up last night. Installed a 1/4" X 4" brass nipple on the air supply side, might give it a little more punch. Checked the voltage from the power supply, spot on. Replaced the blown out reflector w/ a spare one. Used a long piece of 5/16" drill rod  in the barrel to spot centerline and aimed the beam sensor, more centered now. Reloaded w/ eraser tip, no more steel ball ammo. It was awesome but tore E36 M3 up. 

Critters are hitting on crackers w/ PB now, leaving the bread alone. Little berkeleywads stole a couple pieces but keep coming back now. Heard the shot from upstairs.

Mouser kill #5, yay. 

3 kills w/ eraser tips

1 kill w/ filter/ nail flechette

1 kill w/ 5/16 steel ball ammo

Sold my old trail cam a while back, new trail cam on the way. Night vision video w/ motion FTW. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/18 6:57 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing it.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
2/20/18 9:23 a.m.

This is surely one of the greatest things in the history of......everything.  I don't even have any mice in the house/garage and I'm still considering building one, it's just that awesome.

Fantastic!  Please carry on.

yes

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
2/20/18 10:26 a.m.
fasted58 said:

Shots w/ eraser and flechettes only bounced off the reflector, steel shot berkeleying annihilated it.

Reflective tape will solve your shattering issue.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/20/18 6:46 p.m.
The0retical said:
fasted58 said:

Reflective tape will solve your shattering issue.

Any recommendation for reflective tape? Truck/ trailer tape? Having trouble finding something suitable. I have chrome, foil and maybe some prismatic tape to try.

My sensor reflector has a micro-grid similar to garage door opener photo cell reflectors:

I doubt common driveway reflectors would work as well.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/22/18 9:34 p.m.

No Mouser action over the last day, they picked at the bait tho so they're still coming in. 

Trail cam arrived today and is set up now:

It's a little guy at 3.5" wide X 5" long X 3" deep w/ mounting bracket attached and less than 1.5 lbs. Appears good quality and was easy to set up. 1080P, 12 MP set to video only. Didn't do a test video, just put in service tonight. Mounted on camera tripod w/ the 1/4" stud mount. Lights out and waiting for action. 

Garage bucket trap has seen no more action either, 4 kills there tho. Garage mice were always tough to figure out bait wise w/ the Victor traps. Bucket trap is the new go to. 

Hope to get some video of a Mouser kill or at least watch 'em takin' bait... might have to change my bait strategy. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/23/18 4:37 p.m.

No Mouser hits last night, studying the videos now. Cam sensor triggered the video cam six times. Video duration set at 30 sec. recording/ trigger but didn't show in the night vision illumination at this close a range. Cam placement at under the minimum recommended 3 meter range but it's all good.

Finally got the goods on this critter tho, skittish to say the least and I know the direction of approach now. 

Changing bait placement for tonights hunt. 

This oughta be good. 

Like a cat n mouse game. devil

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/23/18 5:14 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Did you just call yourself a Bob Costas?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/23/18 6:45 p.m.

PB/ cracker bait ✓

100 psi air ✓

Mouser set ✓

Trail cam set ✓

Cold 30-pack beer ✓

Blood pool near the far end of the 2X4 is from 5/16 steel shot kill

Night hunt is on

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/23/18 9:59 p.m.

Mouser bait test w/ Trail Cam last night, night vision and motion detection. 

The light washout is from the night illumination at close range and I suspect the reflector too. 

This critter was pretty skittish, got scared off in another cam video by footsteps upstairs, MIC is very sensitive and caught it... prolly was fetching a late night beer there. laugh

One more step and the beam sensor woulda caught yo ass. 

Gonna need a good video editing site. Any recommendations?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/18 9:17 a.m.

Swung by the post office today to get the darts sent down to you just because I don't know when I'll have time to come down. 

Woman at the counter said your address isn't an address, so I told her to send it as is since my gps took me right there, and I'll watch the tracking.if it doesn't make it, I'll just print more. 

coexist
coexist Reader
2/24/18 10:32 a.m.

Windows Movie Maker is free and decent

Movie Maker

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/24/18 2:56 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Sent you an email, hope the address was correct. Was gonna plan a combined trip up that way but didn't happen. Like to see that 3D printer before I pop on one. 

I'll be on the lookout. Thanks again. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/24/18 3:00 p.m.

In reply to coexist :

I have a '12 version of WMM on my computer but it won't work, may be too old for Win 10.

I been skeptical of anything Windows but WMM comes up in the top 4-5 of all site reviews w/ Lightworks, Shotcut and Filmora. Probably give that a shot. Thanks. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/24/18 3:45 p.m.

Mouser triggered after 5 a.m., calling it a hit but not a kill. Video recording timed out at 30 secs. and missed it. He took the bait but dropped it after the shot I presume and never came back. Hope he didn't crawl in a hole and die, yuk.

This is one cagey critter, he stops just before the beam as if he can see/ sense it... and/ or the Cam IR bouncing off the reflector? Don't know about that yet. 

Shawn Woods says in some of his trap videos that mice have their own personalities and some are smarter than others, agreed from my observations. I'm betting this one is an alpha of the clan. Super skittish and cagey, ain't dumb that's for sure. 

Probably take Mouser out of service for the day, install leveling screws on the base and get laundry done. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/26/18 8:07 p.m.

Received these today USPS from RevRico

Holy Mother... of Mouser Ammo surprise

Red is 12% density, white 50% and black 100% density.

Gotta do a bench top shootout. Gonna pick up some foam insulation sheet this week. 

I'm gonna need more mice!!!! devil

And this is why I need a 3D printer.

This is fun stuff. 

Thanks Rev, much appreciated, owe ya one!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/27/18 4:39 p.m.

Added leveling screws to four corners of the board and a circular bubble level. Basement floor had pitch to the floor drain, at least one shot hit low. Barrel center line is 3/4" off bottom, about perfect height for mousie. 

Did a 1/4-20 test tap in the high density polyethelene board. Screw was a little loose w/ #7 tap drill, dropped drill size down and nice n tight now. Dawn w/ water for tap lube. Thumbscrews FTW. May hot glue the bubble level on later.

Left the bait out, no hits going on three days. No sign or activity upstairs either. 

I just might be outta mice. indecision

Time to start planning a compact unit. CO2 cartridge w/ adapter, 24 vdc rechargable battery that fits in a plastic ammo box. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/27/18 4:56 p.m.

Apparently I fumigated a mouse out of my project car this morning when I cranked up my truck. She runs rich when cold, and I had parked with the exhaust aimed toward the Valamino. I saw the rascal make a run for it down the driveway. I may need to employ some traps (or something) of my own soon. Can't have any chewers "helping" my project along!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/27/18 5:36 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

If you see one there are more, prolly 4-5 as I seen.

Bucket/ roller trap w/ PB worked great in the garage. Bagged four w/ in a couple days, no more since, calling that clan goners. Victor traps never worked that well and as fast.

Mice cost me a lotta time and money w/ my vehicles. 

Shawn Woods/ Mouse Trap Monday YouTube Channel has a lot of live or kill traps reviewed on his channel for just about any application. Many home built or cheap.

Thanks to Floating Doc for that recommendation. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru-MPO1xjes4FVn61JUQ

yesyes

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/5/18 11:19 p.m.

Mouser kill #6

Removed Mouser from service for upgrades last week but left bait out. No bait hits in five days, thought they were gone. With bait hits yesterday Mouser was back in service last night. 

Set the reflector upright which narrowed the beam trigger width, shoulda tried that before. One step at a time tho. 

Good hit ! Found the eraser tip ten feet away.

Mouser never sleeps.  

Film at eleven.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/6/18 4:09 a.m.
AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/6/18 7:40 a.m.

Wow! That's intense. 

I was tasked with the duty of putting up some curtain stays over the weekend and the drywall anchors made me think about your ammo...

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
3/6/18 10:25 a.m.

How long before you step into the beam and take a shot to the foot?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YgDKYldJqdjaewzWfUqLV5TV8CDD2Ao9wFdB6PdiiELCcPqPeZq8zs5HHkmyVgMF